What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, today was full of stress. I got a grocery delivery. When the delivery person was here, I asked if that was all. It seemed like my stuff would need more than one box. Well, we emptied the box and ticked off all the stuff we got. Looks like we only got the stuff that goes in the "climate controlled storage". Two boxes and one bottle of red wine missing. Also, the cracker assortment and the potato chips were missing. So, I promptly phoned customer service. The agent was very nice and tried to get the driver to come back, but it was apparently too late. So, the agent issued me a refund for the missing stuff.

So, I quick snagged a delivery timeslot for tomorrow and placed an order for the missing stuff plus another item.

Then the doorbell rang again and it was the delivery person, back with the rest of my order. I could tell right away that it was all there, but it was BBQ chips in a smaller format than what I had ordered, so they went back with the driver.

Now, I had almost all of my stuff, but I had refund for it. I phoned customer service again. I explained the problem to the agent. I needed to cancel the refund, except for the potato chips. The agent seemed to understand right away and fixed it. It even looks like it has been fixed correctly.

Then, I updated tomorrow's delivery from a different grocery store. I added another of the missing potato chips. I had originally ordered one bag in each order, just in case one store was out or screwed up. One of the stores tends to have better prices. The other one will deliver wine. And I am exhausted from this foofarall. It doesn't help that DH has pulled some muscles in his back and we don't want him making it worse. We had the frozen pizza that came in that grocery delivery for our supper. I'm really glad that was all I had to do for supper.

Laundry. Again. How do two people dirty so many fabric items? Like everywhere we are, we ain't going nekkid around here either. :LOL:
I totally understand! Some years back, I bought some Laundry Sorting Hampers - so, I sort as we use things. When a hamper gets filled up, I do that one hamper. I do a lot fewer loads during the summer! Anyway, point being, I no longer have "laundry day". It works for me!

I have a similar setup, @GinnyPNW. Four baskets in the basement, one each for hot whites (can't bring myself to doing bottoms underwear in anything cooler), darks, cold whites, and cold darks. I have washed our shirts in cold for decades...and some of our tops are that old! A sweatshirt I bought at Historic Williamsburg in 1988 can still be worn in public in a pinch.

We have been in OH for over two weeks. We plan on heading back to MA next Thursday - and I can't wait. Why, you might ask? Because I need a good night's sleep. When we were here for the wedding in October, I found out that there was a slow leak in the air mattress. We planned on buying a new one to bring with us at Christmas. Well...the slow leak isn't so slow anymore. I'm now waking up about every other hour to refill the air "flattress".

I WILL remember to get a new one before we return!

I am working on pork and shrimp wantons. I bought some wanton wrappers and had them in the freezer.
I had the shrimp and the pork. I went to the store and got what I needed except I could not find rice wine or dry sherry. Most the recipes called for that ingredient. I had vermouth.
I made the stock last night and made the filling. Later today I will make the wantons. I have never done this, but it looks pretty easy.
I sure hope they come out good. I put a lot of work into this project.

I am working on pork and shrimp wantons. I bought some wanton wrappers and had them in the freezer.
I had the shrimp and the pork. I went to the store and got what I needed except I could not find rice wine or dry sherry. Most the recipes called for that ingredient. I had vermouth.
I made the stock last night and made the filling. Later today I will make the wantons. I have never done this, but it looks pretty easy.
I sure hope they come out good. I put a lot of work into this project.
I'm sure they will be great! The only caution I would share is that you want to be careful when you good the dumplings. Don't cook them too high or too long. They will start to fall apart if you do so. And, yes, they are easy & nothing like homemade!

First pece of advise I can give you, is only put out a few 'skins' to fill then close. As you start to get the hang of it you can add more 'skin' to your line-up.
Lay out (a few)
fill
water edge & fold
lay out
fill
water edge & fold
repeat...

Freeze them on a tray, package in amounts you think you would use at a meal.

Found these at the local thrift store yesterday. Bought them out.
Very curious as to when did McDonalds do this?

Anyone know? All the plates are in the original boxes.

First pece of advise I can give you, is only put out a few 'skins' to fill then close. As you start to get the hang of it you can add more 'skin' to your line-up.
Lay out (a few)
fill
water edge & fold
lay out
fill
water edge & fold
repeat...

Freeze them on a tray, package in amounts you think you would use at a meal.

@Roll_Bones

+1

When i first started making chinese dumplings i could do about 4, then 8, now 12 at a time because that's all the plastic cutting board i use for them will hold at a time.

I also found thst using a scoop that holds about a tablespoon of filling is extremely helpful in filling speed.

Last edited:
Found these at the local thrift store yesterday. Bought them out.
Very curious as to when did McDonalds do this?

Anyone know? All the plates are in the original boxes.
McDonalds did not do this. Franklin Mint did it. I'm betting you could search that way and find out the date...or check the back of a plate?

I didn't even know they existed.
Neither did I.
What I found was 3 out of the 5. And a huge stack almost as tall as me, just sitting in a corner of other Franklin Mint collector plates in the original boxes with the paperwork, stands and who they were sent to to begin with. They didn't charge me full price for all the stuff I bought yesterday. They almost killed me with a lamp they knocked off a shelf :) that skimmed my head. Free delivery to.
I think I've possibly tripped on a goldmine here. I'll find pics of the other plates found asap.

McDonalds did not do this. Franklin Mint did it. I'm betting you could search that way and find out the date...or check the back of a plate?
I have 5 all paperwork included.
Golden Dreams
Golden Showcase
Golden Country
Golden Apple
Ring in the New Year Millennium 2,000
Artist Bill Bell.
Plate #'s
Still interesting. Now to find a neon Golden Arch sign.
It would be one awesome looking dining room.

At the end of 2022, I completed this tea towel. It matches the one I made for my sister shortly after we lost Dad in February. My mother loved bluebirds, and we lost her in 2012, so I thought the towels reminded me of the two of them. Dad would do the work and Mom would come up with the style of all things associated with the house.

I'm not a very crafty person, so this was a labor of love and remembrance.

Attachments

• 2023-01-01 18.12.32.jpg
    2023-01-01 18.12.32.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I'm sure they will be great! The only caution I would share is that you want to be careful when you good the dumplings. Don't cook them too high or too long. They will start to fall apart if you do so. And, yes, they are easy & nothing like homemade!
Well they came out good. I did not know the wrappers needed to be at room temp when I tried to make a single one. It cracked. Then I looked it up and sure enough they are supposed to be at room temp.
I used a very thin egg wash to seal and that might have been overkill. I'm sure water would work as well. I used water on my test wonton and it did not open.
I could not get the the points together so they were triangles. Problem with that is the wonton get so soft, you cannot pick up a whole dumpling to eat it. I may have put to much filling in? I used about a tablespoon. I didn't measure and used the end of a butter knife.
I have filling left and half the wontons. So I will try to make them in the correct shape.

At the end of 2022, I completed this tea towel. It matches the one I made for my sister shortly after we lost Dad in February. My mother loved bluebirds, and we lost her in 2012, so I thought the towels reminded me of the two of them. Dad would do the work and Mom would come up with the style of all things associated with the house.

I'm not a very crafty person, so this was a labor of love and remembrance.
Absolutely beautiful.
Love it. :)

Going to get things done that I've been putting off doing.
The new dining room set arrived last night. The furniture store told me it would be a week. Along with my new furniture. They have to special order it.
So today it's removing the old. Finish taping off my room for new paint. Tedious job. Bedroom set is next.
It's nice to be able to pick things that I like for a change. Instead of always going the neutral, practical route.

Kathleen, if you're not a crafty person you sure fooled me! Very well done, stiches like that take care to do and you did! Beautiful, Well Done!

Roll Bones, a Tablespoon might be just a tiny bit of overkill! LOL A teaspoon heaping is good. Fold your triangle, bring the 2 wings together in front (with a dap of water) and you have an open envelope shape. That's how I do'em.

Back
Top Bottom