The last 2022 Costco run

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcSaute

Head Chef
for empty nesters, shopping at Costco is essentially "How much room do we have in the freezer?"
even our local Giant specializes in giant size packages/quantities . . . .
we did pick up some Prime ribeye - 1 lb each - so one steak does for two
IMG_2815.jpg

but my fav is the pork chops - loin&rib - i.e. bits of the tenderloin included - 12 chops=6 meals=~$2 per meal, $1 per person . . .
hard to beat. nice fat cap - which cooks up beautifully. I like to hot pan fry for color and crisp, finish in a 275'F oven to 140.
IMG_2814.jpg

also stocked up on chicken thighs&breast - very nice individual packing which saves me the effort to portion out...

I have never ever shared a steak. I don't even know if I could. I don't ever want to share a steak. If it was an end of world crisis, I would still not share my steak! I will share the pork chops & chicken. You did a good job shopping. The quality looks nice.

I share steak ever since I started reverse searing them. To reverse sear a steak properly, you need a steak that is at least an inch and a half thick. That means that a steak is really quite a lot of meat. I would rather reverse sear my steak and share it than have two thinner steaks.

I share steak ever since I started reverse searing them. To reverse sear a steak properly, you need a steak that is at least an inch and a half thick. That means that a steak is really quite a lot of meat. I would rather reverse sear my steak and share it than have two thinner steaks.
I'm not reverse my decision. No way am I sharing my steak! Maybe if it's two thinner steaks ... I might!

the package of four was 3.95 lbs /1792g - essentially 16 ounces/454g per steak - which for two old geezers is simply too much for one.
besides, it works out well for us as I prefer rare-to-medium and DW prefers medium. so I sear for crust&color, finish in oven . . . half way thru I cut the steak in half, then slice one half, thickness wise, in half - they both finish cooking at the same time....

the package of four was 3.95 lbs /1792g - essentially 16 ounces/454g per steak - which for two old geezers is simply too much for one.
besides, it works out well for us as I prefer rare-to-medium and DW prefers medium. so I sear for crust&color, finish in oven . . . half way thru I cut the steak in half, then slice one half, thickness wise, in half - they both finish cooking at the same time....
I'm going to give your cooking method a whirl.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom