The best pancake recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Real Help

Cook
Can you guys share a recipe for the best pancakes you've made? I haven't had much experience making pancakes and I've only used YouTube recipes, but they haven't turned out as well as I had hoped. Whenever I make them, they look fine, but they tend to be ... I don't know ... dry maybe, and not as fluffy as I'd wished. What am I doing wrong?

Dryness - Perhaps you are cooking them too long? Once you flip them they barely need to be browned on the bottom side.

fluffy - if your pan is not hot enough, the leavener (aka baking powder) needs to get busy real fast and rise - creating fluffy.

Both situations - could possibly be caused by too low a heat.
Water sprinkled on your pan should bounce/dance across the surface when hot enough.
On the other hand - if it instantly evaporates your pan is too hot.

Last edited:
Here is a recipe for the "World's Best Pancakes" as prepared by Chief Longwind of the North, a long time member of this forum. I have been making the for almost 20 years and they truly are great!

Here is a recipe for the "World's Best Pancakes" as prepared by Chief Longwind of the North, a long time member of this forum. I have been making the for almost 20 years and they truly are great!

I was going to post this, too.

I like thinner pancakes. Not as thin as a crepe, but close to that. My wife makes hers fluffy. And then she thins out the batter with more milk to make mine.
I am wondering if this is the best way or is there another way to take a traditional batter and make thin pancakes with it?
TIA

I like thinner pancakes. Not as thin as a crepe, but close to that. My wife makes hers fluffy. And then she thins out the batter with more milk to make mine.
I am wondering if this is the best way or is there another way to take a traditional batter and make thin pancakes with it?
TIA
You could use a crepe recipe and make them thicker.

Dryness - Perhaps you are cooking them too long? Once you flip them they barely need to be browned on the bottom side.

fluffy - if your pan is not hot enough, the leavener (aka baking powder) needs to get busy real fast and rise - creating fluffy.

Both situations - could possibly be caused by too low a heat.
Water sprinkled on your pan should bounce/dance across the surface when hot enough.
On the other hand - if it instantly evaporates your pan is too hot.
I don't know if dryness is the correct answer of what I am trying to explain but I will try out rising the power. Usually, I use a mid to high flame, (I am cooking on a gas stove) but I will go full high heat maybe that's the issue. Thank you!

thank you !

I don't know if dryness is the correct answer of what I am trying to explain but I will try out rising the power. Usually, I use a mid to high flame, (I am cooking on a gas stove) but I will go full high heat maybe that's the issue. Thank you!
It's more that you need to let the pan get hot before starting to cook the pancakes. If you put the flame on high, they might burn before they cook through.

Don’t be afraid to experiment until you come up with a recipe of your own.

The addition of fat makes pancakes tender. Oil, melted butter, sour cream, bacon fat, heavy cream, etc…

Fresh baking powder helps them rise.

Too many eggs can make them tough.

Control the thickness of the batter for thicker or thinner pancakes with the amount of liquid.

A little vanilla extract, sweetener, nutmeg, cinnamon etc… is nice but not necessary.

When I was a kid my grandmother always greased the griddle with a chunk of fresh apple or carrot dipped in melted bacon fat. That little step added freshness and flavor to a very basic pancake.

Good luck!

flour plays a role - T55/Euro550 recommended

baking powder does not stay "good" forever. some sites recommend replacing it every six months, I go more to a year. if the batter is not rising 'as expected' weak baking powder would be my first suspicion.

this has good tips:

TIA

Craig has made these for years. I have no idea where he got the recipe or if he was playing around and came up with it. They are barely thicker than crepes. I eat these with little to even no syrup. Craig uses syrup, but not as much as with thicker pancakes.

Sour Cream Pancakes

Ingredients
6 large eggs
12 Tbsp sour cream
12 Tbsp Bisquick
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt

Mix all liquid ingredients, plus sugar and salt in a bowl. Whisk in Bisquick, one Tbsp at a time until you have a thin batter.
Heat up the griddle and go to town. Be careful that they don't float off the griddle. :)

In another thread @dragnlaw mentioned making pancakes for the freezer.

I’m curious to know if any of you have TNT
tips and hints for refrigerating or freezing and thawing pancakes that you could share.

I’m not really interested in large batch or long term storage but a cook once eat twice plan would be worth considering.

My current plan is to cook once and eat twice as many as I should! ?

I let them cool, put wax paper or parchment between each slice, wrap meal portions in paper towel, then plastic wrap that. Each stack goes into a large zip bag and into freezer.

oops - freeze flat on tray first - then wrap as above.

separation papers keeps them from sticking together,
paper towels help to absorb excess moisture when defrosted,
portion sizes to prevent over eating, which I do anyhow.:pig:

I made pancakes earlier and idk if it's the recipe or the fact that I bought a brand-new box of baking soda, but I was finally satisfied with the result. It didn't cross my mind at all that my baking soda would be old. Sometimes I am truly oblivious. You learn something new every day. Thank you, all of you ! <3

There are two secrets to making your pancakes tender and fluffy.
1. Tender - Use buttermilk instead of regular milk or water.
2. Fluffy - Separate the egg(s), mix the yolks in with the batter ingredients, then fold the WHIPPED egg whites into the finished batter.

I should also mention that it helps to get your eggs to room temperature. So when you actually start thinking about making pancakes, take them out right then and there! LOL

SirLOB - I don't make cakes from scratch for that very reason. I hate separating and whipping and folding in.. I'll just use a cake mix and I'm happy with that. :cool:

I made pancakes earlier and idk if it's the recipe or the fact that I bought a brand-new box of baking soda, but I was finally satisfied with the result. It didn't cross my mind at all that my baking soda would be old. Sometimes I am truly oblivious. You learn something new every day. Thank you, all of you ! <3
just a note . . . baking powder and baking soda are not the same 'items'
the recipe may call for one or the another, sometimes both - but that would be unusual for pancakes (in my experience)

Back
Top Bottom