Sprouted Wheat Flour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I found and bought a small bag of sprouted wheat flour today. I also found and bought a small bag of whole wheat flour.
I have been looking for something to make sourdough starter with.
I was also on the lookout for rye flour with no success.

My questions are as follows:

1) Can I make a starter with sprouted wheat flour?
2) Is sprouted wheat flour a good choice to use for my first starter. My own starter?

I am considering making two starters. One with sprouted whole wheat flour and one with whole wheat flour.
See which one does the best.

I am excited. And want to start a tradition.
Thanks in Advance for any suggestions or advice.

You can try it, but I don't think that I would waste the sprouted wheat flour on making the starter. When making starters, a lot is thrown out, while the flavor is getting developed. I think I'd wait and use it in the bread.

Have you used the sprouted wheat flour before? Sprouted wheat gives the bread a unique and delicious flavor. I have a recipe that I have made for years, that sprouts 1/4 c wheat berries, so it's not really the flour, but the flavor is delicious.

Last edited:
I just made a batch of sprouted bread right now; it's rising even as we speak!

Agreed about it being wasted with sour dough

Thanks.
Yes, I'm very familiar with the waste the accompanies a starter.
However, I have been trying a new less waste method. I ruined my test starter the other day by turning on the oven and forgot it was in there.

Here's my less waste method I think will work just fine.

Instead of wasting a cup of flour a day, I will only waste a 1/4 cup a day.
Day 1 will start with 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water. (I use a bit less)
Day 2 will use 1/4 cup flour and 1/4th cup of water.
I will feed this way until I get an active starter.
I will double feed on day 6 and 7 or as long as it takes.

I have found its very easy to start a starter if you have some starter on hand.
So if I get a very good bubbly cup or so, I can turn that into a larger amount for baking with three days or less notice.
I will waste 1/2 the amount of starter called for in most recipes for starter.

I think this will work. Also I can get sprouted wheat flour easily and I'm not to concerned about the waste or monetary loss.
My main concern is building a very good starter. It seems whole wheat and sprouted wheat are good choices for starter?
And is sprouted wheat any better that AP flour for making starter?

Oh.....I forgot the main reason.

I can add 1/4th cup of flour and 1/4th cup of water each day without discarding any starter. I can do this until I have enough to use.
Should work just fine?

Oh.....I forgot the main reason.

I can add 1/4th cup of flour and 1/4th cup of water each day without discarding any starter. I can do this until I have enough to use.
Should work just fine?
I would say follow the recommended process until you get comfortable with it. Then you can try variations.

There are lots of ways to use starter discard - you don't have to throw it away. I know you can use it to make pancakes, waffles and crackers; there may be other things as well. The King Arthur Flour website has recipes for these.

Thanks GG.
I am trying to waste less flour.
I guess my question should have been or was:

Does sprouted wheat flour provide any advantage when making a starter.
I have not been able to locate whole wheat or rye flour but found wheat and sprouted wheat.

Thanks GG.
I am trying to waste less flour.
I guess my question should have been or was:

Does sprouted wheat flour provide any advantage when making a starter.
I have not been able to locate whole wheat or rye flour but found wheat and sprouted wheat.
Most people use regular white flour for a starter. It works great. I don't see why a specialty flour would give better results. I think the advice you received above to use it when you make a dough would be the best way to go.

Most people use regular white flour for a starter. It works great. I don't see why a specialty flour would give better results. I think the advice you received above to use it when you make a dough would be the best way to go.

I actually got the recommendation Jack the baker (British) that you referred me to.
He recommended whole wheat and or Rye flour for the starter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q61EdnpxuY

That it was a superior medium for starter.
And yes, the starter I have worked on so far have been with plain white unbleached flour.
Since I am learning (I have learned a lot) I feel very comfortable using less flour.
The measure stays the same, its the amount of flour I use that will change. I will still discard and add equal parts flour and water.

I am already doing things a bit my way. Making it my own way if you will.
Thanks for all the help here and in with other cooking info. It is much appreciated!
Note: Had I not turned the oven on and ruined my starter, I would have a working starter in the fridge.

Last edited:
I'd suggest using whole wheat to start then shifting to white flour.

Also go by weight, not volume if you can. Waste can be minimal. For instance while I was getting going, I was using 30g starter, 30g flour and 30g water. So the discard was smaller than doing 60 or 100g starter to feed.

I made pancakes this morning with the discard, and likely will make them again tomorrow. :yum:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom