Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The grapes are spring 2021 (and we put more in this fall too), Stark Bros (come with a 125% guarantee). They are on the right, about 3 feet tall.

pears-and-grapes-011.jpg

pizzagarden-004.jpg

Those grapes look great.

Update on my Horse Manure Situation.
Picked up a car load today without incident ( None spilled in the car)
Spread a bunch out over the vacant spots in the garden
Parsley still going strong. Eventually I may cover it with something so I can get all winter out of it.
Kale covered with Plastic , works well until my cats figure out how to get in.
Garlic bed ready to go ( carrots in the center of the bed. Will over winter them too and pick in the spring.

Attachments

• Horse crap 1 .png
    Horse crap 1 .png
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
  • Horse crap 4 .png
    Horse crap 4 .png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • Horse crap 3.png
    Horse crap 3.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • Horse crap 5 .png
    Horse crap 5 .png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • Garlic : Carrots.png
    Garlic : Carrots.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 4
  • Kale parsley.png
    Kale parsley.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
Wow that's a load of horsecrap. lol, I plan to do the same...by the trailer load full. I'm so glad you didn't end up in marriage pergatory on the couch.
The gardens look GREAT!
What happens to the carrots when you leave them in? Do they get bigger? Mine are kind of small and I'm not sure if we should dig them out or not.

What happens to the carrots when you leave them in? Do they get bigger? Mine are kind of small and I'm not sure if we should dig them out or not.
Ill cover them up making like a plastic tent/ green house over them.
I think they have a little more crowing to do, but probably not much as the amount of sun decreases. Id say about %75 are harvestable in he spring ( some do freeze so the consistency gets a little spongy, but the others are fine). I have to get them out in March to make room for onions plus they'll go to seed if I le them continue to grow next spring. So many of the seed packets say they'll be harvestable in 60 days ( some 55, some 75), but Ive never had the time table. It usually takes longer. I plant them with the intentions to harvest them in 2 months or so, always disappointed that at that time there is not much carrot under the ground. I plant them earlier and earlier each year to try and accommodate for the extra time they realistically need, with the same results. Thats why I started just trying to over winter and see whaat happens. Worked out last few years. I also plant a spring crop too which do ok. Carrots aren't my mist successful crop by far, so I only plant them if I have room . The pic was what I harvested this spring from the over wintered crop, ranging from 4 - 6 inches in length. I forgot the varieties I planted.

Attachments

• caarrots.jpg
    caarrots.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 1
And here are a few jalapeños, to add to those previous ripe Thai peppers, and there are many more of those that are green, but full sized. I was going to continue picking those, but they started doing some really loud road work - can't complain, as they will be re-paving my street soon! So I came back inside until later.
The end of the jalapenos from the 2 plants, 10-11, only 3 from one plant. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's the ripe Aruna and Thai peppers from the last couple of days. The green ones I'll freeze, and use in the many recipes that call for green chiles.
Latest ripe Aruna 10-10 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Some of the latest ripe Thai peppers, 10-10 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

LOL - repaving your street? there goes your "improvemnt taxes" - ouch
We pay them all the time, just don't get any improvement! I remember they repaved it in '85 - about a year after I moved in. I don't know how they make these decisions. I know my street isn't a county or state road, for sure!

I got back out there and picked the majority of my remaining peppers. 3 of the plants had the majority of the peppers on them, like that one jalapeño had the most. I didn't pick any more Carolina Reapers or Hanoi Markets - they are best totally ripe. The one Thai Vesuvius and both Aruna peppers had an incredible amount on each plant, the second Thai Vesuvius still a good number, and the Thai Santaka plants not very productive late in the season.
All from just one Thai Vesuvius plant, 10-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Remaining peppers on all the Thai plants, and two Superchili - the light colored peppers. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

This photo shows a lot of the peppers all over just 2 Aruna plants. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

All of the peppers from just 2 Aruna plants, after a few ripe ones a couple days ago, and over a half gallon of dried peppers. 10-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

This is the second and final load of apples DH and I picked at a friends farm. Have been making many desserts, especially a crustless sour cream apple pie, and canning apple sauce. All of this batch are excellent eating apples too.IMG_4810 apples.jpg

This is the second and final load of apples DH and I picked at a friends farm. Have been making many desserts, especially a crustless sour cream apple pie, and canning apple sauce. All of this batch are excellent eating apples too.View attachment 62110
Crustless sour cream apple pie? Sounds interesting. Do you mind sharing the recipe?

Sure.

I use my hand cranked apple corer/slicer to work up the apples. This unit also has a peeler but I leave the peels on. I mix up the wet mixture before I work up the apples and put the apple slices directly into the sour cream mixture so the apples never turn brown. It is delicious.

Sure.

I use my hand cranked apple corer/slicer to work up the apples. This unit also has a peeler but I leave the peels on. I mix up the wet mixture before I work up the apples and put the apple slices directly into the sour cream mixture so the apples never turn brown. It is delicious.
Thank you very much. It does look like it would be good. I wonder if it would work with other fruit.

Other fruit? This is a new recipe to me and I had not thought of this, but I think peaches would do well. I make a peach pie that has one cup of heavy whipping cream poured over it before baking and it is divine.

I picked most of the end of my tomatoes today, since I am forecast a frost tonight. Originally, it was forecast even lower, but the predicted lows are getting higher, so we'll see badly it frosts. I harvested only the full sized green, ripe, and in between - undersized ones I left - if they don't die from frost, maybe I'll get more!
Maybe the last tomatoes of the season, 10-18 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I also picked a few ripening Carolina Reapers. Still a bunch of green Hanoi Market, but that's one that doesn't have flavor unless ripe. I also found a few more dried Red Thai Long Bean pods, to save the seeds from.
Last ripening Carolina Reapers, plus a few more dried pods for the red Thai long beans. 10-18 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I pulled out the last two Butternuts, which I had left when I harvested 5 ripe ones a few days ago. These ripened considerably, in just a few days - still a hint of green, but I don't know how much more they will ripen, now that they are off the vines.
Butternut squash, 2 greenish ones on top left for last, but pulled due to frost, 10-18 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

We sampled the end of the carrot area, to see how they are doing. We have purple, golden, and orange carrots, from 1-5 inches long. We might get them all out of the ground tonight or tomorrow (while it is warm). Aren't they pretty.
carrots-028.jpg

thanks @larry_stewart
We've had bigger and more carrots in past years. At least they grew a little. I might try them again, in full sun next year. I have an area in mind for that for next year. Carrots.....sometimes they grow sometimes not so much. :wacko:

My carrots are also hit or miss. I thought I figured out the perfect time to plant in the late summer to have a bumper fall crop ( based on tweaking planting dates over the past few years), but it doesnt look like it worked out this year. None look like they're really big enough to pick now, but will grow little until I have to get them out ( next spring) to make room for onions, so Im leaning towards just getting them out and prepping the soil for next years onions crop.

More Mushrooms ( Oyster and Chestnut ).
Dehydrated the chestnut and made marinated mushrooms from the oysters.
(This is about 3.5 Lbs of mushrooms (3 once cleaned and trimmed).

Attachments

• Shrooms.png
    Shrooms.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom