The Flavor Matrix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I have been resisting placing my order for a copy. I want it, I want it...but...wondering if it is a good addition to my already bloated collection of cookbooks and food reference books. Should I get the Flavor Bible at the same time...decisions...decisions. I missed out on ATK and Cook's Country's cookbook sale because I sat on the fence too long.

Anyone have The Flavor Matrix? Pros? Cons? Ease of use?

Hi, I just checked it out on Amazon. They sure show you a lot of the book. From what I can tell, it is mostly information and very little recipes. It did not make me want to buy it. I don't know what you want.

I thought it was very interesting.

I don't want recipes. I want food science.

The Flavor Bible is a bit old at this point, but also looks good.

Im getting a full knee replacement tomorrow and wont be able to cook for awhile, but Ill be doing a lot of reading so I might buy both.

Hi, I just checked it out on Amazon. They sure show you a lot of the book. From what I can tell, it is mostly information and very little recipes. It did not make me want to buy it. I don't know what you want.
I am not interested in recipes. I want to stretch my palette and delve into "other" flavor profiles such as horseradish and strawberries...I think I will get both...

Have you acquired these books yet ? What is your impression of them ?

I purchased a book titled "Tasty" by John McQuaid.

https://www.amazon.com/Tasty-Art-Science-What-Eat/dp/1451685017

This may be an interesting companion book to the two you are considering.

The Chapter on Bitter flavor was a real eye opener for me.

You may find this in a Public Library or as a free E-Book.
Glad to hear your good review of this - thanks! I just received it today (took a while, but I was in no hurry), and it was in very good shape, used, and I figured I'd have a rainy day again, on which to kill some time reading. A friend told me he was very impressed with it, too, which was my excuse for buying it.

I bought the Flavor Bible back in 2011. I love it, and still pull it out when considering new recipes. It gave me confidence in creating my own recipes.

Back
Top Bottom