Stirring Yogurt and Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petek

Cook
I recently bought a cookbook of Turkish recipes (The Turkish Cookbook by Musa Dagdeviren). While browsing through the book, I came across a recipe for Lamb and Garlic Stew. Two of the ingredients are 300 grams of strained Greek yogurt and 500 ml water. The instructions state "In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix the strained yogurt with 500 ml ... water and bring to a boil, stirring in one direction only." (Emphasis added)

What is the reason for stirring in one direction only? Perhaps to avoid scorching the mixture?

Sounds like someone is trying to create a stir.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
The only conceivable thing that might make sense is to avoid the yoghurt/water mixture from curdling.
However, I´ve mixed the two together hundreds of times in Indian cooking, and nothing has ever happened, UNLESS the water is too hot.

Most asian recipes I've read all say to stir in one direction only. Never have figured out why.

First time I saw it was for mixing uip the ingredients for pork and shrimp Won Tons.

Thanks for all the replies. Out of curiosity, I Googled the phrase stir in one direction. Found lots of possible answers about the meaning of this instruction. About half were similar to "old wives tale/folklore." Also mentioned were

⦁ Encourages thorough mixing
⦁ Discourages overmixing
⦁ Prevents breaking the structure of a sauce
⦁ Aligns the strands of a sauce
⦁ Prevents curdling
⦁ Prevents frothing
⦁ Creates a laminar flow instead of turbulent flow

(not all of which are consistent or meaningful).

LOL, thanks Petek. I like the first one. "Encourages thorough mixing."

I've even seen/heard them say it in videos, so along with the fact they are generally using chop sticks to do the stirring, it certainly makes sense to me!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom