Technique question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I see that many pastry/sweets recipes call for butter or margarine ad to dough after the dough is already mixed. At the very end.
What is the purpose of it?

For puff pastry used in croissants and phyllo dough (and others), the butter is kept cold, and separates the layers of pastry dough. As the dough is baked, water from the butter turns to steam and separates the layers a bit. This creates the flaky layers. I suspect that refrigerated biscuits that come in a cardboard tube use the same technique, but with baking soda in the dough,

The butter in other pastries gives rich flavor, and again, the water in butter develops the crust, and texture of the pastry as well.
Hoe that helps.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

It's not puff pastry.
And it is not cheesecake either. But that's the Best Google translate could come up with. It really is a sweet roll with cheese filling simply seating on the top of it.
and I have seen other recipes with similar directions.
I actually just now tried to do it and butter really did not mix in.

For 10 cheesecakes, oven t 190 °
DOUGH
Opara
• 150 g milk
• 3 g dry fast-acting yeast
• 15 g sugar
• 75 g flour

• All dough
• 250 g flour
• 2 g salt
• 1 egg with 1
• 35 g sugar
• 50 g butter

1. Prepare the dough. Add sugar, flour and yeast to warm milk t 36-38 °, combine.
2. Cover with a towel and put in a warm place for 40-50 minutes.
3. Into the mixer bowl, add dough, salt, egg, sifted flour, knead with a hook nozzle for 3-5 minutes at medium speed.
4. Add softened butter, knead for another 5 minutes.
5. Transfer the dough to a bowl greased with vegetable oil, cover with a film / towel and put in a warm place for 1.5 hours.
6. Knead the matched dough and divide into 10 pieces, about 60 g each.
7. Cover with foil, let sit for 10 minutes.
8. Form into balls, place on a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
9. Allow the balls to separate for 30 minutes under the foil.
10. Grease the bottom of the glass with a diameter slightly smaller than the ball with vegetable oil or flour, press the center of the ball with them, forming a depression.
11. Grease the edges of future cheesecakes with yolk mixed with milk.
12. Put the filling into the groove from the bag.
13. Bake at t 190 ° until tender.

FILLING
• Curd 400 g.
• Sugar 2 tbsp. l.
• Sour cream 2 tbsp.
• Yolk of 1 egg
• Vanilla
• Orange zest

1. Mix all ingredients and combine with a spatula.
2. Place the filling in a bag with the large open star attachment.
3. Spiral the filling onto the dough that has come up.

Charlie, it sounds like a recipe for an Eastern European pastry called "kolach". While I haven't tried this recipe, any other recipe I've tried from this website has worked just fine: Authentic Czech Kolaches Recipe

I've also used a couple of recipes from Tory's website that have worked great. Maybe you would like her Kolache recipe better: Kolache Recipe - Make Traditional Czech Kolaches At Home

As far as getting the butter to mix in better, you might want to reverse the order you blend the ingredients together (steps 3 and 3 under "All dough"). Most recipes call for creaming softened butter and sugar, then adding the egg(s), then milk, and then dry ingredients. The two recipe links I posted above are closer to that order than adding the butter into the mixed dry ingredients.

I've not made kolaches - yet. Just reading over these recipes has my mouth remembering the taste of them from my youth, though. Good luck getting your recipe fixed.

You see but that’s the thing. The butter was my mine question. It makes perfect sense, to me, to add butter in the beginning instead of the end. Because when I tried to mix butter at the end it never got mixed in.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom