Super Bowl 2022 Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
Is anyone planning their Super Bowl menu yet?

I've been gathering a few ideas for something new this year. I will be making my usual broiled Buffalo wings, and my mango salsa to go with some Calidad brand corn tortilla chips (our fave).

But for something new, I'm going to replace the loaded nachos with a dish that I got inspiration from watching an episode of The Kitchen.

I'm going to make 2 casseroles utiling King's Hawaiian rolls, stuffing one with the ingredients for a Cuban sandwich, and the other with the ingredients for a Balboa sandwich.

Both are assembled in casserole dishes, buttered, covered, and baked until warmed through and the cheese is gooey. Using a brick of dinner rolls that the top and bottom layers are still in tact works because serving portions are already delineated. All you have to do is use a spatula to cut out a square for serving.
I haven't made this yet, but I can approximate recipes if anyone's interested. Or a TNT one for the wings and salsa.

Anything interesting or new for your Super Bowl menu?

Lol, while I'm rooting for those cats, I've never liked Skyline chili. I like chili with all of the toppings - especially cheese and raw onions, and I like spaghetti, but not together. I think it's a textural thing.

Had not thought that far ahead.

I would imagine that we will be alone so, will thaw a package of wings and make a bean dish of some kind. Nothing too complicated.

I searched "Skyline chili" and found it to be a version of the "5 Way" Jeannie will order, occasionally, @ Steak N Shake. Not something I'm fond of but a guilty pleasure for her.

Ross

Yes, Skyline is a chain or restaurants that I believe originated the recipe.

There's 3 way: spaghetti, chili, and cheese.
Then, add onions or beans for 4 way, or both for 5 way.

I'm not a fan of bolognese like sauce on pasta, so chili on it is similar to me.

My mother used to make ground beef tomato sauce to go on pasta when I was a kid that was nasty and greasy.
It was literally the only thing that my mom made that I disliked.

Food. [emoji16]

Big Game Sunday isn't big in our house. It was fun when neighbors up the street used to have a party, but we rarely watched the game itself. Now it's more of just having the TV on and waiting for the commercials.

The best years were in the 1990s. Not because of the games or teams, but because one year I made it "Souper-bowl" Sunday in our house. Made four kinds of soup, the kids and I pulled out the sleeper sofa, popped up the head of the bed into the reclining position, and ate soup and watched the games. They enjoyed it so much we did that for a number of years. Fun times!

I honestly don't know what we will make but we are rooting for the Rams in this one.

The Bengals are my third most hated team in the AFCN.

Food. [emoji16]

Big Game Sunday isn't big in our house. It was fun when neighbors up the street used to have a party, but we rarely watched the game itself. Now it's more of just having the TV on and waiting for the commercials.

The best years were in the 1990s. Not because of the games or teams, but because one year I made it "Souper-bowl" Sunday in our house. Made four kinds of soup, the kids and I pulled out the sleeper sofa, popped up the head of the bed into the reclining position, and ate soup and watched the games. They enjoyed it so much we did that for a number of years. Fun times!

What kind of soups did you make?

My family had a soup-fest every winter around my parents anniversary before my dad passed. I'd always thought that soup was one of the easist things to make, but some of my siblings proved me wrong.

I often heard my mom lament how my brother's wife was a terrible cook, and how he spent his life eating hot dogs and frozen pizza. I used to wonder if his hands were broken or something...

My eldest sis and I competed each year for the best soup. My Manhattan clam chowder would just eek out a win some years; my sister's 'scarole and beans beat me other years. It was her Italian MIL's recipe, so I called it unfair. I was actually from Manhattan back then. The clams were from Jersey, though.

So what was in the pots, CG, and might you have recipes (besides the ham and beans)?

Geez bt, that was over two decades ago. I can hardly remember what soup I made last week! Mushroom barley with beef was probably one of them. Same goes for the ham and bean. Some sort of chicken soup, probably.

We did the Souper Bowl thing for a few years until they were old enough to drive. Then *woosh* they were off watching it at friends houses.

Is anyone planning their Super Bowl menu yet?

I've been gathering a few ideas for something new this year. I will be making my usual broiled Buffalo wings, and my mango salsa to go with some Calidad brand corn tortilla chips (our fave).

But for something new, I'm going to replace the loaded nachos with a dish that I got inspiration from watching an episode of The Kitchen.

I'm going to make 2 casseroles utilizing King's Hawaiian rolls, stuffing one with the ingredients for a Cuban sandwich, and the other with the ingredients for a Balboa sandwich.

Both are assembled in casserole dishes, buttered, covered, and baked until warmed through and the cheese is gooey. Using a brick of dinner rolls that the top and bottom layers are still in tact works because serving portions are already delineated. All you have to do is use a spatula to cut out a square for serving.
I haven't made this yet, but I can approximate recipes if anyone's interested. Or a TNT one for the wings and salsa.

Anything interesting or new for your Super Bowl menu?

Bucky, you are an adventurous fellow, like me. Try this chicken thigh recipe, or even use it for more wings. It was a huge hit at my home. My eldest daughter made sure I wrote the recipe creation down.

It looks like it would burn your mouth out, but instead, leaves you with a warm glow, hence the name - Smouldering Chicken. I hope you try and like it.

The technique given is for use with a kettle-style charcoal grill, but can easily be adapted to any covered grill or barbecue, gas, wood, or charcoal. Enjoy.

Sauce:
1/3 cup Sriracha brand Hot Sauce
2 tbs. Tabasco Pepper Sauce
1 tbs. good soy sauce
½ cup waiter

8 to 10 chicken thighs, with the skin removed

Mix the sauce ingredients together. Pour into a 1 gallon freezer bag & add the chicken pieces. Move everything around inside the bag until the chicken is well coated with the sauce. Press the air from the bag and place it in the refrigerator for two hours. Make your side dishes during this marinating time.

Fire up the grill with a solid bed of charcoal and let it go until the coals are glowing. Place the chicken on the grill, leaving space between the pieces. Cover and close all vents half way. Cook for 7 minutes. Remove the lid and turn over. Cover and cook for 7 additional minutes. Test with an instant read meat thermometer. Remove the chicken when the temperature reads 160 degrees.

Another favorite was Crab Rangoon's, so simple to make, simply cream cheese, with a touch of sugar, and either fake crab, or lump crab meat, and wonton skins. Simply wet the edges, and fold up the corners, pinching them together. Deep fry until golden. For additional flavor, add minced green onion, or chopped water chestnuts to the mix.

Make a 2nd batch of cream cheese filling, but this time, sweetened a bit more, and with vanilla and a bit of sour cream added. Fold in wonton skins, dry until golden, and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Cheesecake bites, what could be better?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Sounds good, Chief. Thank you. I will try it, although I've gone to the dark side and no longer have a real charcoal grill. Well, I have a little Smokey Joe, but I'd have to dig it out of the shed. I'm all gas now...

Actually, in the past 3 years or so, I've picked up 5 Weber Genesis grills that people had put out for trash pick up, and I've been able to strip and cannabalize them making 2 working grills out of them. I just had to buy new grill grates for them, and after a good power washing, and cleaning the valves, venturis, burners, and igniters, they work like new.

Anyway, I think my son would love your Smouldering Chicken. He just taught me a sauce that he invented in his school cafeteria for their bland chicken called "Boom Sauce".
It's mayo, Sriracha, Cristal Hot Sauce, and lemon juice.
His football and golf teams put it on everything.

Last edited:
Sounds good, Chief. Thank you. I will try it, although I've gone to the dark side and no longer have a real charcoal grill. Well, I have a little Smokey Joe, but I'd have to dig it out of the shed. I'm all gas now...

Actually, in the past 3 years or so, I've picked up 5 Weber Genesis grills that people had put out for trash pick up, and I've been able to strip and cannabalize them making 2 working grills out of them. I just had to buy new grill grates for them, and after a good power washing, and cleaning the valves, venturis, burners, and igniters, they work like new.

Anyway, I think my son would love your Smouldering Chicken. He just taught me a sauce that he invented in his school cafeteria for their bland chicken called "Boom Sauce".
It's mayo, Sriracha, Cristal Hot Sauce, and lemon juice.
His football and golf teams put it on everything.

If he likes really hot, or just wants to challenge his football buddies, there's always my Raging Bull Salsa:ohmy::LOL:. Just make sure he has a bottle of Tabasco Sauce to cool his mouth down with:ROFLMAO:.

Lol, I love how you name your food creations.

So, I just found put that I have a giant project from 2 AM to 7 AM tommorow, and I have to babysit the systems until 3 PM.

So, I won't be cooking. I am sad.

Not only for the obvious reason, but I just ordered a half tray of wings from our local deli that makes huge wings in your choice of 4 sauces, but the price went up from $35 last year to $49 this year!

Last edited:
Lol, I love how you name your food creations.

So, I just found put that I have a giant project from 2 AM to 7 AM tommorow, and I have to babysit the systems until 3 PM.

So, I won't be cooking. I am sad.

Not only for the obvious reason, but I just ordered a half tray of wings from our local deli that makes huge wings in your choice of 4 sauces, but the price went up from $35 last year to $49 this year!

Cook up that Smoldering Chicken, only with chicken thighs, bone in. Have some guacamole made up, and maybe some ranch dressing. Have tortilla chips, and salsa at the ready, maybe with some 7 layer dip. All these foods can be made today, and either eaten cold, or heated in the microwave. and don't forget a tray of your favorite olives, pickles, and Little Smokies, sliced salamis, and maybe some grape tomatoes. Sounds like perfect snacking food by which to watch the game.:yum:

Truthfully, though I enjoy watching a football game, hockey is more my game. I don't even know who is in the super bowl this year. When i do start watching a football game, it's exciting, and entertaining. I used to be a big Dolphins fan, back in the days of Mercury Morris, Jim Kick, and Larry Zonka. Before that, it was the Baltimore Colts, with Johnny Unitis. I always , watched the Rose Bowl game so as to honor the memory of my stepfather, who was one of my greatest heroes.

And those backyard, November games, in the sleet, rain, and mud, where everyone outweighed me by nearly 100 lbs. literally. I tackled by diving for the ankles, and wrapping my arms around both legs. I caught a few knees, or feet to the chin, but hey, I was a small, but tough kid:LOL:. Somehow, the bumps and bruises didn't matter:ohmy:. However, my Mom not letting me into the house until I changed out of the muddy clothes, cleaned up, and put on clean clothes in our unheated workshop, I didn't look forward to that part. It was sometimes around 20'F. But again, you do what you gotta do.

Bucky, you have the skills little brother. Yu can prepare today, and snack-feast tomorrow, hopefully with your family.

I found some Costco "party" wings in the freezer. So we will be having those, and I think we have some tots too.

My son, and DIL will be making jalapeno poppers, garlic wings, hot wings, and something wrapped in bacon. I've got chicken wings basting in my Smoldering Chicken marinade, but with a touch of Colgan's Mesquite flavored Liquid Smoke, as I don't have a charcoal grill to cook the on. Thighs would be better than wings, but hey, you use whatcha got. There will also be sweet. and dill pickles, Castelvetrano olives, black olives, celery, and carrot sticks, with multiple dips, thin sliced hard salami, stone crackers, and cheese. For my beverage, I'm stuck with almond milk. I found that I can enhance the flavor with a little Stevia In The Raw, and vanilla extract. I lime rice milk better, and whole cow's milk the best. I'm not allowed a lot of cheese, or milk due to their high phosphorous content. It will be a true Superbowl snacking meal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom