Super Ultra THIN crispy pizza crust?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So just reheated a piece of pizza for my "lunch" (we usually don't even have breakfast until after noon) and it came out crisp. I reheated at 450 for about 10 minutes. I think I just didn't bake my pizza at a high enough temp. Probably should have put it on the bottom rack, too. Live and learn I guess. Good thing is that when I made the dough I made enough for two pizzas and froze half of it so I can give this another whirl in a week or two.

Edited to add that I am going to look at some pizza ovens when they go on sale. I think that would solve my problem! Also wanted to note that I have 2 pizza stones, but haven't had much success with those, really. I used a metal pizza pan with holes in the bottom for the one I baked Saturday night.
We reheat delivery pizza on our electric skillet. Set it to about 350°F and put the lid on it. After 10 the crust is crispier than when the pizza was originally served. DH heats his for 15 minutes, but I find that the sauce gets hotter than I like when it goes longer than 10 minutes.

A pizza oven does make the process quicker...I have 2 of them. Ask me about them, if you like.

That said, it really is all about the flour and the temperature. And the hydration too. Do you/are your comfortable with throwing your pizza? If not, learn...it is intimidating, but really not hard. Although, there is an episode of "The Pizza Show" where the guy invented something that can help with super thin, super crispy pizza and no throwing needed. I'll find the Episode number if you want?
Yes please!

Yes please!
I'm working my way thru my recordings! I've not forgotten you! I've not found the episode that I think you'll enjoy....but, in the meantime, "The Pizza Show," Season 2 Episode 10 might give you some direction on the "kind" of pizza recipes to look into.

I'm working my way thru my recordings! I've not forgotten you! I've not found the episode that I think you'll enjoy....but, in the meantime, "The Pizza Show," Season 2 Episode 10 might give you some direction on the "kind" of pizza recipes to look into.
I so appreciate you taking the time to do this!

@Jusa - something to consider for that super crispy pizza - From ANOTHER Season 2 Episode 10...how they have 2 shows with the same numbers, I do not know. The above mentioned S2 E10 was called "When in Rome, Eat Pizza"....today, I watched S2 E10 called "Pizza in the Bay Area"...and one place bakes the pizza and then finishes it on the flat top to get super crispy.

So, at home, one might bake and then finish it on a griddle?

WOO HOO!! I found it!! The episode I've been searching for is called, "Special Slice". It may, or may not be Season 1 Episode 5...pay more attention to the name that the numbers!

Bar-Style Pizza. I think that might be what you are hankering for in pizza. Specifically, New Jersey Bar-Style Pizza. First there's Gary, owner of the Star Tavern. He created a pan to help him make that super thin, super crispy crust. It starts with a Deep Dish Chicago Pizza Tray, and then he "takes it to the machine shop" and the cut off about 60% of the side of the pan. Then, they use that. They place the crust on it and build the pizza. He says it is too thin to just launch into the pizza oven. Part way through, when the crust has cooked a bit, they remove the tray and let it finish cooking.

Then, in the next segment, Frank (host) goes to Kinchley's Tavern. They also make New Jersey Bar-Style Pizza and claim to be the original. They use pizza screens. I have a couple. You can get them at a Restaurant Supply store. I've never used them, but purchased them, thinking, if I cannot learn to launch a pizza, I'll use the screen. Well, now I see a real purpose for them. Make that super thin pizza! They do not remove them from the screen, just let them cook on it, in the pizza oven and then take them out and put them on a serving tray to cut and serve. I'm seriously going to try this!! Game changer. Although, I'll still make Neapolitan pizza...but Bar-Style could be fun.

I'm not sure where one might stream The Pizza Show, but I know it is out there. I have DishTV and just tell it to record all episodes, including repeats, etc.

What cha think?

P.S. Before you think about needing/getting/buying a pizza oven, I think either one of the above might get you where you want to be with your home oven and a good pizza stone. Even a not-so-good pizza stone to start with. Use the oven at a very high temp, preheat that stone and then add the pizza. It may take some experimenting to get it where you want it...but, that's life, no?

This is a great pizza dough recipe that I've prepared many many times.
The recipe's author recommends letting it rise a couple of times, but I've successfully made it as soon as the dough doubles in size. I believe she suggests multiple rises for better flour fermentation or something similar, but I've followed both the video instructions and made it immediately after the first rise without noticing any significant difference. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom