What are you doing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Been thinking a lot about our friend  tinlizzie today and hoping all is well with her - considering the weather. Hurricane Ian is pounding the daylights out of southwest Florida. Our wonderful little resort, Mariners Boathouse, is in the thick of it, too. It's unlikely we'll be able to spend our customary week there this year. We  were supposed to check in a month from today. :cry:

The Fort Myers TV station has very good live coverage. If anyone is interested in Ian and his wrath, go to WINK TV.

GEEEEEZZZZ!
We are in the midst of a pretty dang good storm.
It started about 2pm AST and hit the side of our house with 60+ mph winds.
Rain, 1 inch Hail stones ...
IMG_2182.JPG
IMG_2183.JPG
IMG_2184.JPG

This what I've collected so far.
I have a call into a local roof and don'tcha know some yahoo just rang our door bell, "I was just across the street at your neighbors - blah blah blah" - I took his business card said thank you, but I've already got it covered, thanks though.
I go out into the garage and I can hear water dripping, damn it all!!!!
I think we'll be okay, I hope.

Heh Thanks guys!
*Update*
So we found out that an f1 tornado ripped through northern Arizona - so that's what it was!
Loads of damage.
Spoke with the roofing company and asked if they could come by today and put up an emergency tarp - there's a 15% chance of rain today, through tomorrow.
Also finally heard back from our Insurance guy and he suggested NOT to use the "ambulance chaser" as Mrs. NextdoorNeighbor is calling them, ya know the one that showed in the middle of the storm... and don't file an insurance claim if the cost is less than say $5000, not worth it he said.

Heh Thanks guys!
*Update*
So we found out that an f1 tornado ripped through northern Arizona - so that's what it was!
Loads of damage.
Spoke with the roofing company and asked if they could come by today and put up an emergency tarp - there's a 15% chance of rain today, through tomorrow.
Also finally heard back from our Insurance guy and he suggested NOT to use the "ambulance chaser" as Mrs. NextdoorNeighbor is calling them, ya know the one that showed in the middle of the storm... and don't file an insurance claim if the cost is less than say $5000, not worth it he said.
Tornado, wow! I'm glad it wasn't worse.

About the insurance, I would check elsewhere. The "insurance guy" may have a conflict of interest in telling you that. But, maybe he's right. Maybe the premiums will go up over time, more than what they pay out.

In that case, definitely try to find somewhere that can tell you if that is accurate. He has a definite conflict of interest in this.

It's not necessarily a bad thing that the roofer works for the insurance company. But, it can be.

An adjuster came to my house with an inspector, and both said my roof qualified for replacement. But, some kid at the home office said the damage was less than my $1,000 deductible, and that the leaks in my roof were not related to the hail storm.

I'm still fighting with Allstate about my roof, but if things don't change soon, I'm going to dump them, and move on. After 25 years of having my house and all of my cars insured with them, they will lose WAY more money than what fixing my roof would have cost.

CD

I spent most of the day trying to find a place for the rehearsal dinner. So many places do not have a "party" room, will not take reservations, or will not accommodate groups - unless you are willing to go to a high-end restaurant. Um, I want entrees no more expensive than $20 for our party of 15-20, please. Himself suggested a bucket of KFC, or maybe a procession through the Swenson's drive-through. :LOL: A round of Galley Boy burgers, perhaps?

Ended up finding a very accommodating place called "Menches Bros.", a place I've wanted to try for a number of years - ever since I learned that the Bros. claim to have originated the first hamburger sandwich in 1885. Plenty of other items to choose from if people don't want burgers. All I know is if I was invited out to eat food that I wasn't paying for, I would be happy with most anything!

IMG_2202.JPG
IMG_2203.JPG
No Sugar Added Chunky Applesauce for Mom, she loves this stuff.
There's a huge Apple tree in the parking lot of Mom's bank, I got the okay from the bank manager to pick as much as I wanted, but by the time I came back, someone else had stripped the tree bare of fruit :mad: My Green Grocer had Gala Apples on sale for 69¢ per pound ... six pounds later and I've got4 pints ... that should last Mom through the Winter with some kind of fruit.

I'm trying to get over feeling a little bit sad right now. While we're here in OH, we've I've been searching online for possible homes to buy. The longer we've lived with the idea, the more it seems like too much of a process to consider building with a custom builder. I think we've all but given up on looking for and buying a lot and going through the process of permits and improvements and all that stuff. And options for builders who put up developments and roll the costs of the house into the selling price of the house? All located within spitting distance of an interstate or busy highway.

So, I found the perfect house. Two years old, nice area, only 1.5 miles from Loverly (which was more than fine with her), and just listed yesterday. I contacted the realtors we had worked with when we lived in OH to check out a few details. The older son (who has now taken over the bulk of the work; his parents are now semi-retired) let me know today that...the house sold the same day it was listed. *sigh*

@Kaneohegirlinaz, that seems to be what happened with this house. I would not be surprised if the house wasn't already spoken for before it hit the MLS.

On the other hand, my mad search skills found the builder that built that house that was sold *poof* same day! I spoke with him for a while on Tuesday for about 15 minutes. Got the same sort of "vibe" about him as I did when we talked with the builder of our second house - competent, willing to work with his clients, a reasonable sounding person. While Himself and I won't have time to meet him in person this trip in, we plan on speaking with him when we come back. But for now...we won't be leaving until Monday. Himself and I are still coughing like crazy and didn't want to drive for two days like that.

Back
Top Bottom