Well, Saturday Night, an everything's right. 10/08

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Actually everything is NOT alright. With great anticipation and with chefy inspiration I prepared Linguine Vongole...
1. all I could find in the cupboard was Penne Rigate - ok, we'll work with that.
2. I dutifully 'purged the clams (only had 8, for just me, big little fella's)
3. Using one pan, boiled the penne for 8 minutes for al'dente.
4. Drained, saving liquid.
5. Into the pan went butter, O oil, mushrooms (my indulgence), shallot, last minute minced garlic, and some Pinto Grigio.
6. Tossed in the clams. Removed them one by one as they opened (oh, they were juicy!)
7. Last minute toss with some chopped parsley.
8. Plated.... and....
they were BITTER! I have never, ever, never had bitter clams before
What did I do wrong?

@dragnlaw having only made Spaghetti Vongole with canned clams, dunno!

kalua pig and cabbage.jpg
(file photo)
Tonight's culinary delight will be that ever present steamed White Rice, served with my homemade Kalua Pork, sautéed with some Sweet White Onions and Green Cabbage ... one of favorite dishes.
kalua-pig-packages.jpg
I just made another batch of oven roasted Kalua Pig, yum!
I measure out 1 cup portions, vacuum seal them and stash all of the above in the deep freezer.

greek lentil spinach lemon soup, brownies, apple slices with date paste.

We had fish and chips with homemade coleslaw. The fish was store bought, frozen. breaded haddock. The chips were frozen shoe string potatoes. The coleslaw was a joint effort. DH peeled and shredded the carrots for me. This time I tried salting and draining the cabbage. Well, that was a total fail. It hardly dripped out any liquid in an hour. I used my hand to squeeze out as much liquid as I could. I think that liquid must have flavour in it, because the cabbage seemed to have less flavour. And then, it produced more liquid than I have ever seen in my coleslaw, while it was dressed and waiting to be eaten. It was still pretty good, but not a "Linda coleslaw".

Fish and chips with homemade coleslaw 2.jpg Fish and chips with homemade coleslaw.jpg

Pan-fried burger and arugula and feta cheese salad dressed simply with oil, vinegar, and my house blend seasoning.

burger_salad_100822_IMG_0134.jpg

Actually everything is NOT alright. With great anticipation and with chefy inspiration I prepared Linguine Vongole...
1. all I could find in the cupboard was Penne Rigate - ok, we'll work with that.
2. I dutifully 'purged the clams (only had 8, for just me, big little fella's)
3. Using one pan, boiled the penne for 8 minutes for al'dente.
4. Drained, saving liquid.
5. Into the pan went butter, O oil, mushrooms (my indulgence), shallot, last minute minced garlic, and some Pinto Grigio.
6. Tossed in the clams. Removed them one by one as they opened (oh, they were juicy!)
7. Last minute toss with some chopped parsley.
8. Plated.... and....
they were BITTER! I have never, ever, never had bitter clams before
What did I do wrong?
I'm sorry to read this. I have no idea. I have never cooked fresh shellfish other than lobster. I have seen other people cook crayfish, but that's all my experience with cooking it.

Getting close to the last fresh tomatoes from the garden for the season, so had some Linguini with garlic, tomatoes and basil. To me, this dish screams summer, so its my way of saying good by to summer for the year ( not worth making with store bought winter tomatoes). also, although not pictured, make some garlic toast on the side, to fish up the bits of tomatoes, to make a make due bruschetta.

Attachments

• Tomato Basil.png
    Tomato Basil.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Back
Top Bottom