Type II Diabetes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
type two here, insulin dependent. i shop on line and can access the nutrition facts of each food, well most , anyway. watching the carbs is just instinct now after ten years. i know what is high and try to limit them a day at a time. i use lots of no sugar products, puddings, etc. if i want something that is over the top , i eat it. and balance out the rest of the day. on my grocery site, the salt content is listed as well, have to watch that too. beware of to many artificial sweet ed things. nasty things happen, and you will spend a good deal of time in the bathroom. many times i will eat two ok veggies in a meal and have no starchy things at all.

research on line. many helpful sites out there. if i really blow it, and i do, i have fasting acting insulin as well.

test test test. that will give you an idea what not to eat too much of. you will realize after you do this for awhile it will become second nature.

Thank you for that advice! Super. :) I do quite a lot of research online and regularly check on my carb count. There is an online forum I belong to that has really been supportive. On my garage's Mac I have an online carb counter, too. When at work i find this so useful. Can't be too careful even though in diabetic "years" I'm still only a baby.

I avoid many artificial sweetners, too though I simply love brown rice, by the way. There’s far lower cholesterol in brown rice, nice fibre, also packed out with vitamins B3, B1 and trace elements such as magnesium. I have a 5lb bag of the stuff which I found at an Asian grocery store on my usual shopping session for fresh chillies and more Indian spices. I have a love for fresh green chillies that liven up my mouth. Very much into pickling them..

The only times I had low sugar crashes was when I was on the insulin.Scary stuff there!

I don't test daily anymore but I get bloodwork every couple of months.

fasting went from 320 to 130ish
A1C went from 13+ to 5.6 at best but last was 6.something.All my other tests improved dramatically too and remain good.

My doctor said she has never seen anybody do it as fast as I did.I started with a bike and some dumbells and a lot of walking.I just did my first powerlifting meet yesterday and got first place for weight class and age.
I was the only guy in my weight class so the win wasn't what I'd call competition, but I got the first one out of the way.

Congrats on the bike club and gym use.You are no doubt more physically fit than I am.I think the weights were the esey out for me.I still do as much walking as I can but the hardcore cardio ain't for me.

As far as the doctor goes I also made the decision to take my health into my own hands and use my doctor as my assistant if you know what I mean.Doctors get about 5 min to review your file before they see you.They know less than you about the way are feeeling.Take charge!

lol I have to be charge with "Nipper", my lovely son who can effortlessly plough through two plates of chow!

my bike club is great though I’m the most junior member among much older and wiser, guys. They love my Harley, a handsome custom chrome and black coach worked Softail which I customised on my garage’s Mac. After a day’s biking, all that energy burnt off just from the pure joy of getting this monster flying on tarmac keeps me physically fit in itself!

One of them is diabetic, too. Pushes iron and by the look of him, he’d walk though a brick wall. A gentle gentleman though, he’s given lots of advice, especially on my slowing the carb intake to a regular daily, limited amount. Must say how I love crunchy toast. But with only a smidgen of butter. To think.. When I was 16 I used to put it on so thick it would leave teeth marks!

Unlike my country where we have to pay so dearly for meds and health advice, I’m now on the NHS. Seriously, I changed doctors because the last one sounded like a schoolmaster who lectured me so severely that I wondered if he was being racist. The new doctor is understanding, gives great advice and has a sense of humour. I am fit, and this is probably because I’ve always eaten healthily. Fresh fruit and veg in my country has always been plentiful. I love growing green beans: dwarf, runners are piled on my plate. Much as I can, I try and stay away from fats, although a slab of steak once a week or so raises the spirit. Instead of potato I’ll go for a slice of wholemeal bread although eating a handful of oven ready chips doesn’t hurt the organism.

It’s been great chatting on this thread. Thank you so much everyone. :)

Poppi Georgina

I think one big problem for most of us who have weight problems is the concept of eating even when we have no desire to eat. I have a young friend who was type 1, and I very well remember her parents having to make her eat an apple when she did not want it, wasn't hungry, etc. She was (is) slim and athletic, and insulin dependent. But she'd sit down and eat that apple.

I think one of the things that was hardest for my husband was making himself eat that piece of fruit every few hours. Before he was diagnosed, he almost never ate fruit.

But this is a cautionary tale. I repeat, my husband started working on diet and exercise when told he was diabetic about 4 years ago (he's 63), and has controlled it by diet and exercise alone. We don't kid ourselves, it may not be forever. But after a year or so of testing, he got it so right that he doesn't have to test.

My mantra is that every body is different. In this case, though, he was able to put off medication for years simply by adjusting when he eats and the amounts. Because we already do eat fairly balanced meals, he didn't much have to change what he eats.

Out of curiousity, how many partners of diabetics have temper issues with their partners? Once he started working on his blood sugar, my husband's temper really evened out. A cousin married to a diabetic (type 1 I think) called it the "diabetes meanies".

Out of curiousity, how many partners of diabetics have temper issues with their partners? Once he started working on his blood sugar, my husband's temper really evened out. A cousin married to a diabetic (type 1 I think) called it the "diabetes meanies".

Shrek gets whiney...once, after I fed him, I told him I thought I would have to lend him my Tiara. :LOL: And I know I have issues with mood, but for different reasons. But, yes...watching mood swings in a diabetic is a good way to know what's going on with them. He's stayed off insulin so far, taking oral meds. I've been borderline for years, but keep watch on my carb intake.

I am type 1 but I hope you won't mind if I put my beak in here. Over the years I have learned that listening to my health team and using portion control, carb counting and exercising is the only way to go. I have been through phases of "denial" where I would just do whatever I feel like regardless of consequences and have always been surprised at how quickly the effects can be felt. Now I am ruthless with my diabetes. I know in the long run, when bits of me don't drop off, I will be thankful for coming to my senses and treating the disease and my body with respect. Good luck to you all.

leanne, good sound advice. i am type two. i pretty much do what you posted. we all cheat once in awhile. just don't do it everyday. if you need a goodie, on occasion, make that your lunch. works for me.

My husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about four years ago then, about a year ago, my doctor told me I am, too. Now, THAT was a shock!
I was also about 90# overweight. I knew that.
Anyway, whilst trying to find a diet that would actually let me lose weight and keep it off, I found one that seems to me to be a more or less DIY Nutrisystem. It, too, is based on the glycemic index.
I've lost over 50# in the past 7 months and am still at it. You really should talk with your doctor first, by the way. Mine told me that if I get down to my ideal weight (and I will,) the type 2 diabetes would disappear. I never heard that one before, but since it gives me even more incentive to stay "good," I choose to believe him.

Last edited:
My husband was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about four years ago then, about a year ago, my doctor told me I am, too. Now, THAT was a shock!
I was also about 90# overweight. I knew that.
Anyway, whilst trying to find a diet that would actually let me lose weight and keep it off, I found one that seems to me to be a more or less DIY Nutrisystem. It, too, is based on the glycemic index.
I've lost over 50# in the past 7 months and am still at it. You really should talk with your doctor first, by the way. Mine told me that if I get down to my ideal weight (and I will,) the type 2 diabetes would disappear. I never heard that one before, but since it gives me even more incentive to stay "good," I choose to believe him.

Your doctor is partially right. But diabetes is always there ready to raise its ugly head if you don't watch your diet and get in some exercise each day. Once you are diagnosed with diabetes, you are a diabetic for the rest of your life. The diabetes doesn't go away, only the symptoms. :angel:

Another type two diabetic here. I was diagnosed in August 2008 and put on Metformin right away. My fight against the disease went up and down until December 2014 when my A1C was 7.2 and the doctor wanted to put me on a second medication. I don't remember what it was called but when I checked it out liver problems were among the common side effects listed. I knew then it was time to get serious and do something about it.

I joined MyFitnessPal and started counting calories. I also started walking daily. That eventually led to running. I also joined a gym and try to lift weights two or three times a week. In April I noticed my fasting sugar was getting lower, even dropping into the 60's. I'd been taking Metformin morning and evenings. So I cut the evening dose out. I kept testing daily. My fasting sugar didn't rise so I stopped taking Metformin all together. Still testing daily. My fasting sugar was still good.

I went back to the doctor in June and my A1C was 5.8. I told the doctor I hadn't been taking Metformin and he told me I didn't need it any more. So in the space of six months I'd gone from potentially being on two diabetes medications to being on none at all. In fact in November 2015 my A1C was 5.5 so it's only getting better. It's all down to portion control and exercise. I eat pretty much what I want but in sensible portions. And if I know I'm going to have something high carb or sugary I make sure I work out that day. I still test more or less every morning and my sugar is averaging in the 70's and 80's.

Earlier this week the new Doc told me I could drop the prefix from pre diabetic. On top of that, we added a touch of neuropathy and gout to the miseries list.

But thanks in part to all the guidance I've picked up from this forum over the years I think I'm pretty well equipped to reverse things. I pretty much eat the right things already and can cook most anything. Need to cut out or cut back on the wrong things and get more disciplined about meal planning and portion control. That and cut out binges.

Going back to what was working a couple years ago, Was tracking food intake on MyFitnessPlan and walking several miles a day. Lost 35 lbs. and improved fitness a lot. That regime fell apart when a car ran over me on the sidewalk. Fortunately, all I got was a broken leg but never got back to exercise. Gained the weight back, plus some more.

So I'm moving all the boxes that were piled atop the treadmill and rethinking shopping lists. Probably cut out cheese, ice cream, and whiskey for a while.

Last edited:
Earlier this week the new Doc told me I could drop the prefix from pre diabetic. On top of that, we added a touch of neuropathy and gout to the miseries list.

But thanks in part to all the guidance I've picked up from this forum over the years I think I'm pretty well equipped to reverse things. I pretty much eat the right things already and can cook most anything. Need to cut out or cut back on the wrong things and get more disciplined about meal planning and portion control. That and cut out binges.

Going back to what was working a couple years ago, Was tracking food intake on MyFitnessPlan and walking several miles a day. Lost 35 lbs. and improved fitness a lot. That regime fell apart when a car ran over me on the sidewalk. Fortunately, all I got was a broken leg but never got back to exercise. Gained the weight back, plus some more.

So I'm moving all the boxes that were piled atop the treadmill and rethinking shopping lists. Probably cut out cheese, ice cream, and whiskey for a while.

Wow an old thread I started in 2006...11 years ago.

skilletlicker you can do it!! Avoid junk carbs, sugar, fried foods, as much as possible. Exercise and weight loss (if needed) are key. I have one 'cheat' day per week! (and today is the day!:clap:) In May of this year my A1C was 5.1...which is non diabetic. Think of it as a change of life style...not a diet. My philosophy is if you go ON a diet you will get OFF a diet.

Luck!

Thanks for the encouraging word Uncle Bob. 5.1 is way below the non-diabetic threshold. Hat's off to you.

If anybody here is also on MyFitnessPlan and wants to friend up there, my username is OldHobo. Skilletlicker was taken or, more likely, I screwed up the registration somehow. Just tell me what your DC username is.

Hang in there. When I got the word that I was full blown diabetic, I panicked. My biggest problem was with coffee. I tried every sweetener on the market. They all left a metallic taste in my mouth. So I made a promise to myself. Now I am not one to break a promise. Not even one to myself.

"If I could have sugar in my coffee, I would give up all sugar treats." And I have kept that promise. Now my favorite candy bar has always been Mounds Bar. Two years ago after not having one for more than ten years, I decided to treat myself. My A1c was reading really low for a long time. If fact my doctor took me off my diabetes medication completely. So I bought me a Mounds Bar. I took one bite, and promptly spit it out and tossed the other half to the birds. It was waaaaay to sweet for me. I started to gag at just the taste of it.

Today, I have even cut way back on my sugar in my coffee or tea. The diet of a diabetic becomes second nature to you. I love a baked sweet potato. Today, I only have a half of a small one. Pirate gets the other half. Any veggie that is high in natural sugar, a half cup does it for both of us. He just wants to lose weight. I want to keep my sugar intake down.

You can do it. And if the going gets too rough, you know where we all are. Right here with tons of support for you.

And BTW, we love to hear about successes also.

I was diagnosed Type II 7 years ago.. I lost 35lbs, cut back on certain foods and have been under control since.. I generally eat what I want but, will go healthy foods off and on.. My A1C has been 5.5, 5.6 for years now, last tested in June..

Ross

For those who would like to see what their A1c is between trips for blood work, one of the kind ladies here posted the following so that you can test it yourself. I wish I could remember who it was.

https://www.accu-chek.com/us/glucose-monitoring/a1c-calculator.html

I check mine just before I go to Winthrop for my monthly vitals. I record my sugar readings on an Excel sheet with the following information.

Date Time Reading Notes Date Printed A1c Readings

The notes column is usually for when my reading is high. What I ate just prior to taking my reading. And the Date printed shows me the last time and what page my readings ended on. For this year I am on page nine.

I also had to reduce my carb intake to reduce my A1c.
Being a vegetarian, made it a little more tricky, but i managed .

-Cut out Sugary drinks 99%
-Cut pasta from multiple times a week to 1 time ( or less)
-Cut sandwiches from multiple times a week to 1 time ( or less)
-A lot of label reading

In a 3 month time, A1c was was within normal limits, triglycerides and Cholesterol dropped significantly. Lost 13 pounds ( all from diet)

Now with the warm weather, Ive increased my exercise / activity, which allows me to treat myself a little more.

heading back for a check up in October to see where I stand, and if I have to be more strict with my diet or not. But all in all, was able to manage it, just by being smart and mindful of what I was doing ( or not doing).

I also had to reduce my carb intake to reduce my A1c.
Being a vegetarian, made it a little more tricky, but i managed .

-Cut out Sugary drinks 99%
-Cut pasta from multiple times a week to 1 time ( or less)
-Cut sandwiches from multiple times a week to 1 time ( or less)
-A lot of label reading

In a 3 month time, A1c was was within normal limits, triglycerides and Cholesterol dropped significantly. Lost 13 pounds ( all from diet)

Now with the warm weather, Ive increased my exercise / activity, which allows me to treat myself a little more.

heading back for a check up in October to see where I stand, and if I have to be more strict with my diet or not. But all in all, was able to manage it, just by being smart and mindful of what I was doing ( or not doing).

Excellent... Common sense can work wonders...

Ross

Just one question Larry. Do you really miss any of those foods you've cut back on or deleted from your diet.

The sugary drinks, not at all. Occasionally Ill treat myself , but I don't crave it.
Bread and Pasta, absolutely, but I only %100 restricted myself the first 3 months, a) to get my levels down as quickly as possible, b) I wanted to make 100% sure that it was my diet and not something physiologically going on with my body, and I figured the only true way to test that was eliminating those Items 100%. And due to the results, it was definitely diet based. Which, makes sense since those things were a staple of my diet, and being a vegetarian, not too many other ' good ' things to fall back on. It was a challenging 3 months, and forced me to be extra creative in the kitchen. There were a few culinary successes during that time, but definitely A LOT more failures. Now weaning my way back into a normal diet, while closely monitoring the carbs, and increasing my physical activity, I should be ok. This is much more realistic than those 3 months of practical starvation. And when I go to the doctor in a few months, Ill get to see if what Im doing is controlling the situation, or if i have to pull back a little more.

And back to your question about missing those things. Yes I do, primarily because it truly limited my options , but When I finally started eating these things again, I didn't miss it as much as I thought I was going to. Once a week pasta, and once a week sandwich is fine. I don't feel deprived at all.

And of the two, I think a nice warm freshly baked bread or roll right out of the oven was more missed than the pasta. Bread is the best, especially freshly baked.

Hang in there. When I got the word that I was full blown diabetic, I panicked. My biggest problem was with coffee. I tried every sweetener on the market. They all left a metallic taste in my mouth. So I made a promise to myself. Now I am not one to break a promise. Not even one to myself.
You can replace the sugar in your coffee with agave nectar and it will not effect your blood sugar level. I have two cups of coffee with agave nectar when I get up in the morning before I take my reading and it does not spike my sugar levels.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom