Substitution for Condensed Cream Of Chicken Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is that good? Bad? I've never heard of a veloute. Where else would I use it?

It's neither. It is what it is: a creamy sauce made with flour, butter, chicken stock, a dairy product and seasonings.

A hundred years ago, most women spent most of their time preparing, serving and cleaning up from preparing food, then beginning preparation for the next meal.

Then canned food, including condensed cream soups, was invented and women could spend less time preparing food and more time doing other things. This became very popular in the middle of the last century in the United States. Since most of Europe was decimated during World Wars I and II, they didn't use these products as much.

Food companies hired (mostly) women to develop recipes using canned products, such as casseroles and other baked dishes. If you search for cream of chicken or mushroom or celery soup, you will find plenty of ways to use them.

Ah ...another spoon person! The "cream of " soups used to be time savers when my kids were little and I had a very demanding job. Retired now, with arthritis and fibromyalgia...so now those red and white cans save time and pain. My daughter and her five girls live with me..Nanas homemade pot pies are favorites as are some of my crockpot concoctions...and all need Campbell's.

Back
Top Bottom