Stocking up (and Sprouting 101)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like True Leaf Market Seed Co for lots of seeds, especially for Sprouts and Microgreens.

I grow mine as hydroponic gardens:

51866586664_2491260e15.jpg
Do you use the same seeds for microgreens as for full sized plants?

Do you use the same seeds for microgreens as for full sized plants?
I do not, but then, I'm not growing full size plants of things I use for microgreens. I'm betting they are "bred" for the specific use. In other words, they might not do as well as those meant for full size plants? But, that said, I'm just guessing!!!

I do not, but then, I'm not growing full size plants of things I use for microgreens. I'm betting they are "bred" for the specific use. In other words, they might not do as well as those meant for full size plants? But, that said, I'm just guessing!!!
So, are you buying seeds that are meant to be used for growing micro-greens? There really isn't much I want to grow as full sized plants.

Yes, Ma'am! That's what I do with the microgreens and sprouts seeds. If you check the link for True Leaf, you'll see that they have links for "Microgreens" and "Sprouts" and even kits! DH did grow Wheatgrass from one of their kits, but he found it stinky (thankfully, he grew it upstairs, where I rarely go), and a lot of trouble, to make a bit of Wheatgrass Juice. So that was that.

I do grow other things, as full-sized plants, also in my hydroponic gardens. I like to grow herbs for cooking...and lettuce for salads and sandwiches. I've grown peppers and tomatoes. But my favorite things to grow are flowers and ornamental plants for my kitchen. I enjoy watching them grow and I enjoy the added light in the dreary months!!!

51802485830_3b61df4864.jpg

51092812709_cf0f61ca8c.jpg

Yes, Ma'am! That's what I do with the microgreens and sprouts seeds. If you check the link for True Leaf, you'll see that they have links for "Microgreens" and "Sprouts" and even kits! DH did grow Wheatgrass from one of their kits, but he found it stinky (thankfully, he grew it upstairs, where I rarely go), and a lot of trouble, to make a bit of Wheatgrass Juice. So that was that.

I do grow other things, as full-sized plants, also in my hydroponic gardens. I like to grow herbs for cooking...and lettuce for salads and sandwiches. I've grown peppers and tomatoes. But my favorite things to grow are flowers and ornamental plants for my kitchen. I enjoy watching them grow and I enjoy the added light in the dreary months!!!

51802485830_3b61df4864.jpg

51092812709_cf0f61ca8c.jpg
Did you put a link for True Leaf? I can't find it. I didn't look before, because I usually try to avoid the hassle of cross border shopping.

How do you grow them in the mason jars or jars in general? I've seen where you can purchase special lids for starting microgreens but seem unsure how to use them.

The jar lids, I like the plastic ones, you could put screening or cheesecloth over the top, with a rubber band instead. In a quart jar, just put 3 T seeds, soak in fresh water overnight. In the morning, drain and rinse. Then rinse 2-3 times a day until they get as big as you want. If you want mostly pale sprouts, keep them shielded from sunlight. If you want them green, let them be near a window in the sun. This is mung beans. They still need a couple more days. Then they can go in the fridge.
orangesprouts-004.jpg

I actually bought those screen tops. I think I actually bought it as a sprouting kit. They recommended after rinsing, store the bottle upside down until the next watering ( it actually came with a rack to allow it to be placed upside down). The main issue I had was the smaller sprouts would latch on to the screen as they grew. It did work though. (Bliss, yours look a lot more successful than my jar sprouting).

This is now officially the sprouting thread while stocking up, lol.
Okay then there is one more method of sprouting. When I sprout 4-8 cups of white wheat, red wheat, or rye, I soak them in a bucket for 24 hours. Then drain and rinse. Then twice a day I add water, swish them around, drain. 3-4 days and they have little sprouts on them. Then I grind them up in a food processor into a meal the texture of oatmeal and use 2 cups in whole wheat bread and I freeze the rest of the meal for future baking.
1. sprout in a jar
2. sprout in a tray w/soil or substance
3. sprout in a pail
4. sprout under indoor lights
5. sprout in a hydroponic system
(anything else?)
orangesprouts-002.jpg

You know, I tried to and thought I did...but it didn't work? Sigh. Try this: TRUE LEAF LINK - I HOPE - let's see if it worked this time?
Yup, that link worked. (BTW, if you want to see if a link works, copy and paste it to a private browsing window or to a window in incognito mode.) That was interesting. I see they do ship to Canada, but there are customs and duties (and brokerage fees) and I just don't want to deal with that. But, now I have a better idea of what to look for, here in Canada.

I actually bought those screen tops. I think I actually bought it as a sprouting kit. They recommended after rinsing, store the bottle upside down until the next watering ( it actually came with a rack to allow it to be placed upside down). The main issue I had was the smaller sprouts would latch on to the screen as they grew. It did work though. (Bliss, yours look a lot more successful than my jar sprouting).
I just used to use pantyhose as a screen. ;)

I just used to use pantyhose as a screen. ;)
Next time I get a run in one of my pairs of panty hose, I'll be sure to repurpose them ;)

As far as stocking up, Being holiday time, they are. selling a lot of stuff in bulk (Including string beans). I'm sure they're no bargain, but the quality looks good, so Im taking the opportunity to buy them in bulk and can them.

When I lived in Philly, we'd hit the Italian market where a lot of produce was sold inexpensively in bulk. Then another place opened there called Produce Junction. Very inexpensive , but decent quality produce. At that time in my life I was doing more studying than anything else. We would always make a produce run every weekend. We would literally come back with a couple of boxes full of produce for like $15. I wasn't into preserving, canning dehydrating back then, but I'd make a lot of soups from the produce and freeze them. Produce shopping & cooking were therapeutic for me at that time ( and still is).

I

@larry_stewart the next time you get a run in your pantyhose. :ROFLMAO:

Our next two 99 cent bags: 2 zucchini, 5 slicer tomatoes, 5 green and yellow peppers, 2 small heads of iceburg lettuce, 3 6-oz containers of blackberries, a lime, and a small package of basil. Woo hoo! That will keep us in fresh produce until next week.

Yesterday's 99 cent produce bags.

Bag 1: 10 lbs of bananas. We still have a few pints of nice-cream, so we'll dehydrate these bananas. It will just take a little while to cut them all up onto trays and then to ignore them in the dehydrator.

Bags 2 and 3:
4 small zucchini
4 plastic boxes of different types of basil (I'll make some pesto of garlic/basil/walnut butter)
a plastic box of thyme, rosemary, and sage
a small head of iceberg lettuce
a small bag of 3 hearts of romaine lettuce
a package of veggies called 'stir fry mix' from fresh veggies with a ginger/garlic sauce included
a large carrot
And 3 unknown items, I'll have to look them up to figure out what they are. They look like potatoes but they are more squat with a stem. Maybe a root item or a fruit item. I'll get back to this soon. Probably a Jicama.
(recipe for baked fries with them, is to microwave them first to soften them, then just toss with herbs/spices and bake like potato fries.)

Today's 99 cent produce bags.
Bag 1: long cucumbers (we'll be eating a lot of cucumber salads)
Bag 2: thyme, lots of it (dehydrate and powder)
Bag 3: cranberries 6x12 oz (rinsed and cooking now)
Bag 4: limes, about 4 lbs of them (dehydrate)
Bag 5: small multicolored peppers (not hot ones) ~4 lbs (chopping and freezing)
Bag 6: apples, 4 lbs (eat and cook)
Bag 7: nopal cactus, large spiny pads, about 2.5 lbs (clean, sliced, precook and drain-stir fries, salads, stews)

Crazy produce bags for Friday, 99 cents each.
Six of them.
2.5 lbs of broccoli (raw for salads, cooked for greens)
10 lbs of apples (pink lady) (we'll be making a crustless pumpkin pie into a 9x13 dish, topping with sliced apples and cinnamon, lots of them.)
2 heads of cauliflower (trimmed cut rinsed with vinegar water for making cauliflower wings tomorrow or the next day)
3 12-oz packages of precut mixed greens for salads
1 lb fresh organic dark spinach leaves (for salads)
4 lbs of tomatoes(washed removed any bad ones, took out 6 that need to be added to soup or chili later, the rest for salads and sandwiches)

We're letting the produce bags decide what to cook or eat. We're thankful for it.

Yesterday 1 99 cent bag, of 5 eggplants.

Here is juggling sprouts, starting them every 5 days or so. Two split from 1 jar, to make space for them. These will go in the fridge to be used in 5 days or less, while the next jar is sprouting.
sproutssquash-003.jpg

https://aegeandelight.com/growing-broccoli-sprouts/ Sprouts have some nutrients that are much highers than the actual vegetable. I like broccoli sprouts for this reason.

Back
Top Bottom