Tomato Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tomato Soup

2 Tb Olive oil
¼ Lb Pancetta – diced
1 Carrot - diced
1 Onion - diced
1 Celery - diced
2 Garlic - minced
2 Tb Flour
4 C Chicken broth
16 Oz Tomato
½ Tb Thyme
½ Tb Rosemary
½ Tb Cumin
1 tsp Chili Powder
TT Salt & Pepper

Sauté the pancetta in the oil until the fat is rendered and the lean is browned.

Sauté the vegetables in the fat over medium high heat until they begin to brown.

Stir in the flour and cook for two - three minutes.

Add the broth and deglaze the pan.

Add the tomato, herbs and spices.

Cook for 30 - 45 minutes.

Use a blender or hand blender to puree the soup.

Strain to remove the rosemary.

That sounds really good. I would add a little half and half at the end, just because I love a creamy tomato soup. :yum:

:LOL:Mine is really easy. Pop the top of the Campbell's can. Dump it in the saucepan, and add a can of milk. Heat.:LOL::whistling

I had a friend that worked in a small cafe and when he was late for work this was the soup of the day.

One large can of tomato juice, 1 16 ounce can of chicken broth, 1 cup of rice, salt, pepper and onion powder to taste. Combine ingredients and cook 10-15 minutes until rice is tender. Serve with a small pat of butter in the bottom of each bowl.

Now I see a similar recipe from Nigella Lawson, I wonder if she was late for work the day she came up with it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Rice and Tomato Soup Recipe : Nigella Lawson : Food Network

I had a friend that worked in a small cafe and when he was late for work this was the soup of the day.

One large can of tomato juice, 1 16 ounce can of chicken broth, 1 cup of rice, salt, pepper and onion powder to taste. Combine ingredients and cook 10-15 minutes until rice is tender. Serve with a small pat of butter in the bottom of each bowl.

Now I see a similar recipe from Nigella Lawson, I wonder if she was late for work the day she came up with it! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Rice and Tomato Soup Recipe : Nigella Lawson : Food Network

:LOL:

I've done similar with low sodium V8.

:LOL:Mine is really easy. Pop the top of the Campbell's can. Dump it in the saucepan, and add a can of milk. Heat.:LOL::whistling

Go ahead laugh but mine is similar.... Campbells tomato soup made with water. At the end, add a couple of Tablespoons of half and half, a dollop of Pesto and some cracked black pepper. Serve it up with a grilled cheese sandwich - perfection.

:LOL:

I've done similar with low sodium V8.

Have you really Dawg??
I have a very old and comical memory of V8 tomato soup I'll share with you. I was a nineteen old bride when my equally young groom was sick in bed with who remembers what now. I dutifully asked him what I could fix him to eat and he whined "tomato soup like my mother makes". I said I only knew about Campbell's but he said his mom made it with V8 juice. That didn't sound right to me, but oh well. I heated up a can of V8 and equal part milk. It was the worse thing I ever tasted but he ate it. I later found out his mother never did that but he thought it sounded good and figured he better not say anything. :ROFLMAO: We both laughed about that for the next 42 years. The up side is he never again requested anything "like my mother used to make".
Still miss that guy. :heart:

Andy, I cut and pasted.......that recipe sounds really wonderful.

Last edited:
I just made Andy's tomato soup. I forgot the chili powder, but it was still really, really good. I want a third bowl, but I'm full. :pig:

Thanks for the recipe Andy. This one's a keeper.

I just made Andy's tomato soup. I forgot the chili powder, but it was still really, really good. I want a third bowl, but I'm full. :pig:

Thanks for the recipe Andy. This one's a keeper.

Thanks, TL.

Add some chili powder to the leftovers.

Andy, your recipe looks incredible. I have cut and pasted it.

My offering is much more basic, but pure tomato goodness. And it's simply another recipe. I developed it for a lady who sells tomatoes at our local Farmer's Market. She had an over-abundance of tomatoes, and wanted a creamy tomato soup recipe, as she usually just canned her tomatoes, and wanted something different. The recipe wowed her, and she insisted on giving me a bushel of fresh tomatoes as payment.

I'm really liking the looks of Andy's recipe. I will be trying it. For me, variety is everything, and there is no single way to make anything that is perfect for every mood, or occasion. So here it is. Enjoy.

Tomato Soup From Scratch

This gives a very nice and creamy soup that will warm your bones. Seve with a good, crusty artisan bread.
Ingredients:
6 medium, ripened-on-the-vine tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tbsp dry basil
1/2 tsp finely ground black pepper

Blanch the tomatoes for 30 seconds in boiling water to loosen the skins. Remove the skins. Saute the onion in 2 tbs. olive oil until softened, you may carmelize them if you wish, but it isn't essential. Add the minced garlic to the onion and cook for another half minute, then add the tomatoes. Heat through and use and immersion blender, or pour into a stand blender to liquify. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes more.

The beauty of this soup is that you can alter the herbs or add other spices to turn it into anything you want. You could add cream if you desire, which is very tasty, or throw in some thyme, rosemary, and ground beef to turn it into a Bolognese sauce. Add carrots and celery to give it a more French flavor. You can really do whatever you want with it. But it's pretty tasty just as is too.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I always add a little white vinegar (for 1 quart that means about 1-2 teaspoons) to tomato soup, canned or otherwise. Same for vegetable soup.

I always add a little white vinegar (for 1 quart that means about 1-2 teaspoons) to tomato soup, canned or otherwise. Same for vegetable soup.
I was thinking of doing that, but I tasted the soup and it had just a tiny bit of acidity to it already. I guess that comes from the tomatoes. Maybe it's because I used pasata. (I have some food restrictions and the BPA lining in the cans of almost all tinned tomatoes puts them in the list of foods I shouldn't eat.)

Taxy and others,

Passata isn't found easily in the US that much, or at least in my groceries, but I'm sure I could find it.

Is it really worth finding? I'm curious if there's that much difference between that and pure tomato sauce (which isn't that pure in that it often has spices and other ingredients in it.)

Taxy and others,

Passata isn't found easily in the US that much, or at least in my groceries, but I'm sure I could find it.

Is it really worth finding? I'm curious if there's that much difference between that and pure tomato sauce (which isn't that pure in that it often has spices and other ingredients in it.)
I buy it at Costco. It's just strained tomatoes and the one I buy at Costco has a basil leaf or two in each bottle. To me, the advantage is that it comes in a glass bottle. I suspect it has less fibre than whole tomatoes and fibre might dilute the acidity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom