Sweet & Hot Country Style Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Chief's Hot & Spicy Braised Country Style Ribs

Another Recipe for everyone: It's bbq season once again. This recipe for country style ribs can be done over charcoal, or in the oven. Of course, I prefer cooking over charcoal. It gives that smoky flavor that highlights the meat.

The country style ribs aren't really ribs at all, but are cut from the shoulder. They are meaty, with just the right amount of fat to keep them juicy, and tender. I enjoy them braised in their own juices, with a wet rub to add flavor, or cooked on the Webber over a divided bed of charcoal, with a drip pan under te ribs, and mopped with a flavorful liquid. Here's the recipe for my wet rub/mop. In any case, the maple, and chili powder work together to make a very tasty rub/glaze for these succulent ribs.

Tools: : mixing bowl, 9X 12 baking pan, large spoon (tablespoon), heavy-duty aluminum foil

Wet Rub Ingredients:
2 tbs. brown sugar
1 tbs. Hot chili powder
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
½ tsp. Salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tbs. Maple syrup
1.4 tsp. Granulated garlic powder
2 tbs. Water
Whisk together and let sit for 5 minutes.

Ribs:
3 large country style pork ribs
1 batch wet rub

To braise in the oven, Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
Place a two foot sheet of foil into your baking pan, pressing down the sides. . Rub the wet rub all over the ribs. Place each one into the pan. Place another sheet of foil om top. Fold the foil ends together, and crimp to seal. Press the sides together and crimp to seal. Place into the oven and set timer for 4 hours.

When the timer sounds, remover the ribs from the oven, carefully open the foil, as you will still be using it. Turn off the oven.
Remove the ribs from the pan and onto a clean plate. Pour the juices from the foil into a saucepan. Cook juices to reduce by half. Brush onto the ribs. Place the ribs back into the foil-lined pan, reseal, and put back into the oven to stay hot.
Add 1 cup of water, and a half cup of Orzo, or you favorite pasta shape into the saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 to 12 minutes, or al dente.
Pour pan juices over the pasta. Serve with the ribs, a good slaw, and baked beans. Yum!

To cook over charcoal, lay down two beds of charcoal, opposite each other, with a disposable aluminum loaf pan between them. Remove the loaf pan while igniting the charcoal. When the coals are covered in a thin layer of ash, place the drip pan between the charcoal piles, and fill half way with chicken broth. Rub ribs with mop sauce. Place ribs directly over the drip pan. Cover with the lid, setting all vents to the half open position. Apply mop every twenty minutes. Cook for 2 hours. Remove the ribs to a platter. Pour liquid from the drip pan into a pot over medium heat. reduce by half. Glaze ribs with the reduced sauce.

For added flavor, you could put a good smoking wood on top of the coals. White oak, maple, birch, apple, fruit woods, and alder all make great smoking woods. Make sure they are dry before placing on the charcoal. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Can I cook these in the oven then under broiler or pressure cooker then under broiler?

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]S[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ometimes technology helps. Wrapping the ribs in foil is an improvement on a classic French cooking method whose spelling I don’t recall, but it translates into ‘in parchment paper’. It becomes steamed ribs, and the steam keeps them moist.[/FONT]
“[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]The Joyce Chen Cookbook” offers another, faster, easier, way to do the same thing-- pour ½” of boiling water in the bottom of the oven broiler pan. Then 50 min. @ 350 degrees, dump the water, and 15 min @ 450 to crisp the ribs. [/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]S[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ometimes technology helps. Wrapping the ribs in foil is an improvement on a classic French cooking method whose spelling I don’t recall, but it translates into ‘in parchment paper’. It becomes steamed ribs, and the steam keeps them moist.[/FONT]
It's called "en croute," and the Chief's recipe does that.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Wrapping the ribs in foil is an improvement on a classic French cooking method whose spelling I don’t recall, but it translates into ‘in parchment paper’. It becomes steamed ribs, and the steam keeps them moist.
“The Joyce Chen Cookbook” offers another, faster, easier, way to do the same thing-- pour ½” of boiling water in the bottom of the oven broiler pan. Then 50 min. @ 350 degrees, dump the water, and 15 min @ 450 to crisp the ribs.
Wrapping the ribs in foil is not an improvement; it´s simply a different technique.
The French technique is called " en papillotte". Given your passion for France, I´m surprised you couldn´t remember that one!
The Joyce Chen Cookbook was published in 1962 and I doubt could provide a more modern, effective way of cooking ribs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom