Using sous vide to decrystallize honey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseydog

Master Chef
I like to buy fresh, local honey. They say it is good for allergies, but to me, it just tastes good.

But, it will crystalize in the pantry.

I use my sous vide setup decrystallize the honey.

I just set the sous vide to 110F, and let the bottle of honey soak for an hour or so, and it comes back to its normal, liquid state.

Another use for sous vide.

CD

Good idea, CD. I've stuck honey in my oven, with the pilot light (not many have this now! lol), with the same result - it's about 120º. I also melt chocolate and/or butter in there. Don't have to worry about overheating it, but I have to plan in advance.

We just put the jar in a small pot of water and warm it for a while. Works great, although I like the crunchy texture of crystallized honey on some things.

Good idea, CD. I've stuck honey in my oven, with the pilot light (not many have this now! lol), with the same result - it's about 120º. I also melt chocolate and/or butter in there. Don't have to worry about overheating it, but I have to plan in advance.

Thanks pepperhead. There are certainly other ways to decrystallize honey. I just posted one more option, for those of us who have sous vide circulators.

BTW pepperhead, if you don't have a sous vide setup, you should get one. You seem like someone who likes to play with diverse cooking techniques. I think you would enjoy playing with sous vide cooking.

CD

We just put the jar in a small pot of water and warm it for a while. Works great, although I like the crunchy texture of crystallized honey on some things.

I like crystallized honey on grapefruit halves and cornbread.

I like to buy fresh, local honey. They say it is good for allergies, but to me, it just tastes good.

But, it will crystalize in the pantry.

I use my sous vide setup decrystallize the honey.

I just set the sous vide to 110F, and let the bottle of honey soak for an hour or so, and it comes back to its normal, liquid state.

Another use for sous vide.

CD
I love the idea. Unfortunately, I don't have any sous vide gear, and it isn't cheap. I did make chicken stock in my slow cooker the day before yesterday from a chicken carcass. I took two jars of cristalized honer and placed them on the lid. After a few hours, both jars were perfectly de-crystalized.

Thanks for the tip anyway I can see how the sous vide method would work great.

Seeeeya; Chief Lngwind of the North

I don't see how it's an advantage to remove honey from the jar, put it in a bag, put it in water and wait an hour then put it back in the jar, losing some to the bag in the process. Quicker and easier to just warm it in a pan of water..

GG, I think that casey just puts the jar of honey in the water - no bag and no transfer of honey. ;)

I buy honey in 24 ounce plastic bottles, move half at a time to a squat glass jar, and nuke it for a few seconds if it's too hard to pour. Just enough to pour off the Tbsp or two I need.

Yes, I put the bottle directly in to the water bath. It is tries to float, I just put something on top of the bottle to weigh it down.

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom