Under-processed my tomatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blastborn

Assistant Cook
I hotpacked tomatoes and processed them in quart jars for 40 minutes instead of the proscribed 45. Jars were cleaned and sanitized with plenty of citric though. Think I’m still ok?

Did you come here so we would give you permission to not follow the guidelines for safe canning? You don't even mention the canning method, like pressure canning or water bath canning.

Hi there Blastborn, Welcome to DC!

Why don't you tell us how you processed your tomatoes. It would help if we knew exactly what you did. And how long ago?
It is always still possible to re-process them if you have any doubts. It might mean opening and clean the edges plus new lids for the screw tops.

How are you going to store them and for how long?
I assume out of the fridge, but in the fridge I'm sure they would be fine

Did you come here so we would give you permission to not follow the guidelines for safe canning? You don't even mention the canning method, like pressure canning or water bath canning.
Hot packed in own juice. Water bath. Close to a tsp of citric per jar. Processed at rolling boil for 40 min

Hi there Blastborn, Welcome to DC!

Why don't you tell us how you processed your tomatoes. It would help if we knew exactly what you did. And how long ago?
It is always still possible to re-process them if you have any doubts. It might mean opening and clean the edges plus new lids for the screw tops.
Hot packed in own juice. Water bath. Close to a tsp of citric per jar. Processed at rolling boil for 40 min

Did they 'ping' quickly during the cooling period?
Was there much or any, leakage out of the jars?
Those are 2 more questions I would think about.
I don't can tomatoes anymore - it has been a very long time. Only you can answer the questions.
I personally - would probably go ahead and put them on the shelf - but I've been know to take risks - I'm not advising you to do it.
If I did, I would be checking them often for swelling lids.
And be sure to take off the screw caps, if the lids hold when you pick them up - you still have a good seal.

I am more on the cautious side. I would just reprocess them.

Now I'm curious. Why did you only process them for 40 minutes, instead of the 45 that is tested as being safe?

I am more on the cautious side. I would just reprocess them.

Now I'm curious. Why did you only process them for 40 minutes, instead of the 45 that is tested as being safe?
Accident. I misread ball’s instructions

Did they 'ping' quickly during the cooling period?
Was there much or any, leakage out of the jars?
Those are 2 more questions I would think about.
I don't can tomatoes anymore - it has been a very long time. Only you can answer the questions.
I personally - would probably go ahead and put them on the shelf - but I've been know to take risks - I'm not advising you to do it.
If I did, I would be checking them often for swelling lids.
And be sure to take off the screw caps, if the lids hold when you pick them up - you still have a good seal.
They all sealed almost immediately. 1/2” headspace. You can lift the quart by the lid without breaking the seal. There has to be a little margin for error worked into these instructions right? I’m at 800 feet elevation fyi

Back
Top Bottom