Substituting panko breadcrumbs for dry breadcrumbs in a burger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turkeyman

Cook
I'm planning on trying these sour cream burgers for a bbq this weekend:

Sour Cream Burgers Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Can I use panko breadcrumbs instead of the dry breadcrumbs listed in the recipe? If so, what would be my ratio of dry breadcrumbs to panko for the substitution?

Also, has anyone tried a recipe like the one above? I'm trying it mainly out of curiosity and my fondness for sour cream and onion soup mix. I'll put a few twists of my own of course, like garlic and worcestershire sauce probably.

Thanks for the help =]

I believe panko will measure differently from regular dry breadcrumbs. As a result, you will get less bread in the recipe if you just use the same measure. I also don't think there is any particular benefit to using panko in this application as it's internal and the bread crumbs' job is to soak up moisture rather than to provide a crispy crust.

I think you have to play it by ear. Mix in a half cup of panko and see if the mixture is firm/dry enough to form into patties and hold together during cooking and flipping. If not, add more and try again.

Panko should work just fine but I'm not sure if they would match equally in that recipe. You will need to experiment, which you are planning to do anyway.

Panko is lighter than traditional bread crumbs, they maintain essential crispiness longer, and contain considerably less salt and calories. Absorbing far less grease than Western bread crumbs, they are indeed a somewhat healthier alternative.

Ahh thanks for the info. I got lucky by looking deeper into my pantry and finding regular breadcrumbs. I'll forego the panko this time around =].

As for the burger recipe...I think I'm going to add an egg in there to make sure they don't fall apart. Sure, it pretty much becomes a meatloaf at that point...but sometimes taste trumps categorization, right? =D

Wait, Gobble! Don't lay that egg just yet! Remember what they say about 'easy to add, hard to remove' - that's especially true with an egg.

I think the sour cream will be a sufficient binding agent.

I like to experiment making patties, too. All kinds, not just ground meat. On more than an occasion, I've made the mistake of adding an egg. The result - indeed, a loaf. A mixture which can only be saved by an oven.

If you add the egg, be sure to beat it in a separate bowl, and add to your mixture in measure at a time, conservatively until you have the right patty consistency.

Ooh, thanks for the tip spork. I'm no chef or anything -- will I know when the consistency is right? A lot of the reviews for that recipe say the burgers fell apart on the grill so I was just going to add a whole egg in there. I'll start with maybe a quarter or an eigth of an egg instead and then and move on up.

Last edited:
I find it amazing NO one
1. suggested put the panko in a blender, food processor or mini chopper to make fine crumbs.

2. Panko can be used as a liquid was being used. I use it all the time with no issues. It doesn't give a crispy crust and soaks up egg and milk/cream/half and half just fine.

As for the egg. Either use it or the sour cream but not both. Use milk with the egg. Its thinner than the sour cream.
But what do I know.

Well, you're about 6 years too late for the OP.

As an aside, I've always wondered how new members dig up some of these really old posts, especially when it's one like this where the new member isn't asking the same question but giving advice. Care to provide some insight?

As an aside, I've always wondered how new members dig up some of these really old posts, especially when it's one like this where the new member isn't asking the same question but giving advice. Care to provide some insight?
I'm guessing people come across an old post in a Google search and for some reason feel compelled to respond, without realizing that the post they're responding to is so old. But what do I know? ;)

Maybe the chef will be back, or maybe he'll be a one-post wonder. We'll see.

I'm guessing people come across an old post in a Google search and for some reason feel compelled to respond, without realizing that the post they're responding to is so old. But what do I know? ;)

I was able to figure out for myself if they were searching for a question. :rolleyes: The question was directed toward answering a question, rather than looking for an answer. Not many people look for an answer when they already know it.

You're right! I google searched this question and pulsing the panko never crossed my mind. Thanks for the person who posted.

Speaking of Panko, I tried adding some to my fish and chips fish fry batter. It didn't help make it any more authentic, the same with using panko crumbs to make authentic southern fried chicken more crispy. :neutral:

Last edited:

So I guess I'm about 4 months too late with this post.
I'm sure medtran meant to encourage and welcome a new member on his first post. Chef might be forgiven though, in my opinion, for misinterpreting the remark as mocking and derogatory.

I'm not proclaiming this as insight but my take is that Chef had a fair amount of cooking experience and probably he was experienced in other forums like this one, maybe on different subjects. When I visit or join a new forum I nearly always read back a long way on subjects that interest me. That usually ends up taking me to posts written years ago. I bet he felt entitled to participate in a conversation in which he could make a useful contribution.

Many forums strenuously encourage members to research past threads on a topic before beginning a new one. They are trying to avoid new threads on oft-repeated topics. Our search function is less user-friendly than we might hope. Probably why we don't use it much. The price we pay is a new thread on how to season cast iron every couple weeks.

Last edited:
We never use regular bread crumbs anymore.
Its hard to use up the very inexpensive Costco Panko crumbs. We just use them in place of regular for everything.
Always good. Even for meatloaf or meatballs.

I've been worrying for ages what Panko breadcrumbs are, and have felt inferior because I didn't know...and for a long time felt I couldn't do it in case my own good old breadcrumbs made with fresh bread, or stale bread or completely dried up white bread, and I didn't like to ask 'cos you're all experts, but this time I bit the bullet and read the thread, then read Google, then felt like a real idiot, not to mention a total fool! I've been doing something similar for years! Problem is, if I see anything that seems remotely Japanese or Chinese, I run away and hide, or spend days researching because 'I think I should know these things'. What an idiot! All that worry for nothing!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

We never use regular bread crumbs anymore.
Its hard to use up the very inexpensive Costco Panko crumbs. We just use them in place of regular for everything.
Always good. Even for meatloaf or meatballs.
I agree... I stopped making and using bread crumbs long ago...
If I'm going to bake something, like tonkatsu, instead of frying it, I brown the Panko in a bit of olive oil to crisp it up and give it proper coloring...

Ross

Back
Top Bottom