Thursday Supper, 2023 January 19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
It's getting late so, I guess I'll start the supper thread, even though our supper wasn't very interesting. We had breakfast for supper - an omelette with feta and scallions with wholewheat toast to go with that.

Breakfast for supper - French omelette with feta and scallions and wholewheat toast.jpg

Today I made a delicious salad, started a couple nights ago! lol Actually, I soaked 1/4 c of mung beans overnight Tuesday, then sprouted them Wednesday and most of today, giving me over 2 c of half sprouts (another couple days would give well over a quart of full sized sprouts). The original recipe that gave me the idea for this was an Indian dish, with partially sprouted moth dal beans, with some shredded cabbage, but that's all the similarity. I sprouted mung beans instead, and shredded some Brussels sprouts I had, as the base for the salad. I first pressure cooked about 1/2 c kamut, in 3 c salted water in the Instant Pot, for 15 minutes, released the heat naturally, then stirred the sprouts in, for about 30 seconds, to blanch them, then drained and rinsed with cold water, to chill, then drained.

While that was cooking, I minced up a shallot, then soaked it in the juice of 1 lime (1.8 oz). Then I sliced up the Brussels sprouts in the food processor (basically shredding it), then diced up two ripe bell peppers, and minced up 5 green Thai peppers, along with about 1/2 c cilantro. I also drained a 6.5 oz can of kippered herring, and broke the fish up (later I added a half size can, as this didn't seem like enough). All of these I mixed up, then mixed in the well drained kamut and sprouts mix. Then I stirred in about 3 tb (or whatever the end of the bottle had!) olive oil, about 2 tb rice vinegar (adding a little more, until it tasted right), and a generous amount of nam pla prik (hot fish sauce), which was most of the salt in it. I always like making salads with Brussels sprouts, and this is a favorite one of the ones I've come up with, so far. Got over 2 qts of salad.
4 tb sprouted mung beans, soaked overnight, and now sprouted about 36 hours. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished salad, with sprouts, kamut, sliced Brussels sprouts, Thai peppers, bell peppers, cilantro, shallots, lime juice, rice vinegar, olive oil, fish sauce, and kippers. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

With the leftovers, I'll probably wrap some in those leaf lettuce trimmings, and eat it that way.

I made a version of pork fried rice with a barbecued pork chop I found in the freezer, a cup of white rice, and a 12oz bag of mixed vegetables. I sauced it with 2 tablespoons of Sweet Baby Rays sugar free barbecue sauce, 3 teaspoons of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, and 1 teaspoon of chili garlic paste.

A scoop of no sugar added vanilla ice cream with walnuts and sugar free maple flavored syrup for afters.

Roasted one of the frozen sirloin patties, with a potato and sweet potato along side. All coated with a President's Choice spice blend called "Smoky Bourbon Rub". This is a nice rub of not too sweet, not too saltly, just right spicy. Some steamed "lost in the fridge" brussel sprouts to go along side. Very satisfying.

We went to the grocery yesterday then decided to have lunch at our favorite wood fired oven pizza place. Craig had meatball and cheese. I had my go to Margharita. We always get large pizzas because they are only $3 more than the smalls. So we had pizza for lunch, then Craig finished his off for dinner and I ate a couple more pieces, so still have half of mine left.

You know, i have never understood the allure of cold pizza. I'll eat it at room temp, but never from refrigerator. Craig eats his leftovers cold though.
I guess I should clarify - by cold I mean I don't want it reheated. Cold from fridge or cold from sitting on the counter - doesn't matter to me, same-same.

When it is freshly done I eat it warm/hot like everyone else at the table. I'm talking leftovers. :-p

deluxe-saimin-bowl.jpg

(file photo)

A local favorite (reads as from Hawaii) - Won Ton Mein Deluxe - S&S brand Saimin, dumplings, my homemade Char Siu aka Chinese BBQ Pork, loads of chopped Green Onions, Kamaboko aka steamed Fishcake and Baby Bok Choy (the last 2 ingredients are in the bottom of the bowl-hidden). The Dashi or broth just warms you down to your toes. This is for me, a soul-satisfying bowl of goodness.

Back
Top Bottom