Starting curry trees from seed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update:

Had 1 large malformed curry tree. Very lanky. More of a tree with few leaves, than a bush with a lot of leaves ( which I would prefer since the leaves are what I use for cooking).

%100 my fault as I didnt prune it properly from the start.

I tried 4 methods to propagate the plant from the original mother plant.

1) Germinating from its seeds
2) Stick cuttings, placing directly into moist soil
3) Root growing balls placed don scarred bark of a branch
4) Cutting the original tree down to around 1 foot and letting it regrow its branches

Because it was a lanky tree with branches, which did flower and produce seeds, I was able to try all of the above. Just had to do in a specific order, as the #4, being the most radical, had to be the last attempt .

I had 6 seed which I planted in potting soil. They tool so long to germinate, that I forgot about them and was pleasantly surprised when I saw that 4 out of 6 germinated.

At the same time, I scarred a few branches and put on the rotting balls ( stuffed with moistened sphagnum moss). As winter approached, removed the root balls to see if anything was happening, Zero root growth. Possibly I did it wrong, didnt give it enough time. Either way, complete failure.

Finally I chopped the tree down to about 1 foot. Leaving that last foot in its originally pot. All the cut up branches I either placed potting soil ( similar to what to would do with fig cuttings), and out of curiosity I put some of the smaller ones into the hydroponic sett up.

The sticks in the soil started to show signs of leave growth, but tall eventually dried up and died.

The ones in the hydroponics produced leaves and even flowers ( which surprised me). Never really grew in heights, and showed very few signs of root growth, but still looked alive (unhealthy, but alive ).

Now, like 6 + months later, the original stump is producing a bunch of leaves/ branches. The seeds, I forgot about them again , but 3 survived and are about 8 inches tall, and show a promising sign that they will develop into aa healthy ( and hope properly pruned) leafy plant. The two hydroponics plant I transplanted into soil and are alive (for now).

I was very concerned about radically cutting the original plant down to a stump, but that a one looked the healthiest probably cause of its well established root system.

First pic, with 3 potted plants up front, are the ones started from seed
Second pic, 2 potted twigs with leaves on top are the hydroponics cuttings
Third pic, is the stump shot from above.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 6.35.43 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 6.35.43 PM.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 6.35.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 6.35.28 PM.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 6.35.16 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-05-01 at 6.35.16 PM.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 20
Now that the weather is getting warmer outside, Ill soon be putting it in mother natures hands. Trying to keep plants like that indoors could be a challenge sometimes ( especially without good south facing windows and inadequate artificial lighting ). The summer months, with more tropical weather, should give these guys aa boost. I really need a greenhouse, although if I get one, my wife may never see me in the winter ( which may be a selling point lol )

In about a week and a half, it will be over 50 ° for good; after that, the curry tree will go out, and this week, the other 3 will go out. The bay and lime tree is a little more resistant to the cold.

I have healthy curry plant in my garden. The plant grows well in full to part sun, so it is better to grow it outdoors. However, it does not need full intense sun.

Use well-drained and slightly acidic soil. Add some compost, cow manure and river sand in the soil to make it fertile and draining.

Do not give strong fertilizer to young curry plant. In pots, apply fertilizer at the rim of the pot and if grown in the ground, fertilize at the canopy of the curry leaves plant.

Feed your curry plant every 3rd or 4th week with a liquid fertilizer for leafy growth.
Give 3 teaspoons of iron sulfate or 1 teaspoon of iron chelate every 4-5 weeks to keep the foliage healthy.

Update on my Curry plants.
- The most successful is the one (the main plant) which I cut down from about 4 feet to about 1 foot leaving only one sorry looking branch.
It now stands about 2 feet and is bushy as opposed to its former self which looked like tthe Charlie Brown Christmas tree. I mean this thing is full of leaves. Ive already harvested 3 or 4 times, and you wouldn't even know I took anything from it.

- the two surviving ones that were started from seed, are slowly growing, but look nice and healthy. Having learned from the main tree ( above), I will pay attention to pruning int properly from the start.

- only one surviving plants from the ones I propagated hydroponically. Not sure if its will make it.

larry Sounds like what happened with my plant, several years ago, when I had to cut it back so far, I wasn't sure if it would survive!

Problem was, I should have re-potted it at the end of the summer, and it was root-bound, and stressed, as a result. This makes these, and those other potted plants I grow, to scale insects, and it was almost overnight that almost every leaf was infested, on the underside. I did what I could with it (killed most of the insects with a mix of alcohol and orange oil), until it went outside, when I cut it way back, and re-potted it, and it took off! It's 12 or 13 years old now, and it needs another re-potting this year. Here it is, after the usual trimming back, to put back outside, and using many branches in the last couple of months.
Curry Tree, 7-20-22 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I pretty much gave up on those seed starts - they just didn't get past 6-8", for some reason. I'll try more of the rooting from stems.

Last edited:
I trim all those plants way back when I bring them in, for the off-season, then share a lot of those branches of leaves. They usually settle in with no problems, then start putting out new growth. I still try to keep them cut back, and if anything loses some leaves, it is the curry tree, but that's usually when I neglected them some, and they dried out a little, and I try not to do that.:rolleyes:

My thoughts exactly! The last time I got a number of them sprouted, but not grown past 2-3". I'll see if the different soil makes a difference, and the different light. I put it under the new LED light I got last year, dimmable, so I put it close, but lower - no need to have it high, as it wasn't spreading out to light trays. I'll see how they do - if they start growing quickly, I'll transplant them to maybe 4" pots. We'll see...

I got a lot more ripe berries this summer, early, probably due to the heat, which is probably why the plant got so huge! I have to trim it soon, to bring it in.

The plant grows well in full to part sun, so it is better to grow it outdoors. However, it does not need full intense sun.

Use well-drained and slightly acidic soil. Add some compost, cow manure and river sand in the soil to make it fertile and draining.

Do not give strong fertilizer to young curry plant. In pots, apply fertilizer at the rim of the pot and if grown in the ground, fertilize at the canopy of the curry leaves plant.

Feed your curry plant every 3rd or 4th week with a liquid fertilizer for leafy growth.
Give 3 teaspoons of iron sulfate or 1 teaspoon of iron chelate every 4-5 weeks to keep the foliage healthy.

Anna, I see that you live in New York. Do your trees live outside all year? Or do you bring them inside in winter?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom