Turkey Time and Temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now I have a theory this chore would not prudently handled entirely with a time vs temp formula. Might get a person in the ball park but the 5 buck Wally World gauge work mighty good to stick it in the thigh as sorta the coup de graw so to speak. I would go to 175. If it aint quite there dunk it for a bit longer etc. I would think the time/temp equation would have a lot of variables such as but not limited to the temp of the raw bird..moisture content barometric pressure..blood alchyhol level or the cook etc.

bigwheel

Just a couple of thoughts.

Brining is good when frying.
Inject a mix of 50%butter 50%your choice of beer,wine,stock, ect. and your best spice mix.
Let the bird sit at room temp for to 30 min before cooking.
The bigger the bird the longer it will take per pound. So for turkeys 12 lbs and under it is about 2.5 min/lb, over 12 lbs is about 3 min/lb and over 16 lbs is around 3.5 min/lb.
Pull the bird when the breast is at 151, Foil for 30 min, Cut Enjoy.

I would not fry a bird over 15 lbs.
Everyone I ever talked to said "Use peanut oil" In the beginning I did and my turkeys tasted like peanuts. When I started using cheap corn/veg oil mix my turkey tasted like turkey.....

Just my $.02 Good Luck

Thanks for all the input. I'm sure we will get by okay. We only do it once a year. When I get rolling, I'm sure things will come back to me. Thinking about pumping the snot out of it with butter, bacon grease, and hot sauce. What hot sauce is yet to be determined. Only real men take a chance on screwing up a 12 pound bird on Thanksgiving! :LOL:

Pigs

Wonder if a person could get some legal troubles on animul cruelty charges to torture a po innocent turkey like unto that? :shock: Hopefully the perspective alledged perp got the pre paid legal insurance deal.

bigwheel

Mitch,
I understand what you are saying. Higher smoke points and lasting longer at cooking temps with out breaking down and all. OK so it's not so much that it taste like peanuts but is does cause the food to develop a different (nutty) flavor that I an not so fond of.
It is generally accepted that Peanut oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, and canola oil are the frying oils. When I say cheap veg oil I am talking about a blended frying oil from a Big Box store. (Thanks for the reality check. ;) )

Pigs,
I Never used bacon drippings for an injection. If you try it let me know how it works out.
As far as hot sauce goes. That is like asking what brand of rub is best. I use "Franks" as well as a splash of "crab boil" and Lea and Perrins.

Best of luck.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom