Thai-influenced marinade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I made this marinade a couple of weeks ago for wings. It would also work nicely on chicken breast and I have used it on salmon.

I like sticky-hot wings, so this was just the ticket for the wings.

Ingredients

1/4 c honey
1/4 c maple syrup (I used cooking grade--not pancake syrup grade)
3 T apple cider vinegar
1-2 tsp cayenne powder
4 T fish sauce
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 finely chopped lime leaves (I used regular from my indoor/outdoor in the summer key lime tree)
1 tsp dark soy sauce
1 finely ground habernaro pepper (I have a bunch of dried ones I got in TX--they are HOT)
finely chopped frozen lemon grass, thawed (about 2 tsp)
zest of one lime
juice of 1/2 lime
1/4 c chopped fresh cilantro

I mixed all the ingredients in a large ziplock bag, I removed about 1/2 c of the marinade to use as dipping sauce and then added approx. 4 lb of prepped chicken wings (tips removed and saved for another use). I squished the bag to coat the wings and then placed it in the fridge overnight, turning it twice. I heated the grill to medium, oiled it and cooked the wings for about 4 minutes, turned them, basted them with marinade that was in the bag (no, I did not die from food poisoning, but if that makes you queasy, make another batch of marinade), flipped them every 4-5 minutes (total cooking time was about 28 minutes). I basted them until I ran out of marinade. Unfortunately, I have misplaced the digital camera since my grand tour of the Midwest...maybe I should finish unpacking...

If you were to use this for salmon, I would suggest putting the salmon in a baking dish and covering it with the marinade, turning once, and leaving it sit for at least 2 hours, adding a bit of lime juice as you are grilling it. I have used this recipe for salmon when I've planked it on cedar--it was very good.

To serve the wings I gave each person a dipping cup with marinade; a dipping cup with Greek yogurt to which I added grated lime zest and some chopped cilantro. I also had Frank's Hot Sauce on the table, but no one added that to the wings. Everyone thought they had the right amount of heat and stickiness.

Last edited:
What's the difference between cooking grade and pancake grade maple syrup?
Pancake syrup is made from the sap that runs earlier; the cooking grade isn't as sweet and tends to be darker in colour. The syrup I made with my dad in MN is definitely cooking syrup--it has a molasses top note. We thought maybe it was because it was so dry last summer. The first syrup I made here this year was much sweeter than the last batch. The last batch doesn't have as strong of a top note as the MN syrup, but it definitely is different than the first batch (which is reserved for waffles, ice cream topping...).

Pancake syrup is made from the sap that runs earlier; the cooking grade isn't as sweet and tends to be darker in colour. The syrup I made with my dad in MN is definitely cooking syrup--it has a molasses top note. We thought maybe it was because it was so dry last summer. The first syrup I made here this year was much sweeter than the last batch. The last batch doesn't have as strong of a top note as the MN syrup, but it definitely is different than the first batch (which is reserved for waffles, ice cream topping...).
I guess the stuff in the cans is pancake grade.

I guess the stuff in the cans is pancake grade.
At the price that it is sold, I sure hope so! But then, I think my dad went through 5 tanks of propane for his turkey fryer (not as big as the tanks for a BBQ). He boils all of his sap at once and keeps adding as it boils down...it took us FIVE DAYS to turn that sap into syrup.

Oh I would love to make my own maple syrup!! Ive always had a thing for maple and maple flavors and to know you can tap a tree to get it!

you can still get different grades of maple syrup on roadside stands made and (probably illegally) sold by locals in vermont.

you can still get different grades of maple syrup on roadside stands made and (probably illegally) sold by locals in vermont.
I don't know that they are illegal grades--you have grade AA, A, B. The grades are based on when the sap is collected during the season. We found that spring of 2012 produced a sap that had more of a molasses flavour. We attributed that to the drought of 2011.

i meant that the private production and unregulated or taxed sale along a roadside might be illegal.
not the grading.

Back
Top Bottom