Steak expert help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otuatail

Senior Cook
Hi. I love rump steak but recently I have had stakes when cooked medium to rare have a vinegar taste. I beeive this has to do with the storage and time it is stored. I prefere my rump steak to taste like rump steak and not vinegar flavoured.

Is ther a termonology I need to know in order to buy more. Thanks.

We like to dry-age steaks and roasts. Sprinkle it all over with salt and set it, uncovered, on a small sheet pan with a rack, so air can circulate all around it. Refrigerate for a few days; the salt will draw juices out of the meat and osmosis will draw the briny water back in. After that, the surface will dry out, which concentrates the meaty flavor.

I walk into a butchers shop in the united kingdom and ask for a steak. I do not expect to go home with a vinger flavoured steak. I have heard that butchers keep steaks and other meats in a fridge to remove blood and this is a long process. The result for me is a vinegar flavoured steak.

I walk into a butchers shop in the united kingdom and ask for a steak. I do not expect to go home with a vinger flavoured steak. I have heard that butchers keep steaks and other meats in a fridge to remove blood and this is a long process. The result for me is a vinegar flavoured steak.

Ask the butcher the same questions and comments you have made here.
There are other butchers you can go to, right?
I have been eating rare beef for many years and I can honestly say never has it tasted like vinegar.

Sometimes people soak meat in vinegar to remove the off taste of it going bad, or in a mistaken attempt to sanitize meat that’s going bad.

Find a different purveyor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom