To apron or not to apron?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marlingardener

Sous Chef
I have four aprons which get used pretty often. Often doesn't mean always, so I get spots and food debris on my tee shirts, pants, and anything else I can use to wipe my hands on.
Do you you aprons, and if so, when?

According to some, I don't use aprons often enough.

I try to use an apron whenever there is a good chance of spatter, such as pan or deep frying. My aprons were a gift form the lovely lady who is responsible for laundry here. According to her, I don't wear one often enough.

On the bright side, I have a lot of t-shirts.

I'm about the same as Andy. That said, I now lay shirts out on the counter before tossing them into the washer. I use lots of Spray & Wash!

My around the house clothes are pretty well used. I don't bother protecting them anymore. Yes, I pretreat a lot!!!

I'm about the same as Andy. That said, I now lay shirts out on the counter before tossing them into the washer. I use lots of Spray & Wash!

Spray&Wash, Shout, Oxyclean... I think SO has a three wash limit. If she washes it three times and the stains are still there, it magically transforms from a t-shirt to a rag.

I have one apron. I hardly ever remember to wear it. I should get some more and start using them. I should get some with big pockets.

I put on an apron any time I eat. If I don't I am guaranteed to spill, splash, drop or dribble something that stains on the shirt I just this minute put on clean!

Guarranteed to happen here too. BUT... even if I do wear one, the splatter magically jumps over the bib of the apron and on down onto the shirt... can't win.

I don't think I have a single top, other than the one I bought last week and haven't worn yet, that doesn't have a stain of some sort. From either cooking or eating. :pig::wacko:

Yeah, getting the food from your plate to your mouth is the issue. Forks are dangerous and difficult to manage devices, boosting sales of spot removers around the world.

But there is a solution:

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u2.jpg

Well...

Never fails that I make bread or something that involves flour and I have a black tee shirt or tank top. Get it.

However, I've gotten better in my 73 years and have learned that an apron can take care of my flour issues. Otherwise, no apron.

When frying, I'm usually far enough from the frying source to not have a problem and, now, with such things as air fryers the risk is a lot less.

I wear an apron every day and only take it off to go outside to work in the garden. I have made dozens of aprons and still have maybe 10 in stock right now.

I have found that aprons with waist ties and neck loops difficult to wear. I have issues with my spine and wearing an apron doesn't help. I finally found a solution but the waist ties must be long enough.

Take one tie and pass it thru the neck loop from one direction and the other tie from the other direction. Tie/knot them together.

To put the apron on, hold up the neck loop, put over your head, making sure the knot of the ties are centered. Then slide your arms thru the two loops created by the ties... and you are done.

The weight is on your shoulders and not your neck.

My verbal explanation was terrible. My drawing is not much better but hopefully you will 'get the picture'. Lol

To put on, grab the neck loop with both hands and at the same time, a tie, with the knot in between.
Slip over your head and then your arms into the other loops.
Like putting a sweater on backwards.
20220617_215720.jpg20220617_215820.jpg

I always wear an apron when cooking, because something ALWAYS splashes on a new T-shirt, a new pair of trousers, or some new sneakers, and ruins them.
I also cook a lot of Indian food, so anytime I´m working with turmeric, alarm bells go off. WATCH OUT FOR THE WHITES!!

Bethzaring, your post got me to go take stock of my aprons. I have six, with two being my favorites. One white one (used to be white) I wore while butchering a piglet our plumber brought us (hey, we're in Texas and strange things happen!); two were denim and too stiff to wear comfortably; two are my favorites with long ties and big easy to reach pockets; and the remaining apron is "decorative" with a cute print of vegetables.

My husband took the denim ones to his workshop, and the cute one will be a prize for the next cooking class I teach.

I should wear an apron.
I got plenty of them, but I always forget.
Well, I remember when I'm covered in flour or whatever, but then it doesn't make sense anymore.

It's also mostly too hot to wear one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom