Thoughts on how to make a low(er) calorie cookie with panade...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whole milk

Senior Cook
When I was a kid there was a show called Remington Steel. In one episode, the man who created the calorie-free chocolate chip cookie was murdered, and all these years later I still think about that cookie. It's the Holy Grail, for me, anyway.

The other day I had some extra "de-watered" yogurt (think Greek yogurt) and on a whim I decided to use it place of butter in a chocolate chip cookie recipe. It was pretty good. Long story short, the tanginess from the yogurt really matches oranges and chocolate chips and I've made a few different batches with the expected cake like texture, but I wanna make it closer to gooey. Replacing the egg whites for yolks only takes me so far -- and adds calories...

I wanted to pick your brains: Hokkaido Milk Bread is*made*tender and moist without added fat by making a "panade" of milk and flour, basically a thickened paste they fold into the flour with the rest of the liquids. Has anyone here ever used such a method in cakes, cookies or other confections? Any thoughts of what might happen if used in cakes and cookies?*

Though this recipe has butter, and either lard, or coconut oil, it makes a bunch of cookies, with rolled oats in the, The cookies come to about 120 cal. per serving. This is my Mother's recipe, and was one of her favorites for holidays. You could substitute apple sauce for the lard to keep them moist and tender.

Also, use this recipe to make chocolate chip, or butterscotch cookies. Just make single layer cookies with the candy chips added.

Grandma Mary Cartwright’s Date Filled Cookies

Date cookies with oatmeal and brown sugar, shared on our forum.
Ingredients:

Cookie:
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. Butter
1 tsp. salt
3 eggs
2 c. oatmeal
2 1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. milk
1 tsp. Baking Powder in flour

Filling:
1 pkg. dates, finely chopped
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. Water
Or 1 can canned Date Filling

Preparation:
Cook filling until thickened. Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and mix well. Add flour and soda alternately with sour milk, then add oatmeal. Roll out on floured board, cut with cookie cutter. Put one teaspoon of dough filling on cookie and cover with another cookie. Bake at about 375 degrees for 10 to 15 minutes.

Here's a recipe I found online that has no added fat. Looking over the ingredients, it just looks yummy.

https://www.spoonforkbacon.com/blueberry-yogurt-cookies/

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Outstanding doughnut recipe that can also be used to make potato bread, yummy dinner rolls, sticky buns, filled doughnuts, and braided breads. It is the famous Spudnut recipe, and makes doughnuts that are a cut above all other yeast-raised doughnuts. This pastry dough would also make amazing submarine sandwich buns.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/idaho-spudnuts/

Sorry, this isn't low cal. But it is for when you want to indulge, just a little.:chef:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom