Townsends, 18th Century YouTubes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
I've watched many dozen of these in the past couple/few months. They are all about life, mostly cooking, in the 1700s. I find them invariably interesting, entertaining, and, dare I say, educational.
I'm not watching for the recipes, don't really follow recipes anyhow, but I think they have improved my cooking.

I used to watch all the episodes of Townsends and enjoyed it. I sort of forgot about the channel, when YouTube decided that they weren't going to send me emails updates any more. :ermm:

Thanks for the reminder. They did a lot more episodes that involved old types construction and fewer about food, before the pandemic. Wasn't there a big uptick in interest in food videos that started during the pandemic? I wonder if that was a factor.

I've watched this series, too, and it's very interesting to me, especially since they are based here in Virginia. I'm fascinated by food and cultural history and they bring it to life. Thanks for mentioning it, skillet licker. And welcome back.

If anyone really likes recreations of historical recipes and dishes, there is a good channel on YouTube called, "Tasting History". He does a lot of research to recreate those dishes. Sometimes there is a recipe or several recipes of the specific dish. Other times, like with a Roman era bread, it's more a question of finding similar recipes and doing some more research and some guess work.

If anyone really likes recreations of historical recipes and dishes, there is a good channel on YouTube called, "Tasting History". He does a lot of research to recreate those dishes. Sometimes there is a recipe or several recipes of the specific dish. Other times, like with a Roman era bread, it's more a question of finding similar recipes and doing some more research and some guess work.
Now look what you did! [emoji16] I subscribed to not one but TWO new channels! Browsing the the "Tasting History" videos led to one he did as a guest on "Ancient Recipes with Sohls," where she goes far back into history. The first one I happened upon was making garum, the ancient Roman fish sauce. I love these.

This is one making Aztec tacos. Let's all try it for Taco Tuesday and compare notes! [emoji16]
https://youtu.be/4Dp0nuF1oKY

Last edited:
Now look what you did! [emoji16] I subscribed to not one but TWO new channels! Browsing the the "Tasting History" videos led to one he did as a guest on "Ancient Recipes with Sohls," where she goes far back into history. The first one I happened upon was making garum, the ancient Roman fish sauce. I love these.

This is one making Aztec tacos. Let's all try it for Taco Tuesday and compare notes! [emoji16]
https://youtu.be/4Dp0nuF1oKY

Those Aztec tacos look interesting, but tomato seems essential to this recipe and I try to avoid eating tomatoes, especially cooked ones.

I haven't watched one of their videos in a long time. I really liked the one's he did with Michael Twitty, who teaches how enslaved Africans in the old South turned what they had into good food, and how it became a part of American cooking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwkRWIwZ43A

CD

I don't like most bbq sauces, but this sounds really good. Thank you for sharing this video.

I haven't watched one of their videos in a long time. I really liked the one's he did with Michael Twitty, who teaches how enslaved Africans in the old South turned what they had into good food, and how it became a part of American cooking.

If you have Netflix, you might also enjoy "High on the Hog".

"Food writer Stephen Satterfield traces the origins of African-American cuisine, tracing its through lines from Africa to Texas."

I found this series to be very interesting.

Ross

Back
Top Bottom