Squid Ink Risotto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
cost of ingredients: $2
cost of time and work: 20 minutes.

ME5YLUQ_o.jpg

Not sure I would make this for myself but I would certainly try someone else's effort. :rolleyes: looks fascinating.

What, approximately, was your ratio of ink and liquid?

Not sure I would make this for myself but I would certainly try someone else's effort. :rolleyes: looks fascinating.

What, approximately, was your ratio of ink and liquid?

I didn't count this, just pour enough according to feeling by experience. Tips is to pour a bit less than your feeling. With some stirring, squid ink spreads very well

Personally, have only just seen it being used here as an exotic specialty item in perhaps the last 10 years? Yes, growing in popularity more and more, but have not used/tried it myself. Usually with pasta.

First time I ever experienced Squid Ink was in a Barcelona market in the mid-50's. Uproarious laughter in the market when a vendor, preparing a squid for a customer, accidently hit the ink sack and covered himself. :ohmy: My father chuckled for days and I bet the vendor had to live with a teasing for a very long time. :LOL:
I believe my dad said that stuff was very sticky and not easily cleaned off.

Personally, have only just seen it being used here as an exotic specialty item in perhaps the last 10 years? Yes, growing in popularity more and more, but have not used/tried it myself. Usually with pasta.

First time I ever experienced Squid Ink was in a Barcelona market in the mid-50's. Uproarious laughter in the market when a vendor, preparing a squid for a customer, accidently hit the ink sack and covered himself. :ohmy: My father chuckled for days and I bet the vendor had to live with a teasing for a very long time. :LOL:
I believe my dad said that stuff was very sticky and not easily cleaned off.

mid-50s?? At that time there was still 30-40 years to go before I was born.

To put it simply, odor isn't strong, but flavor is so strong when you put it into your mouth

OK, I googled and see that most recipes call for about 1 tsp of ink.

Guess I'm gonna have to start checking out various markets for some ink.

LOL Wow! another on my to-do list! Gonna be a busy year coming up.

Growing up in Miami, you could buy tins of squid in their ink with some olive oil. We ate it right out of the tin on crackers.
My dad would make black rice with the same squid.
It was a Cuban thing down there. Next time I go, I'm gonna get some of those tins. Even if its just for old time sake.

yes, but it will take a lot longer to prepare, so I reduce to risotto only
Not really - here you can buy the squid rings and the shrimp already prepared for cooking, so all you have to do is incorporate them into the risotto. Still, maybe prepared squid rings aren´t available where you are and you have to clean the whole squid (which is, I agree, a whole lot of work).

Not really - here you can buy the squid rings and the shrimp already prepared for cooking, so all you have to do is incorporate them into the risotto. Still, maybe prepared squid rings aren´t available where you are and you have to clean the whole squid (which is, I agree, a whole lot of work).

nope, prepared and frozen squid rings and shrimp are available here but how to cook them and season them?

But trust me, this is good enough, without squid rings and shrimp

OK, I googled and see that most recipes call for about 1 tsp of ink.

Guess I'm gonna have to start checking out various markets for some ink.

LOL Wow! another on my to-do list! Gonna be a busy year coming up.

tsp = tea spoon? Yes, very little can spread so well

Back
Top Bottom