The Caveman Grill!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
When I got back from camping/backpacking trip to ID this was waiting for me!
yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7
It's an infrared top broiler called the Caveman Grill. It has a pretty small cooking area, only about 65 square inches, about enough for a steak of almost any size or a couple of burgers. The real draw is that it runs at 1,500 degrees F.
yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7
As a chef I'm used to cooking on steakhouse-type top broilers that can reach nearly 1,800 F which gives results you can't really duplicate at home. A conventional gas or charcoal grill is lucky to get up to 800 degrees F. To really get that crusty sear like a good steakhouse gives you requires extremely high heat, higher than most grills can deliver.
32.gif

The bottom doesn't really get hot but I set the CM up on a rolling rack with a pair of brick pavers underneath just to be safe. The brick also gives me a place to set the screaming hot grill tray when it comes out. I've only cooked on it twice but so far I'm over the moon!
dblthumb2.gif
42.gif

htPSElT.jpg

It takes a regular LP tank but I expect an adapter could be had to run it off a green disposable bottle. It's small enough to take car/truck camping. For $125 shipped it's an amazing deal! And those of you in the Midwest can pop down to your local Menard's and get one in the store!

Last edited:
That thing is just amazing Rob, and you can be sure I'd have one if I had the room.

I've been doing a lot of Sous Vide cooking and I love my 12,500 BTU searing side burner on my gas grill. It's so dang fun cooking with fire flare-ups and I've nicknamed it Wilma (Flintstone).

It's nice to see you again by the way.

I expected to see a bed of coals with the meat cooking directly on them.:LOL:

I've had it set up now for maybe 4 days and have cooked on it 5 times. Too soon to tell if it's well made and lasts but assuming it does I'd say it's one of the best culinary purchases I've ever made, up there with my chamber vacuum sealer and Sous Vide Supreme.:chef:

I made a nice Prime sirloin for lunch today. Gotta say, loving the Caveman grill! Occasionally the igniter doesn't want to light it but there's always a match or lighter. Doing Keto this is a huge boon for me! It's so handy being light it up and be cooking in a few minutes, then just needing a few minutes to cook a steak perfectly.

I've done burgers but steak prices are starting to get reasonable again at Costco. Today I picked up some Prime cap/coulotte steaks for $8/lb and some nice NY strips for $8 or 9/lb. It's handy to shop for the whole week and one steak = one meal just for me.

Watched some youtubes on the BEEFER grill and here's how they recommend cooking a steak:

BEEFER STEAK
1. Steak to room temperature
2. Preheat for 5 minutes
3. Beef the steak for 45-60 seconds on both sides
4. Put the steak on top of the Caveman for 5-7 minutes to rest
5. Beef both sides once again for 15 seconds each side to get the crispy crust
6. Season with salt and pepper

I have mentioned this before, but here I go again. If anyone wants a lot of grilling recipes and help with their grilling problems or questions, here is a great site. The members are very nice and friendly, and always eager to help. It's worth a look. It's Weber and safe. https://tvwbb.com/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom