Vegan or vegetarian sausage links, homemade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flour

Cook
I want to make some and can probably come up with a recipe, and I think I saw vegetarian casings on Amazon, but I cannot seem to find the hand stuffer.

- What are they called, to make my search easier?
(Manual with finger, not electrical- unless it is easier to just use a funnel that is the right size?)

- If you do have suggestions on the filling recipe that doesn't include seitan, I would love to hear.

Thank you in advance!

I did a search on Amazon for "manual sausage stuffer" and got over 400 results. I also did a search for "vegetarian sausage casing." One of the results was for actual vegetarian casings. They're sold through Amazon and fulfilled by The Sausage Maker - http://www.sausagemaker.com/

I have a book called "Home Sausage Making" that includes a vegetarian chapter. It says any legumes (beans, peas, lentils, etc.) and many vegetables can be used for sausage stuffing. Just cook them, grind them up and season however you want. You will also need something to bind and moisten (eggs, butter, oil, wine, etc.) and a thickener like breadcrumbs, rolled oats, wheat germ, etc.

It's copyrighted in 2003 so truly vegetarian casings weren't available then. However, it suggests using vegetables or vegetable parts for shaping vegetarian sausages, like cabbage or Swiss chard leaves, the outer portion of leeks, corn husks (like tamales) or even flat breads. Or you can form them into patties or balls and not stuff them.

There are recipes for Wild Mushroom Sausage with Walnuts, Italian Bulgur and Bean Sausage Rolls, Portobello Sausage, Apple Tofu Sausage and more. Hint: if you do a search for those titles, you might find that someone has (illegally) posted them online. Or maybe as part of a cookbook review, you never know ;)

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
You can stuff the sausages by hand. There are a bunch of videos on youtube you can watch. And here is a webpage that has stuffing the sausages by hand using a funnel. How To Make Italian Sausage Without A Machine. Really! - Ciao Italia

Vegetarian, pretty much all grain, vegetables, fruit, dairy, and oils, are your choices, spice them up just like sausage. If you are looking for a 'chewing texture', you could try cooked up whole grain wheat, they are chewy and lack any strong flavor. I could see using them in a sausage.

Good luck and show us your pictures when you have figured it out.

Thank you gg for the recipe info, fantastic. I do get sick of beans, though I can just season some tvp and mushrooms and be right as rain. ( I was more curious of people here who had actually tried their own and had tips on best recipes)
And thank you blissful, yes, I was thinking the funnel was my best option since when I search on amazon, the only place I order online from, only has the meat grinder type of dealies, but when watching rick bayless, he had a funnel looking finger stuffer.
Once we move into the house in a couple weeks, I will venture on to this! And I will make sure to get pictures!

Last edited:
Thank you gg for the recipe info, fantastic. I do get sick of beans, though I can just season some tvp and mushrooms and be right as rain. ( I was more curious of people here who had actually tried their own and had tips on best recipes)

Tell you what then. You let us know specifically when you want only personal experience, so we'll know. Otherwise, we get all confused and try to help anyway ;)

Last edited:
I apologize. I am not used to discussion lists like this. I will remember that my idea of suggestion is more limited.

Uncle's K Sausages

500 gram firm tofu
2 tsp paprika powder
0,5 tsp thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
0,5 tsp caraway seeds
1-1½ tsp salt
2 tsp tamari soy
0,25 tsp liquid smoke, more if you want too
black pepper after taste
100 ml rolled oat / oatmeal mixed to a powder.
2 tbsp potato starch / potato flour
2 tbsp rice flour

Mix all of this to a smooth paste in a food blender or mixer. Stuff in vegan casings and then simmer the sausage for 20 minute in slightly salted water. Now leave them over night in the fridge to mature the flavour, they can now be frozen. When you want to eat them fry in a bit of oil or vegan butter.

You can change the tamari for mushroom soy or other soy sauces but then use less. You can skip the caraway and use cumin, some people find caraway tasting soapy.

And yes I have made this one and according to uncle K it tasted good.

I did a search on Amazon for "manual sausage stuffer" and got over 400 results. I also did a search for "vegetarian sausage casing." One of the results was for actual vegetarian casings. They're sold through Amazon and fulfilled by The Sausage Maker - DIY Kitchen Supplies & Resources | The Sausage Maker, Inc.

I have a book called "Home Sausage Making" that includes a vegetarian chapter. It says any legumes (beans, peas, lentils, etc.) and many vegetables can be used for sausage stuffing. Just cook them, grind them up and season however you want. You will also need something to bind and moisten (eggs, butter, oil, wine, etc.) and a thickener like breadcrumbs, rolled oats, wheat germ, etc.

It's copyrighted in 2003 so truly vegetarian casings weren't available then. However, it suggests using vegetables or vegetable parts for shaping vegetarian sausages, like cabbage or Swiss chard leaves, the outer portion of leeks, corn husks (like tamales) or even flat breads. Or you can form them into patties or balls and not stuff them.

There are recipes for Wild Mushroom Sausage with Walnuts, Italian Bulgur and Bean Sausage Rolls, Portobello Sausage, Apple Tofu Sausage and more. Hint: if you do a search for those titles, you might find that someone has (illegally) posted them online. Or maybe as part of a cookbook review, you never know ;)

Hope this helps.

Sounds like a trip to her local library would be in her best interest. And she can start with the book you just named and recommended.

Uncle's K Sausages

500 gram firm tofu
2 tsp paprika powder
0,5 tsp thyme
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
0,5 tsp caraway seeds
1-1½ tsp salt
2 tsp tamari soy
0,25 tsp liquid smoke, more if you want too
black pepper after taste
100 ml rolled oat / oatmeal mixed to a powder.
2 tbsp potato starch / potato flour
2 tbsp rice flour

Mix all of this to a smooth paste in a food blender or mixer. Stuff in vegan casings and then simmer the sausage for 20 minute in slightly salted water. Now leave them over night in the fridge to mature the flavour, they can now be frozen. When you want to eat them fry in a bit of oil or vegan butter.

You can change the tamari for mushroom soy or other soy sauces but then use less. You can skip the caraway and use cumin, some people find caraway tasting soapy.

And yes I have made this one and according to uncle K it tasted good.

I'll try this as an alternative for the Superbowl party

I want to make some and can probably come up with a recipe, and I think I saw vegetarian casings on Amazon, but I cannot seem to find the hand stuffer.

- What are they called, to make my search easier?
(Manual with finger, not electrical- unless it is easier to just use a funnel that is the right size?)

- If you do have suggestions on the filling recipe that doesn't include seitan, I would love to hear.

Thank you in advance!
Glamorgan sausages are very good and don't require casings. There are lots of recipes on line. They are based on potato and cheese but with a wide variety of other ingredients. They usually require eggs as a binder but I expect you know about egg substitutes/replacements.

Back
Top Bottom