Tree Repair Progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
I shared my heart-break over losing my huge tree (with a 4 foot diameter trunk). The tree gave the backyard a park-like feel in the center of the city, and it gave us a lot of privacy as well as shade. Lastly, it blocked the view of of shopping center that is behind the brick wall with a parking lot that begs for trouble. To remove the tree, they had a crane, and had to run a Bobcat (mini-bulldozer) through the yard up and up the hill.

2023-02-07 10.37.33.jpg

The tree crew tried hard not to make and leave a mess. However, the Bobcat ripped up the yard and destroyed pretty much anything in its way. I don't have an easy way to get access to the back yard, so even though they had a crane the pieces had to be removed through the yard to the front of the house. Scorched earth came to mind.

2023-02-07 11.31.37.jpg

Since the yard, side yard, and back yard were destroyed, we opted to extend a stone pathway from the back to the side of the yard. We also had the front walk (which was crumbling) replaced and had a flagstone patio installed in front of the shed on the hill. The bare spots in the front were seeded with clover.

2023-05-08 13.52.18.jpg

I was really worried about the flowers on each side of the walk which was replaced. I planted several types of flowers from my mother's garden along the walk way. Iris, daylilies, peonies, and a few others. Our contractor ensured they were all kept safe as they built the mould for the concrete. :heart:

2023-05-10 08.46.32.jpg

The shed had some oak-leaf hydrangea and azaleas around it that were going to be ripped out for the patio in front of the shed, so I asked the contractor to move them to the barren hill and along the bottom hoping they would reseat. (I used pink flags to label where the plants would be placed and then I watered them daily.)

2023-04-07 16.27.50.jpg

We love our boulder stairs, but I am falling more as I get older. Therefore, we decided to install a railing. Again, flags helped show where it will go and where patio light poles will go.

2023-05-05 17.13.18.jpg

A bit thicker than we envisioned but I told the welder to make it really sturdy.

2023-05-12 09.27.13.jpg

I had planned to plant pyracanthra along the brick wall because it is pretty, grows fast, and is related to apples so the berries can be used to make jam. Instead, I am going to use the space to grow more things like the little sunflowers that are suppose to grow between 12 and 16 feet. I will also plant okra, beans, and some acorn squash. I've also planted a crepe myrtle in the space between the fence and Mountain Laurels, which is supposed to grow quickly. My hope is that it will provide our missing privacy. Since we now have sun in the back, we also planted a raspberry and blackberry bush.

2023-05-12 09.32.23.jpg

We also split and planted some regular hydrangea, some grasses and hostas returned. So here it is as of yesterday.

Last edited:
Wow! yard looks so different without the tree. But I'm sure the other plantings will take over and make for some nice scenery when a little more mature. Love the irises. Mine get one flower then nothing. Don't have a green thumb like you! :)

Looks positively beautiful Kathleen. You've made fantastic choices. Things will change now that you've got the sun there.

(but I would/will still always miss the tree, must have been like an old friend)

Wow! yard looks so different without the tree. But I'm sure the other plantings will take over and make for some nice scenery when a little more mature. Love the irises. Mine get one flower then nothing. Don't have a green thumb like you! :)
Green thumb? :LOL: You know it is blind luck. But thank you! I'm sincerely hoping it turns out nicely when everything matures. For this year, I hope the sunflowers really shoot up to camouflage the shopping center. Also, I selected a crepe myrtle that is supposed to grow tall. As far as growing another tree, I've struggled with what kind to plant. Perhaps I will not plant another tree and see if I can simply make a little garden on the hilltop.
Looks positively beautiful Kathleen. You've made fantastic choices. Things will change now that you've got the sun there.

(but I would/will still always miss the tree, must have been like an old friend)
I miss the tree SO much. The trunk can still be seen. The center is so rotted - a reminder that the tree was not well. It sincerely was like an old friend had created a small forest in the city just for me, but disappeared taking the forest with it. I had no idea what to do as my tree could not be replaced, so thank you for the positive words, Dragnlaw. Having a bit more space to grow things is a small consolation. I do hope it turns out pretty!

I was looking at the 5 and 6 foot wide stumps next door in the cemetery. Cut down after one fell on the house, of course. Beautiful trees all, made me cry but were dangerous.

Have no idea what the city plans to do, chew/grind them out? or just leave. Was thinking that they could perhaps grind out enough, add whatever their arborist suggests and plant another tree!
Maybe you could do that? Will never replace the old one, at least not within our foreseeable future. But whoever comes along later?
Maybe you could call him Baby Groot.

Pyracantha looks nice enough but I don't like living with it or having to prune it. Nasty thorns.

Perhaps I will plant it later. Right now, the sunflowers are camouflaging the wall. I also have another spot to potentially place another raised bed. With my current four mini-vegetable beds, I'm naming the place Notta-Acre Farms. :LOL: If the HOA would only allow chickens. 😜

I did get my patio lights up. I'm happy the way it has turned out for now.

20230521_203041.jpg

Kathleen, you made lemonade out of lemons! Your yard looks fantastic, and so "usable" with the shaded table and chairs, pathway, and lights. Congratulations, and may you enjoy that lovely spot for years.
P.S. tell the HOA the chickens are pet parrots. They won't know the difference . . . .

Kathleen, your garden looks beautiful! It must have been so sad to lose your huge old tree, but it was also an opportunity for some new additions. The handrail was also a very wise choice I think.

Change it hard. I lost a large shade tree a few years ago in my backyard as well and after some adjustments (some plants getting too much sun), replacing plantings, etc I came to appreciate the extra light. Your garden looks magical even with the change and I hope you find some new solutions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom