Standard veg creamy sauce or casserole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giggler

Sous Chef
This time of year we have so many fresh veggies. I like them all steamed, etc.

But there is this little diner down the street that sort of Creams veggies.

They call it In Season Caserole, but my dear spose says, it's just veggies in cream soup!

I don't know, the sauce is not very thick, and don't think it has bread crumbs or anything.

Is there sort of a Generic Cream Sauce for in season veggies?

The flavor of the veg needs to shine through.

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

I suppose a basic white sauce (béchamel) could be used for that, but imo cream sauces often dull flavors. I prefer roasted, grilled or sautéed veggies. You really get the flavor when extra water evaporates as they cook and you can marinate them first or add fresh or dried herbs for more flavor.

I would saute/sweat young tender vegetables in 2 or 3 tablespoons of butter, finish them with a splash or two of heavy cream, season and serve.

This works great with sweet corn off the cob, spinach or chard, summer squash, etc...

When I make summer squash casserole, the butter blends with the liquid from the squash and creates a nice thin "sauce". This "sauce/liquid" is absorbed by the Ritz crackers in the dish and gives the vegis a somewhat creamy texture.:yum:

Basic white sauce but use less flour to thicken, add some grated nutmeg (fresh). When you serve it, add some lemon zest on top.

I would saute/sweat young tender vegetables in 2 or 3 tablespoons of butter, finish them with a splash or two of heavy cream, season and serve.

This works great with sweet corn off the cob, spinach or chard, summer squash, etc...

Try a tablespoon or two of mayo sometime instead of the cream. It's the only way I could get my kids to eat veggies, and I forgot all about it until now. :yum:

Try a tablespoon or two of mayo sometime instead of the cream. It's the only way I could get my kids to eat veggies, and I forgot all about it until now. :yum:

I have used a dollop of sour cream, a lump of cream cheese, a handful of grated cheese, never thought of mayonnaise, I will give it a try!

Thanks for the tip!

That sounds like it might be really good. I bet some mayo and some cream would be good too.

Back
Top Bottom