Vegan Restaurant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mad Cook

Master Chef
Read about this in a magazine last week.

There is a new-ish veggan (yes, veggan - stay with me) restaurant in London (UK) called "Veggan - Vegan But With Eggs".

Durr, even a carnivore like me knows that this is crazy!

Read about this in a magazine last week.

There is a new-ish veggan (yes, veggan - stay with me) restaurant in London (UK) called "Veggan - Vegan But With Eggs".

Durr, even a carnivore like me knows that this is crazy!

In other words, vegan but with my favorite animal ingredient ;) :LOL:

LOL Clever idea but yeah that's not Vegan. However, I do give them props for creating a restaurant that is at least raising some awareness. Who knows, this place might serve a s a bridge for the hardcore meat eater that is trying to ease into a vegan diet.

So, it's an ovo-vegetarian restaurant. Veggan is a lot catchier than ovo-vegetarian, gotta give them that!

Well I wouldn't call it vegan because true vegans don't eat animal products at all; thus, the use of vegetarian.

That's my point. Because I assume that the only animal product they will eat is eggs, seems like the correct term would be ovo-VEGAN

An Ovo-VEGETARIAN would presumably eat dairy products, too.

Still the theoretical underpinnings of being a vegan in the first place would be totally compromised by eating eggs....

Last edited:
That's my point. Because I assume that the only animal product they will eat is eggs, seems like the correct term would be ovo-VEGAN

An Ovo-VEGETARIAN would presumably eat dairy products, too.

Still the theoretical underpinnings of being a vegan in the first place would be totally compromised by eating eggs....

No, that would be a lacto-ovo-vegetarian.

The purists are going to get their shorts in a bunch, but for normal people, like me, who think it may not be a bad idea to reduce their consumption of meat might find it appealing.

I just don't see why it has to be an all-or-nothing deal. I like both meat and vegetables.

CD

I just don't see why it has to be an all-or-nothing deal. I like both meat and vegetables.

CD

Ive been a vegetarian for about 30 years and have come across an infinite amount of vegetarians / vegans.
The Vegans have a pretty strict description of what they can't eat. Although some surprises would be Honey and some cane sugar.

Vegetarianism, is where things get a little tricky. People kinda pick and choose what they can ( and can't eat). The more common things Ive heard, over the years. of people who claim to be vegetarians are:
1) Vegetarians who eat fish
2) Vegetarians who eat eggs
3) Vegetarians who eat cheese
4) Vegetarians ( who consider themselves vegetarians) because they don't eat red meat.

People like to pick and choose what they can and can't do under their own set of guidelines.

I couldn't care less what anyone else eats or not, as long as I know my own restrictions

I think some people like to sometimes label themselves as ' vegetarian' just cause its become more popular, and sometimes considered the 'in thing', so they just want to fit in with the crowd.

What I find thats funny, is sometimes when I tell someone Im vegetarian ( only when asked or to avoid being served something I can't eat), the person Im talking to will almost always go into a rant of how they don't each much meat, or cutting back, or are trying to be vegetarian....almost as if they have to come up with an excuse. Its bizarre.

Anyway, about the vegan restaurant mentioned that serves eggs, I think its clever, but they need to make sure it's made very very clear to the purist vegans, cause they can have a real temper sometimes when someone messes with their diet, or tries to pull one over on them.

This all kinda reminds me of the kosher thing. Everyones interpretation of what kosher is , is different. Sure, there are strict guidelines somewhere, but most make excuses as why they can eat certain foods and not others. My parents were guilty of this. For them , I think it was more carrying on tradition.

I would hate to belong to any group of people whose dictum is 'Thou shalt not...', HOWEVER, where people find themselves truly happy with what they eat and why is fine by me, so long as I don't get a lecture on it, because what I eat is MY choice, and I respect totally that the same preferences apply to everyone else. Enough said, or have I missed the point somewhere?

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast

Being an omnivore, I'll eat just about anything except small children, dogs, horses, and Brussels sprouts.

I agree, di, if it pleases them, have at it.

Last edited:
Since Mr&Mrs Dear Friends as well as Mr&Mrs (former) Landlord are Vegan/Vegetarian/Pescetarian/Pollotarian/Flexitarian, WHATEVER! I get lectured on what I'm eating/serving, can you believe that?!

DH and I are equal opportunity eaters. If it's on our plate and it looks/smells good and we're not allergic, we eat it, period.

If those four want to restrict their diets for whatever reason they want, that's their prerogative, but I don't think that anyone should tell another how or what they should consume.

In closing may I add that DH and I do not take any sort of dietary supplements, as the four above mentioned individuals take a fistful of pills :wacko:

Eat Drink and Be Merry

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom