Sturgeon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoReese

Cook
Just wanted to say that sturgeon is my favorite fish, just barely nudging out halibut.

Anyone else like sturgeon?

I haven't had sturgeon, though they farm it nearby, and I know people who fish & release it.
My favourite local white fish are sablefish (black cod) and ling cod.

Halibut's ok but sablefish is so good.

Be interested in tasting sablefish

I hear ling cod is quite good but never had an opportunity to taste either.

Lingcod isn't one of those 'fancy' fish, but I like it. Silky, good texture & flavour. It isn't really cod, either, I think it's greenling.

You're from Seattle? I went there last weekend, just before it got really hot. I love Seattle! We had some very good food, too.

One time had sturgeon in the bar/restaurant, I was 18, also I got extremely drunk that night. Kept gaging all nigh and all I could taste was the sturgeon. I have not touched the thing ever since. Horrible memories. But in all truth it is an awesome fish. Also awesomely expensive. That is if you even can get it.

Here is my favourite fish - Sablefish - cooked my favourite way; glazed with miso, mirin and shiaoxing wine, broiled in the toaster oven.

Silky, buttery, tender, delicious! It's caught in in the deep Pacific off the coast of BC.
sablefish.jpg

Attachments

• sablefish.jpg
    sablefish.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Totally not related to sturgeon, but fish related never the less. What sauce would you serve with fried/baked fish?

Totally not related to sturgeon, but fish related never the less. What sauce would you serve with fried/baked fish?
I like good ol' tartar sauce, for one: mayo, minced dill pickle, a bit of lemon juice, salt and pepper. I have a jar of puréed preserved lemon in the fridge - sometimes I add a smidge of that.

Remoulade is another good one. I've been using this recipe for a long time: https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94201

And in the process of looking for the remoulade recipe, I found this thread: https://www.discusscooking.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103989

Last edited:
I like a simple sauce for fish.

Lemon, white wine, butter, parsley, capers.
Or a veracruz style for cod & rockfish - tomatoes, bit of onion, capers again.
Shallots, ginger, mirin, bit of soy sauce, butter.

Many people like mayo/tarter sauces, though it's not my favourite.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom