Today's harvest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:eek: :eek: :eek: am I really reading this? LOL, may the dragon bless you Larry. You sure you are not GMing these poor plants?

ok ok, just kidding, please don't take offence! :blush:
It took me a little while to figure out what you meant. Whenever I have heard the term "GMing", it has meant running a role playing game, being the "Game Master", like Dungeon Master, but for games that are not Dungeons and Dragons. I was trying to picture Larry directing the tomatoes in the style of a Game Master. :stuart: :ROFLMAO:

Still getting peppers! I pulled 6 more plants Saturday - one the Carolina Reaper, with 4 ripe ones still, a Superchili, which surprisingly didn't keep producing, and those Kanthari peppers, which keep producing until killed by the cold. The Hanoi markets I left in, and there are still a bunch, with a few more ripening every day. Still a few jalapeños and Thai peppers, too, so those 3 plants will stay until maybe a week from now, when it is supposed to get in the low 30s.
Last 4 Carolina Reapers and a bunch of Hanoi Market peppers, picked on 11-5. Still more Hanoi Markets. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I also got my hydroponics set up! Yesterday, mostly cleaning up, and getting it ready, and today, the actual setting up. Now, the planting...
got my hydroponics system set up these last two days! Mostly today - yesterday cleaning up, and getting area ready. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The left one is the 27 gal tub, the right one the 12 gal. I tried some cuttings of some things, like I usually do, but got started too late, and they didn't do well. No big deal, as they grow fast, even from seed.

:eek: :eek: :eek: am I really reading this? LOL, may the dragon bless you Larry. You sure you are not GMing these poor plants?

ok ok, just kidding, please don't take offence! :blush:
No mad science going on here :), just trying increase my odds ( Wish I was able to increase my odds in the 2 billion lotto, guess Ill stick to tomatoes, better luck and more predictable).

That's what I am trying to watch closely, @larry_stewart - the production of the tomato varieties. Of course, flavor and heat and disease resistance matter a lot, too! I watch the discussions closely on Tomato Junction, and also see where they are growing, to see how close their weather would be to mine. Some of those guys are more obsessed with tomatoes than I am with peppers! As usual, I only got a couple definite keepers this year, with tomatoes.

truth to tell? think I'm a little jealous of all of you. :blush: Not only your success' with plants in general but your ability of continuity with tracking, varieties, producers, even processing.

So my jokes are in reality sour grapes, :rolleyes: of which I have an abundance. The tenacity of the varietal is amazing, produces all year long. Easy to pick, has a long lingering effect on the tongue. :innocent: I could send you some seeds if you'd like to try them. Not that I recommend it, those vines are very invasive, hard to keep in just one area.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I've tried grapes many times in the past, with little success. Sour, seedy and the plants just dont thrive and never look healthy. Its surprising since less than 30 miles away is the " wine country' of where I live, so environmentally it should be the same or similar. Im guessing its their know how!!. Years ago, my grape plants had some kind of fungus or disease. I couldn't identify it, so I figured who better to ask then some of the vineyards out east. They wanted me too bring a few infected leaves for them to evaluate . At first I was going to do it, but then I figured I'd probably jus infect the whole crop out there , ruining the industry, so I opted against I and just dug the plants up. I have kiwi vines that are also extremely invasive. II do ge fruit from them, but plants area just too invasive so ive moved them, cut them back aggressively and whatever happens happens .

Mid-summer my last year on the farm I planted some grapes. Then I moved in early spring and never even got to see if they survived the winter. Same with 2 blueberry plants, from which I did get a few berries that year.
I really should get in touch with the new owners to see if anything came back.

Edit:
Larry, I'm really surprised they asked you for a sample without saying or giving vast amounts of instructions to prevent contaminating their own. Good on you for your decision.

Last edited:
Larry, I'm really surprised they asked you for a sample without saying or giving vast amounts of instructions to prevent contaminating their own. Good on you for your decision.
Yeah, I thought that was a bizarre request. Its bad enough I was having a bad crop, I didnt want to cripple the industry. I'm guessing they knew what they were doing and didnt think it. was any threat, but I decided to play it safe, and do the thinking for them.

Was bringing some of my outdoor plants inside today. The ginger didnt take a liking to the cooler weather ( basically, I waited too long to get tit inside), so I decided to harvest. Much better than I expected. I've grow it in the past, but it usually needs a longer, warmer growing season for the ginger to bulk up. If you look on the left, you an see the new (lighter ) growth attached to the initial ginger (darker) that I planted. This was all from a single 2 gallon pot.

The carrot is full size, about 2 inches by 1 1/2 . Its an Oxheart carrot. It's one of the few times I actually grew aa carrot that got to the size the package said it would. Started them from seed late July. So much for the 60 days til harvest.

Attachments

• Ginger.png
    Ginger.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
Although Harvested a few weeks ago, it finally made it into my kitchen to be cooked up sometime this week. Its my one and only Delicata Squash from the garden

Attachments

• Delacata Squash.png
    Delacata Squash.png
    868.1 KB · Views: 0
I've had a few OP butternut squash varieties that only gave me 2 squash per plant, but I would get a huge number of male blossoms on those plants!

I got my last tomatoes today! I pulled the last cherry tomatoes off 7 plants, getting some green tomatoes, but mostly are ripe or blushing. I wanted to get the last SIPs emptied of their water (and plants, of course), and covered, before freezing. There were still probably about a hundred tiny tomatoes still on the plants, along with flowers, when I cut them away from the trellises - I only harvested the full sized green tomatoes.
Over 3 qts of the last tomatoes, from 7 plants, 11-9 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

@larry_stewart awesome ginger. Those delicata are very nice tasting squash, one of our favorites.
The ginger was an unexpected surprise , Ive grown it the past and everything above ground looked big and healthy, only to dig it up and find minimal to nothing. This year was an exception.

I never had delicate squash until about a year ago. Ever since then I've been hooked. I've never had a thriving crop ( I think 2 last year and the one this year). I guess a few is better than nothing.

Finally, the last peppers! I could have gotten a few more, by bringing the 3 plants inside, to my back porch, but do I really need any more? :ROFLMAO:

I harvested the last of these three, mostly the Hanoi Markets, but a few of the others. Only 2 of the green Hanoi Markets from last harvest didn't ripen, and I'll see about these.
Harvest from last 3 plants - Hanoi Market, Jalapeno, and Thai Vesuvius. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

A freeze is predicted for tonight, so this afternoon we picked every green tomato and brought them in to (hopefully) ripen. My laundry room table is now full of green peppers. This "pick and wait" has worked for us in the past, with most ripening and very few just sitting there, getting soft and icky.
We saw two garlic sprouts today from garlic cloves planted earlier this month.

Finally, the last peppers! I could have gotten a few more, by bringing the 3 plants inside, to my back porch, but do I really need any more? :ROFLMAO:

I harvested the last of these three, mostly the Hanoi Markets, but a few of the others. Only 2 of the green Hanoi Markets from last harvest didn't ripen, and I'll see about these.
Harvest from last 3 plants - Hanoi Market, Jalapeno, and Thai Vesuvius. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Some of those look like Serrano pepper. Are they all good and hot? My India recipe calls for 4 serrano and I would like a substitute that does not burn my hands.

Some of those look like Serrano pepper. Are they all good and hot? My India recipe calls for 4 serrano and I would like a substitute that does not burn my hands.
Those jalapeños (about 5k) are the only thing in this group milder than serranos, which are around 20-25k. The Hanoi Market is about 35-40k, and the Thai around 60k. The green Thai peppers are what I use in Indian dishes, calling for green fresh peppers - they often call for serranos, simply because they are available in most supermarkets now.
You won't find any mild serranos varieties, like they sell mild jalapeño varieties, though they may come up with some, since they are so popular.

Pepper, nexts season I may be asking you a lot of questions about growing peppers ( Soil, fertilizer, timing ...). What used to be a reliable crop failed miserably this past season ( except the shishitos).

With the recent rains and cool down, my mushrooms kicked in again. Got some oysters, Chestnut and Almond. A few off-vine ripening tomatoes, and the lone Delacata squash waiting to be eaten.

Attachments

• Late Season Mushrooms (aand Tomatoes).png
    Late Season Mushrooms (aand Tomatoes).png
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Back
Top Bottom