Teaspoon ingredients

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a number of Shoyu dishes, K-Girl, but I didn't know what they were called. I got them for $2 each at World Market to use as teaspoon rests for my daily cuppa, but they do come in handy for small measures of ingredients. They're pretty, too.

You need a method of setting up a mise en place... As I measure each, I move the container or whatever to a different area of the counter. That way, I know what I have added and what I haven't, without the need for a bunch of little dishes...
That's how I do it, GG. Sometimes I use individual small bowls, sometimes arranged on a plate, but when baking bread I start at "12 o'clock" and arrange the add-ins to flour along the top of the pile of flour in my bowl. That way I know I've added all the items - or at least the right number of ingredients, hoping they're the right ones. :ermm:

If you are going to add your dry spices all at the same time, then there is no reason to separate them. Well, unless you are like me, and don't remember what you did ten seconds ago. For me, the best thing about Mise en Place is that it makes up for my short attention span.

CD
Ah, someone after my own cooking heart. I hear ya, cd!

Right now while trying to learn to balance on one leg, I do need them. There is a counter right next to my cabinet where all my food stuff is placed. Using paper plates for me are probably too flimsy and I can almost be sure that while I am trying to hold onto the counter edge with one hand and pick up a paper plate with the other, something is going to end up on the floor. And I don't want it to be me. Been there, done that. Do not care to repeat it.

I have already started my training of tolerating my artificial leg. And let me tell you it is hard, painful work. Just getting old is hard work.

The method right now that I am finding a help, is to tape the recipe to the inside of the door. I remove the ingredients as listed in the order of the recipe.

My next project is to make Chinese Egg Rolls. I have a Fry Daddy and a stool that I can sit on while working with the ingredients at the counter and then the stove. This is my first major cooking attempt since I lost my leg. I have made stews and soups. But for me those are easy. I do sit at the table to do any dicing and slicing. But the list for the Egg Rolls is somewhat long. So if I have the bowls and line them up as called for in the recipe, I should have the least amount of difficulty.

I do promise that I will have Pirate take a picture of them and show you my efforts. I still haven't learned how to use my camera on my phone.

Addie, why in the world would you choose deep frying to test your balance? That seems to be a recipe for disaster. :huh:

I won't be standing for cooking the egg rolls. I will be sitting on the high stool. The seat is exactly butt high for me to slide onto the seat. I use it all the time when doing the dishes and have made French Fries, Fried Chicken, etc. in the Fry Daddy. Balancing on one leg is for when I have to get the needed items out of the cabinet. I have to hold onto the counter top with one hand while reaching into the cabinet and searching for and moving items around. I could ask Pirate to help me, but this is "my" project and part of learning to be independent again.

Getting all the ingredients out of the cabinet, is the hard part. It is easier to use the Fry Daddy for me, than to sit in front of the stove and reaching over the electric burners to stir. My biggest challenge to date is trying to remove an item from the oven. I have had to turn the rack around so that the upturned back of the rack is in front. If I can't get a good grasp on the edge of the rack, there is an excellent chance of everything landing on the floor or me. I still haven't conquered that chore. But I only do it when Pirate is nearby to help if needed.

I am hell bent and determined to regain my independence again. But safely.

I have used tiny bowls for years and find, as I age, I am less likely to mess up a recipe when I use them.

I've always known them to be called "pinch" bowls.

Oh how I know that feeling of messing up.

Thanks for the new name of the bowls. I can never remember the French name. I took Latin in school, not French. Pinch Bowls it is from here on in.

Another use I have for these small containers is when I'm making duplicates of the same recipe, such as when I make 5 gingersnap recipes at Christmas. I'll line up 5 of the cups on the counter, then measure out all of one the ingredients at once, then put that container away, then the next ingredient, and so on, until the salt, soda, and all of the spices have been measured out. This way, I don't have to pull out, and open up and close all of those containers every time I repeat the recipe. Not something I do very often, besides for all those Christmas cookies, but it saves a lot of time!

Last edited:
Another use I have for these small containers is when I'm making duplicates of the same recipe, such as when I make 5 gingersnap recipes at Christmas. I'll line up 5 of the cups on the counter, then measure out all of one the ingredients at once, then put that container away, then the next ingredient, and so on, until the salt, soda, and all of the spices have been measured out. This way, I don't have to pull out, and open up and close all of those containers every time I repeat the recipe. Not something I do very often, besides for all those Christmas cookies, but it saves a lot of time!

Aha! Thanks for that tip. I always make at least three Christmas Wreath Cakes every year.

You were so right Ross. This thread has turned into so much more than I ever expected it to. Tons of information for me to absorb. I love learning new stuff.

What was I thinking Addie? Once again you are right. Deep frying is an excellent idea for you.

As when I have made the FF and chicken using the Fry Daddy, Pirate in never more than 3-5 feet away from me should I get into trouble. I aced those chore cooking lessons and I have enough faith and determination in myself to know I will succeed. All I have to do is go slow and not place more than two egg rolls into the pot at a time.

Also I will be frying only six all totaled. The rest will go into the freezer for another meal or snack. So I will be only frying six and yet rolling all the wrappers or as long as the filling lasts. Should I have leftover wrappers, I can also freeze them or Pirate can cut them up and fry them as chips for snacks.

Last edited:
Another use I have for these small containers is when I'm making duplicates of the same recipe, such as when I make 5 gingersnap recipes at Christmas. I'll line up 5 of the cups on the counter, then measure out all of one the ingredients at once, then put that container away, then the next ingredient, and so on, until the salt, soda, and all of the spices have been measured out...
I use bigger storage containers, about two and a half cups size, and mix all of my dry ingredients into each container. If I'm making a batch of pancakes, I'll measure out three or four batches and stock the pantry with my own ready-to-use pancake mix. Same with scones. If you make something often enough, or you know you'll be making more of the same thing you're currently working on, no sense to not make use of a few more minutes to save even way more tie next time around.

We are cool. I got a bit miffed, but I got over it within maybe ten minutes. Probably closer to five.

I really love to cook, but if I don't do mise en place to the extreme, I will ruin a lot of groceries. If you were to visit my kitchen, you would probably wonder why I have so many prep bowls... and so many cutting boards... and so many tongs.

This quote from Hunter S. Thompson just popped up in my head...

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Cooking is like that, to me.

CD

I have used tiny bowls for years and find, as I age, I am less likely to mess up a recipe when I use them.

I've always known them to be called "pinch" bowls.

I am a firm believer in mise en place. I have one cupboard dedicated mostly to that process. Everything from measuring cups to prep bowls - even a set of funnels and a half dozen ramekins. This is my prep cupboard:

i-Qg7gcrD-M.jpg

I have a number of Shoyu dishes, K-Girl, but I didn't know what they were called. I got them for $2 each at World Market to use as teaspoon rests for my daily cuppa, but they do come in handy for small measures of ingredients. They're pretty, too.

CG, I sure would love to see a photo of your Shoyu (Soy Sauce) Dishes, I don't think I ever noticed them at World Market before, but I will look the next time I go in there. I love all of mine and have been looking for more ceramic ones.
Also, CG, do you use them for Shoyu?

Back
Top Bottom