What are your favorite diabetic snack foods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bringing us back to Jawnn's original question; do we know of any great diabetic snacks?

Fresh fruit, in the northern part of North America are great snacks. Think cherries, berries of all kinds, apples, pears, pawpaw, Persimmons, Kiwi (yes there is a northern variety), tomato slices, and others.

Low sugar fruit leather is good. melon cubes, hard boiled eggs, dill pickles, peppers, peas straight from the pod, celery with cream cheese, smoked fish, sardines, fried pork rinds, fried and drained chicken skin, Jicama salad, sliced avocado, nuts in reasonable serving sizes (calorie intense don't you know), sunflower seeds, pistachios, small chunks of high quality dark chocolate (let it sit between cheek and teeth and melt slowly), and I'm sure others will come back and offer other great, low-carb snacks.

Everyone, think of some hot snacks too, like a great broth that can be sipped from a mug, or something.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Finding the right snack foods can be difficult and frustrating because the answer will change over time.

When this thread started I could still enjoy a small orange, a few cubes of melon, an apple or a glass of skim milk with half a peanut butter sandwich. These days those snacks would cause a sharp spike in my blood sugar.

I still have a small handful of nuts or a spoon of peanut butter. A chunk of cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, a Claussen dill pickle, tuna salad, zero carb deli meats and zero carb hot dogs make a quick snack. I also find a glass of ice cold V8 or tomato juice with some prepared horseradish and a shot of Worcestershire sauce makes a good snack or mocktail during happy hour.

I am just getting used to having diabetes and picking out good snacks.

So far raw veggies are a go-to as is whole-wheat toast with some form of nut butter or a small orange.

I plan to check out this thread for more ideas. So far I have been able to manage with diet and exercise, and I want to keep it that way.

As my health was getting worse and worse and doctor have told me to eat less sugar and salt, I have started eating healthy snacks. My latest favorite snack is Carbmasters cherry yogurt from the Ralphs Grocery store. And the best thing which I love most is when I want ice cream, I pop it into the freezer and WOW, great.:)

I have been a diabetic for more than 20 years. I didn't go overboard in changing my diet. In fact, at the beginning I resisted changing my diet at all. But a few trips to the ER changed my mind. Now I can't even remember what I used to eat that was so deadly for me. I still refuse to eat sugarless candies though. And over the years, my mantra has become, "No thank you, I am diabetic."

Some folks will honor that. Others tell me about their uncle or cousin who is a diabetic and eats anything they want. My favorite response to that is, "I am not one of your relatives."

You can get used to eating properly over the years. And before you know it the pounds start falling off, and you have more energy. The new diet will become second nature to you and you will not miss all the bad foods you used to eat. Some may even become repulsive to you. :angel:

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes, my blood glucose was hovering around 250-300 mg/dl pretty much all the time. It was pure hell at the time. Constant thirst, followed by bathroom trips every 30 minutes, burning eyes, tingly feet - the whole diabetic experience. Luckily my doctor gave me a chance to right the ship before putting me on medication. What I ended up doing was going on a very strict ketogenic diet. If you're not familiar with it, it's a very low carb and high fat diet.

My blood sugar is now routinely between 75 and 95 (just checked it a few minutes ago and it's 81). It rarely goes higher than that. No medication whatsoever. I'm also around 100 lbs lighter than I once was. For all intents and purposes, I'm no longer diabetic. That's not to say I'm cured, because if I went back to unregulated eating of pizza, pasta, bread, cookies etc., I would no doubt end up right back where I was.

Addie is correct. You get used to eating whatever it takes to keep things under control. Despite this, I constantly have people who ask "How can you deprive yourself of life's pleasures?" By "pleasures," they're referring to things like doughnuts, birthday cake, and popcorn at the movies. To me, these things aren't pleasures. Pleasure, to me, is being able to be physically active as I grow older or living long enough to enjoy grandchildren. Pleasure is not having to worry about eventually going blind, or ending up in a wheelchair. I'll take those things anytime over a slice of pizza. ;)

Last edited:
Addie is correct. You get used to eating whatever it takes to keep things under control. Despite this, I constantly have people who ask "How can you deprive yourself of life's pleasures?" By "pleasures," they're referring to things like doughnuts, birthday cake, and popcorn at the movies. To me, these things aren't pleasures. Pleasure, to me, is being able to be physically active as I grow older or living long enough to enjoy grandchildren. Pleasure is not having to worry about eventually going blind, or ending up in a wheelchair. I'll take those things anytime over a slice of pizza. ;)

When I lost all the weight, one of the pleasures I found was to be able to cross my legs without even thinking about it. It is the small "pleasures" in life that can give us the most joy. And eating a sensible diet before you become diabetic can be the biggest pleasure you can give yourself.

Search the web. Look for safe foods for a diabetic to have for a snack. If you have noticed, so many of us have listed peanut butter. Natural PB. Sure you have to stir it. All the oil rises to the top. You can purchase a PB stirrer to be used right in the jar. Robot Check
I love mine and use it with every jar of natural PB/salt as the only other ingredient. The lid will fit the majority of jars on your grocer's shelves. What to put the PB on? Wheat Thins, saltines, wheat, oatmeal, light rye bread are all good choices. And PB sticks with you. (no pun intended.) It leaves you with a feeling of being satisfied and full.

Popcorn is probably the worst choice for a snack food. Corn is pure carb. Think corn syrup used as a sweetening agent in so many of our foods. Become a back label reader. Corn syrup is one of those hidden sugars in our prepared foods.

I will often make myself a baked potato. I just go easy on the toppings. Salt and a pat of butter does it for me. A potato is full of nutrition. But I make sure it is a small tater. And yes, I do eat the skin. The whole veggie!

Also a diabetic has to be careful of the fruits they eat. A lot of them can be very high in natural sugars. Watermelon has the lowest amount of any fruit.

Give yourself some pleasures of life. :angel:

since those had been mentioned earlier, I was looking for additional items. What kids hasn't had Ants On A Log! :angel:

They're not great choices for diabetics, though, which is the topic. The Chief had a great list of snacks that won't raise one's blood sugar.

Last edited:
I have several friends that are diabetic and when I entertain or bring something to their place, one of my mainstays in the house is a spread or dip.This can be used on veggies, gluten free crackers, meat, etc. Here is one of my staple snacks.
Get sweet potato and slice very thin, almost like a chip or cracker and either microwave or bake them with just a spritz of olive oil and pink Himalayan salt. Basic spread..In a bowl take regular or low fat cream cheese softened then add:diced or mined or grated Habanero peppers, Jalapeno, green onions, garlic, ground cumin, salt and mix or put all in a processor...unless you like the chunks of peppers :) To thin out the spread, you can use sour cream or yogurt, depending upon if you are making a spread or dip...Now spread or dip and you're good to go! Enjoy!

Frozen green grapes. Taste like Candy :)

That's because, basically, it IS candy. And not a good choice for keeping blood sugar under control.

Reading through some of the responses in this thread, I am truly surprised. Here are a few other examples that had me shaking my head:

• Plain Cheerios right out of the box.
  • Triscuits
  • Utz pretzel rods
  • A small banana
  • plain Rice Cakes

Do people not realize that from your body's perspective there is virtually no difference between sugar and starch? They all end up in your bloodstream as glucose. Any of the foods on this list is going to cause elevated blood glucose levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom