Stiff starter turn darker color outside!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chueh

Senior Cook
My stiff starter smells fine, but it gets darker outside. When I broke it up to mix and feed, inside is the same normal wheat color.

What does darker outside on the stiff starter mean? or
What happens?

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Mine's always darker on the outside after it sits for a while. Just dried out and oxidized. Cover it, or mix it in. It's no problem.

Thanks summer57. I understand the oxidization, yet i cover it with plastic wrap. Even though it's not 100% free from oxidization, mine turns out like GREYISH??

Thank you.

One more question: the SMELL
My starter was mature with 100% hydration, and I made bread with it several times. Even though I wasn't consecutively feeding it, i refrigerated it and fed it before I baked bread.

Thus, I understand that my fairly new starter has not been well colonized yet and may take longer time to ripen after feeding.

When I took it out and fed it (still with 100% hydration), the smell remained the same (the mature aroma).

I turned this liquid starter into stiff one (been busy with work, so I read online articles about the advantages using stiff starter) and froze it.

That's when I noticed the outside is darker. When I fed it, outside got even darker. Thanks to both summer57 and HeyItsSara. I.m not worried about the color now. However, this stiff starter was mature, but why even after being fed 3 times these few days, it's still smelling as if it's totally brand new starter (the smell of more flour than yeasty for the first 5 days or so when making a new one)????

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom