The 72 Ounce Steak Challenge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kathleen

Cupcake
This is oddly fascinating to watch at the Big Texan Steakhouse. Basically this is a webcam watching people who have accepted the 72 ounce steak challenge. The meal must be consumed within 1 hour and it includes shrimp cocktail, salad, baked potato, roll and butter, and a 72 ounce steak. If it is all eaten, the meal is free. All kinds of people take the challenge and you can observe it, cheer, or speculate here. You can also watch them cook the steaks while the timer counts down on the contestants!

The specific rules are as follows:

1. Entire meal must be completed in one hour. If any of the meal is not consumed (swallowed)…YOU LOSE!

2. Before the time starts, you will be allowed to cut into the steak, and take one bite. If the steak tastes good and is cooked to your satisfaction, we will start the time upon your acceptable approval. The time will not stop, and the contest is on, so make SURE before you say “yes.”

3. Once you have started you are not allowed to stand up, leave your table, or have anyone else TOUCH the meal.

4. You will be disqualified if anyone assists you in cutting, preparing or eating of your meal. This is YOUR contest.

5. You don’t have to eat the fat, but we will judge this.

6. Should you become ill, the contest is over… YOU LOSE! (Please use the container provided as necessary.)

7. You are required to pay the full amount up front; if you win we will refund 100%.

8.You must sit at a table that we assign.

9. If you do not win the steak challenge, you are welcome to take the leftovers with you.

10. No consumption or sharing of the leftovers is allowed in the restaurant once the contest is over.

11. If you fail to complete the challenge, you must pay the full $72 dollars.

As you watch this, think about all the children in this country that will be going to bed hungry tonight.

hungry.jpg

The only benefit I see to this pandemic is that surplus food is finally getting out to the people that really need it rather than into the landfills.

Well, I meant for this to be more entertainment rather than considering starving children in the world. Most people do not finish, and take leftovers with them. I would assume they would finish it later.

On another note, child hunger is something that concerns me very much. In fact, I got a food bank started at our school to help out with food insecure students. I assume that you have also done things as well!

Maybe I could have handled that challenge as a 17 year old, after a day of snowmobiling. I downed 2 lbs. of hot dogs, with three heaping bowls of baked beans, an a side of slaw on such an occasion, and wasn't feeling at all full. And I weighed less tan 100 lbs. at the time.

My FIL took on such a challenge at a Texan restaurant, and completed the challenge.

As stated, I'd be hard pressed to finish a 1 1/2 pound chunk of meat now.

Were I 17 again, and taking the challenge, first, I'd want a sharp knife, and then cut off a mouthful of meat. While I was chewing this, i'd cut the rest of the meat into bite sized pieces as efficiently as possible, to save time. Only sips of liquid would be take, and then only to help the meat go down.

The shrimp cocktail would be eaten next, as the starchy potatoes would spike blood sugar, making you feel full. Te spuds would be eaten last, with the salad. Though I love the flavor of cooked beef fat,
I would cut it away as it isn't required to be consumed. If I still had room in my belly for it, I'd eat it last, after the dinner rolls.
That would be my strategy.

seeeeeyal Chief Longwind of the North

That sounds like a good strategy, Chief. I think it is fun to watch people start off so optimistically. One person who finished was a teeny tiny gal who simply kept her pace. The football player looking guys just sat and stared at her. :)

Sorry, I cannot enjoy these excess food, "Hold my beer!", type of demonstrations. Whether it's how many hot dogs you can eat in 10 minutes, or how hot a chile pepper you can stand or how much food you can eat in an hour.

This is oddly fascinating to watch at the Big Texan Steakhouse. ... snipped ...

We tried to get here the last time we were in Amarillo,
but our hotel was on the other side of I-10
(who puts an Interstate Highway smack through the
middle of town? :glare:)
and it was raining cats & dogs that night, so we gave up.

My younger Sister and her husband, who's a long-haul
trucker, stopped here for dinner and they said it was
so much fun.

When we left the next morning, we did stop at
Cadillac Ranch, another place that has been on
my Travel Bucket List for many years.

Cadillac Ranch.jpg

Cadillac Ranch1.jpg

IMG_5162.jpg

IMG_5163_LI.jpg

THAT was a blast!
It was VERY windy, very cold and loads of mud,
I was determined!
DH sat in the car and said, "take your time,
I'll keep the car warm."

Did you spray paint the Aloha? I've heard of the Cadillac Ranch but honestly know nothing about it.

Off-beat things can be such fun!

I have never entered eating contests, just cooking contests
9which I was delighted to have good success with)' When I ate all those hot dogs, it was because I was very hungry after a long day of snowmobiling, they were hot, tasted great, amd just went so well with the baked beans. At that stage of my life, I burned threw fuels like an old steam engine train burned through coal. If I missed a meal, I was so hungry that I was shaking by the next one. That's just how my body worked. Evr eat 5 platters of fish? Yeh, that was me as a teen. That's about 25 fish that my cousin and I ate together (1970's, Wigwam Restaurant, Barbeau, Mi, all the perch you can eat for $1.25).

I don't condone gluttony. Andy is right about it. I enjoy competition though. I'd rather be cooking than eating.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Did you spray paint the Aloha? I've heard of the Cadillac Ranch but honestly know nothing about it.

Off-beat things can be such fun!

YUP! As well in the dirt there too ...
When we hit the town before this, I forget where, but, I got
a can of spray paint just so I could do this!
I did deposit my spent can in the trash bin at the gate leading in from the frontage road... and it's I-40 not I-10.... I get those mixed up :wacko:

Cadillac Ranch is one of those road side attractions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_Ranch
You can see it, kinda, from the highway.

Last edited:
I have to admit I have a morbid fascination with this camera. Seeing some of the people that step up to the plate is interesting.

Some of the people I have seen complete it have been surprising, and the ones you think are going to crush it then barely make a dent.

Back
Top Bottom