Tapioca pudding at its best!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
Tapioca pudding has been one of my favorite desserts since I was a child.

Have tried numerous recipes for it and they all fell short. That is...until yesterday.

Holy tapioca pudding! I found the golden ring.

Check this out. You won't be disappointed.

On my laptop, the word this was not highlighted, italicized. I did click on it after reading subsequent posts ans it took me to the link. Thanks everyone.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

When I was a little kid my grandmother used to make this orange flavored tapioca pudding. It was more of an orange cream as I remember it today and quite popular with my family.

I mention this for anyone wanting to try this flavor treat.

I just love Tapioca. So much that I figured how to make a full box at a time. The measurements are really the same as on the box but for the whole box, not the serving that is on the box which is a small amount.

I use the Kraft instant tapioca and make a box at a time. Takes a big bowl. It works out that one box of Tapioca takes 2 cups of sugar, 1 full gallon of milk, and 6 eggs (I add an extra egg to make it 7) plus the box of Tapioca. Then you stir that (but not too much or it will come out foamy). I then put it in the microwave on high, or number 10, (which works just as well as on the stove, I've tried both several times, in the microwave the bottom won't burn). I set the time on the microwave for 80 minutes, and every 5 minutes I give it a good stir, again not too much, try not to whip it or scramble it, it will ruin it. As it gets real hot, watch for the first sign of boiling, in the microwave it can looks like a wave is forming on top, you know it's done. Be very careful not to cook past that stage. Then when I am done I add a whole LARGE bottle of pure McCormick's vanilla (about 4 oz) and stir that in well. If I can afford it, I add 6 oz instead of the 4. Sometimes I will also add a few tablespoons of pure almond flavor, which gives it a unique flavor, but more often than not just the vanilla.

Put the large bowl in the refrigerator and leave it overnight. Don't cover it. In the morning you have a huge bowl. It will have a little more firm layer on top. Then I take a spoon and kind of jab at it until it's mixed, not too much. If it's come out right, it is a delicious gooey texture. Yum.

I tried the same thing with Splenda, and it came out very foamy instead of sticky (which is how I like it). I assume the syrup that comes from the melted sugar plays a part in it, the pudding with splenda was not a success. I am trying to find a sweetener that will cookn the same texture as sugar. Someone on another thread here recommended Erythritol...it keeps the same texture as sugar when cooking, but I also heard it gives you the runs. Still, I purchased a bag and will try it next time.

Tapioca pudding has been one of my favorite desserts since I was a child.

Have tried numerous recipes for it and they all fell short. That is...until yesterday.

Holy tapioca pudding! I found the golden ring.

Check this out. You won't be disappointed.

Does it have a sticky gooey kind of texture? That's what I love.

Back
Top Bottom