Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long do those caterpillars live?
They (the Black Swallowtail) grow relatively fast. Its amazing how big. they get day to day. Maybe a couple of weeks (2-4) until they form a chrysalis. Then another 2. - 3 weeks until they emerge from the chrysalis as. a Butterfly. Im sure it varies for different types of butterfly, the black swallowtail is the only one im familiar with specifically.

The small caterpillars are mostly black with a single thick which stripe/ band somewhere in the center. (The almost look like bird crap, which may be a camouflage/ defense thing, not sure). As they. get older they develop their stripes.

If you touch them, or they feel threatened , they have these yellowish orange (2 of them) extensions that pop out of their head ( and give off an unpleasant aroma). They almost look like horns, but are soft, not hard.

I actually had one that formed a chrysalis, but way too late in the season, so I stored it in my. fridge, and when spring time. came, I took it out and it ' hatched'. I dont think they migrate like monarchs, but overwinter, or kinda hibernate until the climate is ideal. The kids loved. watching them change.

Today I ground up the rest of my leaves (at least that I'm going to bother with), and harvested the last two of my kohlrabis, one of which got huge, and one not very big at all, in the same amount of time. These are 2 superschmelz kohlrabis, planted at the same time - 9-14 - and one got huge, the other was the smallest of all the kohlrabis I had. I've harvested the rest of them as needed, at normal size, in early November. That's a 4 qt bowl they are in, as reference.
Superschmelz kohlrabi, a 46.8 oz, and a 6.7 oz, harvested 12-5 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Today I ground up the rest of my leaves (at least that I'm going to bother with), and harvested the last two of my kohlrabis, one of which got huge, and one not very big at all, in the same amount of time. These are 2 superschmelz kohlrabis, planted at the same time - 9-14 - and one got huge, the other was the smallest of all the kohlrabis I had. I've harvested the rest of them as needed, at normal size, in early November. That's a 4 qt bowl they are in, as reference.
Superschmelz kohlrabi, a 46.8 oz, and a 6.7 oz, harvested 12-5 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Were they in the ground to in pots ?
I always am amazed by how 2 plants of the same variety planted at the same time, same location, same watering, fertilizer ..... one can thrive and its neihboring counterpart does not.

They looks great!

still have a few broccoli plants out there. Probably should have planted them 2 weeks earlier. Very small.

@larry_stewart Those kohlrabi were growing in a raised bed, next to each other. I remember years ago, the superschmelz I grew was also like this - the size was not as uniform as it was with other varieties. I grew it again because I got a free seed packet. Still good, but the sizes were variable, as they were years ago.

@larry_stewart Those kohlrabi were growing in a raised bed, next to each other. I remember years ago, the superschmelz I grew was also like this - the size was not as uniform as it was with other varieties. I grew it again because I got a free seed packet. Still good, but the sizes were variable, as they were years ago.
Did you start them from seed ( on 9-14). or did you purchase them as seedlings ?

I start all those brassicas from seed. Sometimes, in spring, I start them in small pots - the 72/tray size - about 3 weeks before it's warm enough to plant, and in fall I do this with some in late August, to plant, then cover the bed, but this kohlrabi I direct seeded in another bed.

More Oyster Mushrooms. Now with the winter setting in, I have moved my mushroom production inside. I do the TP ( Toilet Paper ) method . Every week or two a take a few inoculated rolls out of the fridge to fruit. Takes about 7 - 10 days to harvest once taken out of the fridge.

Attachments

• TP Oyster 2 .png
    TP Oyster 2 .png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • TP Oyster 1.png
    TP Oyster 1.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Harvested 2 broccoli heads the other day ( if you can call them heads). Lemon is for reference. Enough for me to use in a lo mein . All I got left out there is the arugula ( which is left exposed to the elements in a whatever happens, happens. Parsley , the same. And some covered rows of lettuce, kale and chard. The kale will make it and be harvested for an early spring harvest. The chard and parsley may make it ( they usually does but go to seed. I use what I can before it goes seed, then replant). Lettuce will die off. Wrapped the rest of the fig trees today. Not sure why I make such an effort each year, as the most Ive ever gotten in one season was 3.

Attachments

• Lo Mein.png
    Lo Mein.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • Broccooli.png
    Broccooli.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • Arugula.png
    Arugula.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Here are the greens I harvested today:
Hydro greens, 3-12 Red kale, wisubina mustard, mizuna, arugula on the counter. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

As always, the mizuna probably produced the most per plant, though those wizubina mustard greens are doing very well, too, and the stems are not fibrous at all. That was the first kale I've planted inside, because it is short. All are "cut and come again", even the arugula, that bolts quickly, but I have still gotten 3 harvests from that one plant.

Another harvest from the hydroponics I had was a generous amount of red epazote, which I took up to the Mexican grocery, when I went up.

Last edited:
Glad you got some asparagus. Ive tried growing it multiple times , with little success. Never enough to do anything with. Finally, I gave up and planted potatoes in their spot. Every now an then, a single asparagus pops up from a place where I guess I didn't get all the asparagus roots out.

Our produce today wasn't prolific, but we did get our first spears of asparagus. They are small, and just enough for two servings. So happy to have fresh asparagus from our little patch! We will have them for dinner tonight.
By history, I am still three weeks away from my first asparagus spear of the year. Congratulations!

Like Larry, I have had no success with asparagus, and last season I dug up some 5 year old plants that just never got better. What I had last season was not much better than on the second season, and I never had enough to harvest.

I really was hoping my asparagus would have kicked in. But after several attempts ( in different locations) and waiting years for disappointment, I gave up. There is an asparagus farm about 20 miles from me. They obviously know what they're doing. I have a limited amount of gardening space, so Im not crazy about designating one spot exclusively to one crop ( especially if it doesnt do well).

I really was hoping my asparagus would have kicked in. But after several attempts ( in different locations) and waiting years for disappointment, I gave up. There is an asparagus farm about 20 miles from me. They obviously know what they're doing. I have a limited amount of gardening space, so Im not crazy about designating one spot exclusively to one crop ( especially if it doesnt do well).
Have you ever had your soil analyzed? I think the farm bureau handles such things.

Asparagus isn't really difficult, it's just slow.
We plant Martha Washington variety, and don't harvest the first two years. After that, a light harvest the third year, and afterwards we have two seasons of harvesting--spring and fall. We have a long growing season, so not everyone would have two harvests.
Funny aside: my husband hated asparagus, calling the spears "mossy logs" because all his mother served was canned asparagus. When I introduced him to lightly steamed fresh asparagus with a bit of butter on it, he asked what this delicious "thing" was. He has been a big asparagus fan ever since.

Back
Top Bottom