Substitution for Dry Sherry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deoconnell

Assistant Cook
I am making a recipe for Raspberry Trifle and realize that I am out of Dry Sherry... for a substitution I have dry vermouth, porto or cognac. Does anyone have a suggestion for a sub?

Last edited:
Skip the dry vermouth - go with the port or the cognac. However, if you use the cognac, cut back on the amount a bit, as it's a lot more powerful than dry sherry.

Rice wine or a dry white wine like Chardonnay are great substitutes for dry sherry, but you don't seem to have thoe either.

I'd either ask a neighbor to borrow a cup of booze, go to the store, or leave the wine out. Neither vermouth, port nor cognac can substitue for a dry sherry.

Last edited:
Might try mixing the porto and dry vermouth. Agree that the cognac is just too high test for this.

Sherry and Port are both fortified wines and very similar in flavor. Go with the Port by all means.

VegasDramaQueen said:
Sherry and Port are both fortified wines and very similar in flavor. Go with the Port by all means.
depends upon the Sherry. fino Sherry is nothing like port in flavor!

If you were cooking it, I'd say use flat Dr. Pepper. Flavor profile is very similar... but not sure how it would do in trifle!

Is your vermouth dry (white) or sweet (Red)? If sweet, I'd use that.

The port may work, but will result in a very different flavor profile. :) but it might even taste better!

Back
Top Bottom