Tuesday, 2023 May 9, What's for supper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I served some store bought ravioli with a meat filling. I made a sauce of EVOO, anchovy, garlic, red wine, cream, and pesto. I served that with a large salad of curly lettuce, Boston lettuce, red onion, carrot, peas, and corn kernels. We enjoyed that. I think I'll use white wine next time, even if it's going with red meat. The colour of that sauce was sub-optimal.

Ravioli from frozen with a garlic-anchovy-cream & pesto sauce and a salad.jpgRavioli from frozen with a garlic-anchovy-cream-pesto sauce and a salad.jpg

Last edited:
I made some mushroom barley soup today, with some old creminis I had to use, plus .80 oz of dried boletus. I used a whole cup of barley, which I cooked in the IP for 25 minutes, using 3 c of the soaking and washing water from the boletus (what made this soup so dark). In the wok, I cooked a large chopped up onion in some olive oil, and while that was cooking, I minced together 3 cloves garlic, maybe a tb each of fresh sage, rosemary, and marjoram, then added that to the lightly browned onions, with a tb of tomato paste, and cooked about 2 minutes, then added the finely chopped boletus, cooked another minute, then added the thickly sliced creminis, and a half cup of water. I covered it, and let the creminis steam 5 minutes. Then I uncovered, raised heat, and boiled the water off, then browned the mushrooms about 5 minutes more. Then I opened the IP, and put the cooked barley in the wok, along with about 3 more cups of water, then salted with some soy sauce (undersalted here some, since later batches I will put some grated cheese on), and put in 1/3 c red lentils, to thicken. After simmering 20 minutes, I stirred in about 1/4 c chopped parsley, before serving.
Cremini/boletus barley soup, ready to simmer the last 20 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Mushroom barley soup, with 4 herbs. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last week I bought a little too much fresh produce.

I filled a sheet pan with approx. six cups of zucchini, mushrooms, grape tomatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic. The mixture reduced by about half.

I used a cup of the roasted vegetable mixture and a cup of rice to make a very American version of vegetable fried rice.

Last edited:
We had our first asparagus from the garden with tomato slices. Another plate with ww spaghetti w/tomato mushroom sauce and pepper olive relish, a diced sweet potato with strawberry puree, and black eyed peas with yellow salsa.

20230510_181628.jpg

Last of the Asparagus wrapped in Crepes with a Chicken Breast done up in the T, oven. Chicken before paprika decoration was more in focus. I can see my photographer brother is rolling over in his grave with frustration.
20230510_181513.jpg

Chicken got a little dried as I was trying to brown it under the broiler - toaster ovens are not great at broiling! But luckily I still had some hot Alfredo sauce from the crepes - handy for dipping the chicken. All in all, was a very delicious (ha! got the spelling right the first time!)

View attachment 64536
Last of the Asparagus wrapped in Crepes with a Chicken Breast done up in the T, oven. Chicken before paprika decoration was more in focus. I can see my photographer brother is rolling over in his grave with frustration.
View attachment 64537
Chicken got a little dried as I was trying to brown it under the broiler - toaster ovens are not great at broiling! But luckily I still had some hot Alfredo sauce from the crepes - handy for dipping the chicken. All in all, was a very delicious (ha! got the spelling right the first time!)
The crepe-wrapped asparagus stalks made a nice presentation!

Back
Top Bottom