Squash season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll roast my butternut squash "boats" with maple syrup and a little Bourbon. Himself really likes them that way.

Super interesting. I've never heard of cooking it that way before :)

I'm surprised you can't find any Turban Squash. It has become quite popular here. I suspect most people first got them for decoration but eventually realized with were good eats.

As to how I like squash?
Roasted with butter and brown sugar is #1
Mashed also with butter and brown sugar #2
Into various soups #3

I've seen it a couple of times in the past, but never picked it up. Now that I'm looking for it, I can't find it. Isn't that the way it always goes? :glare:

Your 1, 2 & 3 are pretty much my 1, 2 & 3.

Another favorite squash of mine, that I can rarely ever find, is Patty Pan. But that's a summer squash. Maybe next season I'll try and grow some.

I only see Patty Pan sporadically. My one and only attempt to cook was a complete failure. For such small guys ... who'da thunk.

So don't really look for them! LOL

I only see Patty Pan sporadically. My one and only attempt to cook was a complete failure. For such small guys ... who'da thunk.

So don't really look for them! LOL

What did you try and do with it?

My favorite way to cook Patty Pan is cut each squash into slices and just dip them in egg wash and breading and fry them. So yummy!

Today at the farm market I picked up a pumpkin (just for decorative purposes in my kitchen) a couple butternut squash that I can't wait to eat and some apples.

I so love this time of year with the Fall fruits and vegetables.

Linda, it was so long ago, I don't really remember. I believe the instructions were to pan fry them.

I should have perhaps baked or microwaved first - then pan fry. The whole idea was to serve them whole on the plate.

Linda, it was so long ago, I don't really remember. I believe the instructions were to pan fry them.

I should have perhaps baked or microwaved first - then pan fry. The whole idea was to serve them whole on the plate.

Ahh, okay, gotcha. I've never tried serving them whole before. Didn't know you could do that just by pan-frying. I think if I were to serve them whole, I would bake them.

The attached pic is a plate of Patty Pan, sliced and fried, on a rare occasion I ran into some of the squash at a market.

Attachments

• 20190727_120236.jpg
    20190727_120236.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 87
Back
Top Bottom