Vinschgauer Paarl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HankTank

Assistant Cook
This Vinschgauer Paarl-bread we only discovered two years ago in Dusseldorff- Germany.
It is about 60 % Rye, 40 % all-purpose flour.
With Caraway, fennel , anis and brotklee
( brotklee grows in the Alps , not available in our area )

It is one of the tastiest breads we ever had. Origin is a monastery in South Tyrol, Austria.
My digestive system is not perfect, but these spices help a lot !

There are several recipes to find, either yeast or sourdough.
Sourdough must be the original.
I use a 12 hr poolish and a cold rise for 24 hrs with yeast.

The bread is a bit tough, I like to toast it a bit. But with good sausage, matured cheese, paté or just real butter it is delicious .

It fills very good too.
I bake this every 3th week for variation with my regular semi-sourdough bread .

20171021_Alm_III-IV_29.jpg

different measuring? are you referring to weights and measures? Don't think it matters much which you use - a lot of us are getting quite used to both. Plus a lot of bakers are using weight much more than measure.

Sounds like a bread I would like, with the higher % of rye flour - something I often do, adding some gluten to make up for it. And I remember seeing brotklee in something (a.k.a. blue fenugreek) one time but didn't order any, as was quite expensive, for such a small amount - I think it was in ebay where I saw it.

I think you should just write the measurements that you use. If any of them are ambiguous, like tablespoons, tell us which kind. Metric tablespoons are 15 ml. US tablespoons are 14.78676 ml. Not much difference, unless there are a lot of tablespoons and then a different unit of measure would be better.

If you weigh flour, rather than measuring it by volume, please, please tell us the weight, not some conversion to volume. Volume is not nearly as good a way to measure flour as weighing it is.

This week's Vinschgauer.( Every 3th week)

In fact, I hate working with rye with ratio's like this. 🙂
It asks a lot of water. Sometimes almost direct alright , sometimes struggling to get the dough right after adding the poolish.
But the result is always worth it.

By now, I learned to use the formulas, to calculate the amounts of each ingredient needed, also for the hydration .
Based on previous results I put the guidelines into the recipe going to be used at that moment. No fixed recipes .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230601_132139_Docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20230601_132139_Docs.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom