To what causes have you donated money lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
on the other hand i think these days people don't give enough credit for things.
whether for donating money or time for others

Last edited:
We donate to American Civil Liberties Union (but that is really a membership), to the local food pantry, the local animal rescue shelter, and chef Andres World Central Kitchen.
There is so much need, and our resources are limited, but we do what we can.
We don't expect gratitude, but when we get a sincere "Thank you" we feel good about it. Taking credit for a good deed sometimes inspires others to donate time and/or money. That is a good thing!

It's actually considered to be extremely rude to ask someone if they have donated money, goods or time, in Israel. It is also considered to be boasting to say that you have done so, as it is thought to be shaming the person you tell, implying that they have not done so.

In Judaism it is a duty, an obligation, to help those in need, and telling people that you have done so, negates that obligation.

I don't know if it's true, but someone told me that the Hebrew word for charity actually means "justice". I like that idea.

The word is Tzedakah, which means philanthropy and charity. It is a form of social justice in which donors benefit from giving as much or more than the recipients. And it should be done anonymously so the recipient does not know from whom it came.

By the recipient accepting, they are performing a Mitzvah - a good deed, because they are permitting the person who gave Tzedakah to have fulfilled his/her obligation.

צדקה will mean justice if you remove the ה at the end.
but yes you are right.
interesting to know who told you that..

Who told me? Nobody had to tell me.

I am an Orthodox Jew from an Orthodox family. I will be 81 years old in a few weeks and have lived my entire life according to Orthodox Judaism. I have lived in Israel for nearly 40 years, so please do not try and teach me what Hebrew words mean. I used the English transliteration Tzedakah because most people on here do not understand Hebrew.

It's actually considered to be extremely rude to ask someone if they have donated money, goods or time, in Israel. It is also considered to be boasting to say that you have done so, as it is thought to be shaming the person you tell, implying that they have not done so.

In Judaism it is a duty, an obligation, to help those in need, and telling people that you have done so, negates that obligation.
So why are you asking us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom