Thanksgiving - Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
Maybe this should have been put under the Thankful Thread but... it was the Canadian Thanksgiving last Monday - October 11th. Hope all the rest of the Canucks here had a wonderful weekend. Hope it included family, friends and great food!

Our dinner was amazing!
So sorry I didn't take pictures but was just too busy!
We had Roast Goose, Mushroom and Leek Bread Pudding, sheet pan Brussels Sprouts and Squash with Cranberries and Walnuts, Apple Pie and Pumpkin Pie.

I was not impressed with the Goose I had cooked at Christmas - think it was the stuffing and I worried too much about overcooking the legs and undercooking the breast. So I was determined to find a better recipe. And I did! Came across a blog Week end at the Cottage.com and that Roast Goose recipe was fantastic.

The Mushroom and Leek Bread Pudding from Ina Garten is wonderful. Have made this several times, usually cut in half, but this time the full recipe. Word of warning though, at one point she adds a whole Tablespoon of salt - don't!

The Brussels with Butternut squash was the perfect side - and everything was done in the oven, one at a time and was just great.

My granddaughter ate both legs and wanted more until she remembered the pie to come. LOL

I only have 2 geese left in the freezer from the farm - and will greatly miss them when gone. As I raised my own they were the right price, but now... sadly in town, no more. Average price of a 9 lb goose is about 60 to 80$. And that is not in our budget (but never say never, who knows!)

I know this is bit early but I would like to wish everyone "south of the 49th" a wonderful Thanksgiving coming soon in November. Lots of family and friends, wonderful food and good memories.

We went to visit the mummy-in-law and brother-in-law in Cornwall, ON. There was plenty of yummy food for the duration. Monday we had the traditional turkey with stuffing and gravy. It was accompanied by cranberry sauce, home pickled beets, roasted vegis (carrots, celery, and onion), Brussels sprouts, fingerling potatoes, and a Caesar salad. There was pie for dessert. I had lemon meringue (homemade). My m-i-l is the only one who likes pumpkin pie, so she bought one and there was also some store bought apple pie. The two men ate a whole lot more than us two ladies. It was all tasty. I did try a tiny, half teaspoon sized bite of the pumpkin pie, and nope, still don't like it.

Maybe this should have been put under the Thankful Thread but... it was the Canadian Thanksgiving last Monday - October 11th. Hope all the rest of the Canucks here had a wonderful weekend. Hope it included family, friends and great food!

And a trip to an outlet mall!:LOL:

Thanks Andy - still ticked at myself for not taking any pics.
I did most of the goose and bread pudding prep work the day before while my DIL made the pies. Then the day of she did all the cooking while I kept the kids in my apartment doing crafts because Dad was on midnights and sleeping. And Dad did the washing up - it was great! :LOL:

Kgirl, yup, you should be!:LOL: But when they know you they are great!

taxy - that's funny, only my DIL and I like pumpkin pie - so she made two, one for each LOL - love it! I was so stuffed after dinner I didn't actually have any. But I zipped upstairs the next morning and brought down 2 pieces for my breakfast. :pig: :angel:

I've never eaten Goose, but they do scare to pee-wad outta me!

Goose is amazing. I was given a corn fed goose for some work I did for a friend who raised them. I cooked it med. rare on a rack after scoring the skin to let fat run out (save that fat for frying potatoes!). The meat was rich and dark red, with a flavor more like red meat than fowl. It was delicious, with a crispy skin. I have since sprang for goose for a couple of holidays, to introduce it to extended family. Everyone loved it every time. Kgirl, if you get the opportunity, it's one of the best tasting birds, IMHO.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

To roast a goose;

Most people prick the skin at an angle to allow fat to render out, and not pierce the flesh. Use neck, liver, and giblets to make gravy. Cook veggies under the rack as the goose is cooking. Pour off excess pan fat before adding veggies (about 30 minutes into the roasting time. For perfect goose, remove the breasts from the carcass when a thermometer reads 135' F, and return the bird to the oven and cook until thickest part of the thighs reach 155' F. Heat some of that fat in a heavy skillet and sear te skin side only of the breasts until crisp, over medium-high heat.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Don't try to do a bread stuffing or dressing in the bird.

Preparing a goose is similar to a turkey duck (especiallly if frozen) it's a 3/4 day project. 2 days to defrost, prep and dry 3rd day, roast 4th day.

Day 3) What I did: dry inside and out with paper towel. (Cut off wing tips and save with other parts for stock, etc.) Rub interior with kosher salt and back pepper.
Chop and mix together 1 apple, 1 onion, 2 Tbsp ea thyme and sage. Stuff into the cavity.
Tie the legs together and give a generous sprinkle of salt on the outside of bird. Place on a stainless rack and refrigerate, uncovered for 24 hours.

Day 4) Remove goose from fridge 1 hour before roasting to give time to warm up to room temp. Oven to 325F and rack in lower 2/3 place.
With a sharp knife/skewer/kitchen fork pierce the skin on a angle all over (about every 1/4", a few cm) being careful not to pierce the meat itself. Transfer goose onto rack and into roasting pan.

Roast for 1 hour. I prepared the glaze in a small bowl & whisked it up.

After that first hour, take the roasting pan out, reduce the temperature to 275F.
Lift the goose out of the pan and drain the fat into a bowl to save. Return the goose to pan and into oven.
Start to baste every 20 minutes.

Roast another 2 hours or 'til thermometer registers 160F in breast.
Remove to cutting board, cover loosely with foil and allow to rest about 45 minutes before carving.
I carved it by removing drumsticks and thighs, removing each breast and slicing on the diagonal. Arrange on a platter. (It's ok to serve at room temp.)

Glaze:
1 Tbsp honey
12 cup orange juice
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom