Tell me about coconut milk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I never used it but see that it is a popular item in oriental food stores. How do you use it? Can it replace cows milk or a specialty item.

Yes, coconut milk can replace cow's milk in many cases. It works in many recipes. It works with breakfast cereal.

It's also good in many Indian and Thai dishes, where dairy milk or cream might curdle. It's good in desserts. It's very useful for people who are lactose intolerant and for people who keep kosher (no mixing dairy and meat). It is really nice in some tropical cocktails.

I always have several cans of coconut on hand. It is just oo useful to be without.

I also always have some coconut milk on hand to use in some Indian and Thai food. It is an essential ingredient in Thai curries, as well as many of their classic soups. And coconut, in general, is used in much of the cooking of southern India, but especially Keralan foods, and a lot of their dals and rices have coconut milk as one of the liquids used.

Sometimes, when I have some leftover, I put the rest in smoothies, other banana and/or pineapple ones.

Last edited:
I use it in Indian, Thai, Indonesian, Malay and Vietnamese cooking. And in Fusion cooking.
Also, sometimes when my chili's were hotter than expected, Coconut cream, milk, yoghurt comes to the rescue

I use it in Indian and Burmese food. I also got a coconut sorbet recipe from Goya which I think has coconut milk in it as well. If you use it in place of regular milk, the recipe will have an underlying coconut taste , so make sure that is what you're looking for.

When cooking vegan, coconut milk is the only thing that truly gives the food that creamy feeling. Doesnt replace dairy, but has the fat/ creaminess. Many vegan ice creams use it, but as mentioned above, it gives an underlying coconut flavor, so strawberry ice cream made with coconut milk as its base, tastes like strawberry - coconut ice cream.

I find that one specific brand, sold in 8.5oz drink boxes ( and larger boxes too) works best for me, cause at room temp, its a homogenous fluid, Not separated as a lot oof the other brands are.

I bought a can of coconut milk at least 2 years ago. Is it still good?
I think so. Before using it, I would give it a good shake and then open it; have a look; and give it a sniff. I have certainly used cans of coconut milk that were older than that, with no problems. I can't remember ever having coconut milk go off in the can, no matter how old they were.

I'm also one of those that would probably still use it after looking & smelling.
But: it's your choice. If you are a little worried, then throw and buy new.

Coconut milk is a good ingredient that you can use in many recipes. It's a great substitute for cow's milk in vegan or lactose-free recipes and adds a unique flavor to dishes.

Coconut milk can be made as shown in this link: https://willamettetransplant.com/how-to-make-homemade-coconut-milk-4-ways/

I keep frozen fresh coconut for when I want a little coconut milk. (we make our plant milks-blend w/water/flavors, strain or not) It's a rare occasion when I use coconut milk, just due to the saturated fat in coconut milk. We're very aware of limiting fats and types of fat in preventing health issues. (heart disease/metabolic syndrome/diabetes)

Many of the vegan, wfpb'ed, and vegetarian's recipes that limit fats or saturated fat have taken to using plainer tasting milk, like oat milk, and adding a few drops of a good quality coconut extract for the coconut flavor. (curries for instance) This works out well as an option.

So how much difference is there between Coconut Milk and Coconut Cream?
Can one be substituted for the other?
Specifically can one use Coconut Cream in place of Coconut Milk?
and pretty much the same question with the concentrated ones you can get. I've seen (and gotten) packages of paste and I think powder. But never used either.

So how much difference is there between Coconut Milk and Coconut Cream?
Can one be substituted for the other?
Specifically can one use Coconut Cream in place of Coconut Milk?
and pretty much the same question with the concentrated ones you can get. I've seen (and gotten) packages of paste and I think powder. But never used either.
They are basically the same stuff but coconut cream is more concentrated. For some applications I would dilute the coconut cream if I was substituting it for coconut milk. Here's a good explanation of various liquid coconut products:

You got
Coconut milk
Coconut cream and
Creamed coconut (last 2 are not the same).

First 2 cannot be substituted one on one. You can consider the milk as the more diluted version of the cream
(If you would make your own, cream would be the first runnings, milk the later ones).

I use creamed coconut if I don't want the liquid. But you could mix it with hot water and use like both coconut cream and milk, depending on concentration.

Creamed coconut is real handy, esp if you don't use coconut a lot. Just cut of a little piece and keep the remainder cool.
No need to use all in one go like a can.
I keep it in the fridge but I don't think that's really necessary

You got
Coconut milk
Coconut cream and
Creamed coconut (last 2 are not the same).

First 2 cannot be substituted one on one. You can consider the milk as the more diluted version of the cream
(If you would make your own, cream would be the first runnings, milk the later ones).

I use creamed coconut if I don't want the liquid. But you could mix it with hot water and use like both coconut cream and milk, depending on concentration.

Creamed coconut is real handy, esp if you don't use coconut a lot. Just cut of a little piece and keep the remainder cool.
No need to use all in one go like a can.
I keep it in the fridge but I don't think that's really necessary
That's the main reason I like to have creamed coconut around all the time. The other reason is that it doesn't have stabilizer added. Why are companies adding guar gum to coconut milk? It doesn't need it. I prefer to have my food without useless additives.

Coconut milk is a good ingredient that you can use in many recipes. It's a great substitute for cow's milk in vegan or lactose-free recipes and adds a unique flavor to dishes.
You can use it in smoothies, curries, soups, and even desserts. It's available in cans or cartons in most grocery stores and health food stores. I also make a sauce out of it and beetroot powder , it's very healthy and full of vitamins. You can even make it at home. Blend coconut flesh with water and strain, and you're good to go!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom