Substitute for fresh yeast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaryE

Cook
Hi everyone,

I have a recipe that calls for 2 oz fresh yeast. I can't find fresh yeast. Is it okay to substitute dry yeast for fresh? If it's okay, how much would I use?

Thanks!

-Mary

Yes, Mary, you can. For each "cake" of fresh yeast, use 2 1/4 teaspoons of the dry yeast, which is what's in a package of dry yeast. I gave you the measurement because I buy dry yeast by the pound and always measure it out.

Yes, Mary, you can. For each "cake" of fresh yeast, use 2 1/4 teaspoons of the dry yeast, which is what's in a package of dry yeast. I gave you the measurement because I buy dry yeast by the pound and always measure it out.

Is a "cake" of fresh yeast 1 oz?

Thanks again!

-Mary
BestInKitchen.com

I don't really know, Mary. It's been so many years since I bought/used cake yeast that I don't remember. However, I'm certain a cake of yeast weighs far less than an ounce. I went to the Fleischman's yeast site and they listed the weight of everything...except the cake yeast.

I'm guessing that a cake must be about 0.6 oz, because that would tie in to the 7,5 tsp that justplainbill suggested.

Sound reasonable?

Thanks!!

In my recipes that call for a cake of compressed yeast, I have always used either one package of dry or 2 1/4 teaspoons bulk. Never had any difficulty with the end product.

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I bake ALL the bread products we eat in our house and have been doing it for many, many years.

To look at it from a different direction, one packet of Active Dry Yeast is good for up to 6 cups of flour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom